Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Uncommon meat selection

alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 554 Member Member Posts: 554 Member
in Recipes
Hi all,

Just moved and saw there is a Brazilian and ethnic meat market nearby. I saw some chicken feet, cow’s ears, and pig snout! Deer has also been on my list to try.

Wondering if anyone has other uncommon meat choices and if you could share recipes :)

Replies

• nikkigetsthinnernikkigetsthinner Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member
    Those are all common ingredients in my country. We even eat cow's nose. We boil it until it turns jelly-like, stir it in some peanut sauce with green beans, bean sprouts, shrimp crackers, fried tofu, and other green veggies. I don't really like it though. It tasted funny to me.

Chicken feet we usually make into soup or stir-fried. We use a lot of spices such as chillies, shallots, turmeric, ginger, galangal, and bay leaves for the soup seasoning. You blend all the seasoning ingredients except bay leaves, saute it in a little bit of oil with the leaves, and then pour water (or better yet, chicken broth) in. Boil the chicken feet with any other toppings you like (the usual is meatballs, eggs, and crackers), add salt, sugar, and pepper to taste. In Indonesia, we call this "seblak" and usually very spicy.
  • joshchapojoshchapo Member, Premium Posts: 30 Member Member, Premium Posts: 30 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just moved and saw there is a Brazilian and ethnic meat market nearby. I saw some chicken feet, cow’s ears, and pig snout! Deer has also been on my list to try.

Wondering if anyone has other uncommon meat choices and if you could share recipes :)

I am an avid wild game eater
    Deer (venison) is so tasty!!! But be sure to cook rare-medium rare and be sure it’s the last thing you plate up as venison cooks really fast then cools down fast also. I just go old school that my dad taught me
    ( lil butter,salt+pepper flip few times on each side cook for 3-4 minutes each side medium heat don’t cut to check as tasty juices will run out and dry out venison quick) (accommodate thickness) if thin maybe 2-3 min each side
    we don’t add anything crazy b/c if cooked properly venison has its own tender flavor!! But if cooked wrong .... you will most likely not be appetized. Writing about it makes me want venison tonight,
    Venison in my freezer at all times
    I also eat grey squirrel, wild turkey, and one of my favorite is snapping turtle meat! Packed with so much protein and very very little fat. I make turtle burgers and meatballs, not a fan of turtle soup
    Turtle meat needs no seasoning as it has a great zesty flavor already
    If you try the venison post how you liked it?
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 554 Member Member Posts: 554 Member
    joshchapo wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am an avid wild game eater
    Deer (venison) is so tasty!!! But be sure to cook rare-medium rare and be sure it’s the last thing you plate up as venison cooks really fast then cools down fast also. I just go old school that my dad taught me
    ( lil butter,salt+pepper flip few times on each side cook for 3-4 minutes each side medium heat don’t cut to check as tasty juices will run out and dry out venison quick) (accommodate thickness) if thin maybe 2-3 min each side
    we don’t add anything crazy b/c if cooked properly venison has its own tender flavor!! But if cooked wrong .... you will most likely not be appetized. Writing about it makes me want venison tonight,
    Venison in my freezer at all times
    I also eat grey squirrel, wild turkey, and one of my favorite is snapping turtle meat! Packed with so much protein and very very little fat. I make turtle burgers and meatballs, not a fan of turtle soup
    Turtle meat needs no seasoning as it has a great zesty flavor already
    If you try the venison post how you liked it?

I can’t wait to try it! Unfortunately I’m heading out of town for a week or so so it’ll be a bit... :(