Is there a purpose of logging exercises for weight loss?

When I set up my weight goal, I selected the 'moderately active' option for 'activity level' under goals, which gave me a larger daily calorie allowance than if I chose sedentary. Is there a purpose of logging these exercise I'm already doing to maintain my "moderately active" lifestyle to give a bigger food allowance if it seems that myfitnesspal already accounted for that when calculating my initial calorie allowance?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Your activity level on this site is supposed to be figured without intentional exercise.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Your activity level on this site is supposed to be figured without intentional exercise.

Exactly, meaning you should pick the level that matches your nornal daily activity excluding exercise. If without the deliberate exercise you are sedentary, pick sedentary and then log your exercise separately.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you included your intentional exercise when choosing your activity goal (which isn't how MFP is designed, but you're free to use it however you want), then you don't want to log your exercise because it will result in "double dipping." Those calories are already counted.

If you use MFP as designed (choosing an activity level that reflects your daily activity before intentional exercise is done), then logging your exercise will give you a more accurate picture of how many calories you're using each day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    The standard definitions of activity level are just confusing for the NEAT method. It would be nice if the site better defined activity EXCLUDING intentional exercise. E.g. in terms of daily steps before exercise or something like that.