WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather Agreed. You could make a fortune.

Lisa :D:D:D Yes
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Worked a 10 hr day,not that i did a whole lot but gosh im beat gonna hit the hay..doing a 24 tomorrow.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    edited July 2020
    💖💖💖
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Lisa: When I was a kid in the 1950’s TV was new, black and white and only on a few hours a day. Screens were small. There were kids shows that were a mix. Red Buttons was a TV show host who was always trying to flirt with the moms. I didn’t care for him. Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) were good guys. The Mickey Mouse Club was on TV and Annette Funicello was everybody’s favorite. As to children being better looking--I doubt it. My mom always said, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Back then a certain amount of plump was a sign of good health. Obesity and emaciation were signs of poverty or poor health. My question for you is this—do you think things have things changed or are they still similar? :huh: My take away from that time was that expectations for a better life were running high back then. I'm not so sure that is still the case.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    dlfk202000 nah, it can be plain salt in water, but the pink Himalayan salt has some minerals in it as well. Unfortunately you'd have to injest boatloads to reap the benefits. I like the taste of it, a bit milder than normal salt. Many times out headaches and grumpiness stems from some electrolyte imbalance going on. Some take electrolyte powder in their water, but you have to do your homework with that because some contain ingredients that can spike your insulin. 👍
    💖Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    dlfk202000 nah, it can be plain salt in water, but the pink Himalayan salt has some minerals in it as well. Unfortunately you'd have to injest boatloads to reap the benefits. I like the taste of it, a bit milder than normal salt. Many times out headaches and grumpiness stems from some electrolyte imbalance going on. Some take electrolyte powder in their water, but you have to do your homework with that because some contain ingredients that can spike your insulin. 👍
    💖Rebecca

Thank you- so I guess a piece of rock salt would work too- we used to suck on that as a kid- always had it around for making home made ice cream.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 838 Member
    Oh my! Olivia with her attitude and Athena and Levi just cuteness personified! I wonder, do their parents have a tough time saying no to them? I sure would! One look at those cute little faces and it would be "YES!" lol.
    Lisa, I think you may have something there with the kids being cuter now. I put it down to better nutrition and dental care. Or maybe my cheese is slipping off my cracker too.... Always a possiblity! lol I do remember when I was a young teenager, there was a couple in our town that were not attractive, but they were so very much in love. As time went on, it became quite obvious that she was pregnant. I was already feeling sorry for the baby, before it was born! Well, eventually, it was born, and I snuck a peek into the pram one day as I was walking past and I was happily surprised to see that baby was cute! I have no idea if baby grew up to look like a troll or a prince, but at least it was born cute! lol
    Pip, WOW! That "card" for Kirby is awesome!
    Heather, congrats on getting your deposit back from Saga! Nice to see your hubby back to his normal self too!
    Katla, sorry to hear about your pooch and his cancer.
    Went and had my nails done today, didn't bother with any color on them, just had the trimming, moisturizing and then the paraffin dip (my fave part!). My hands just slurped up the moisturizer, I use stuff at home, but maybe not enough, I don't know. I do know I need to use a cuticle oil more often, that would help with the scraggly bits! Next week I have a massage, then I will have had all the things done to me that I have missed over the last four months. I am looking forward to that. I was seeing her every four weeks, but I think I'm going to cut back to every 6-8 weeks. After all, it's been four months and I've been feeling okay! Feeling kind of headachy today, don't know what the problem is. I do know one problem, that is that I need to get up off my butt and get the dishwasher emptied and refilled and get the handwashing done as well. I want to bbq pork chops tonite and the flipper/grabber thing for that is dirty.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, feeling warm on Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :star:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Terri Enjoyed your poem. I use to write poetry and later in life wrote old-style Cowboy Poetry.

Sharon The hard thing about my unusual life is not knowing the what if's. When I am asked what would you change if you could, I immediately think of the horrible indescribable death of my closest best friend burning to death as a teenager as I stood helpless unable to do anything. I think of my baby perfectly formed but a few weeks premature and weak lungs so she lived 1 hour. I got to hold her but she was dead. She would be 50 this fall. So many bad things have happened in my life and I wonder if it had been different what I would be like today. Maybe I would be a horrible person with no compassion or maybe I would be a much better person than I am now. I will never know. I do know that as I am getting older I like to reminisce about the old days more than ever.

Faye
    in4ldcfjc0sg.jpg
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Lisa - I have given some thoughts to your question. I think we are all very fortunate to have very cute babies in our lives. I do know a couple babies that aren’t quite as pretty as others I would never say that though.

My Mom, myself, my eldest and my granddaughter all looked very similar as babies. The only way you can tell the difference between us is the quality of the photos.

I think I was ugly as a 5-6 year old, but younger I was cute. I think a lot of it had to do with my Mom’s idea of a good hairstyle.

This is my daughter and granddaughter. The pictures were taken at the same age wearing the same dress.
    um3gatocc3tp.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    edited July 2020
    This is me at different ages:

yb26olwabrvb.jpeg

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Design DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do jari Love’s Extremely Ripped DVD

Katla – (((HUGS))) you are doing the right thing for Schooner

My bridge came in so I go to the dentist tomorrow to get it put in

This am I ran to Lowes Hardware then WalMart to get some of the things I forgot yesterday then Food Lion to get milk for me to make more yogurt. The guy for the handrails came today for the deposit, then into the pool, then to the other WalMart to get a prescription for Vince, then CVS to get Cheerios since I had coupons that will be expiring in a day or two, then Food Lion because I didn’t know Vince needed milk when I was there earlier.

KJ – I’m hoping to get to see PJ this Sept. Assuming I can, what are some good toys for a 1-1/2yo? Thank goodness those undies went thru

M
    – if you can’t delete the parts of a post you are referring to when you reply (I never reply from my phone which is why I didn’t know this), maybe they can just make reference to what it is they are replying to?

About being independent – In that respect, it was a blessing in disguise that my mother died when I was so young. I had to do things for myself, and make sure I was prepared. When we moved to our first house, my gf whose house I went to after school after my mother died, said “why did you move so far away”. A few years later she got remarried and guess where they moved to? A few blocks away from me. Her husband was independent, too. Still is.

Karen VA – you gave me an idea. Maybe I’ll look and see about some gazbacho. I’m getting tired of the same thing for breakfast (I get bored easily) Update: downloaded a recipe, looks like I'll have to go to the store tomorrow to get some of the ingredients. I'm looking forward to this

Melissa – welcome! Come here when you get “fizzled out”. We’ll keep ya movin

Allie – how are your kidneys? You haven’t mentioned them in a while.

Mag SD – welcome

SuziQ – stay safe. Sounds like you have things pretty well under control

Pip – that was a very inventive gift Kirby got. Something like that, to me, means so much more than just going to a store and buying something. You know they put thought into it

Carol GA – do you refrigerate your salmon patties before you cook them? I usually do and that helps to hold them together. My father taught me that.

Karen VA
    – so happy for Shona. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Lisa – I think Beth is quite insiteful. I have a friend who, when she had a grandson, I honestly thought he was ugly. Of course, I wouldn’t tell her that. I just saw a pic of him now 5 years later and he doesn’t look as ugly.

Heather – YEA for getting you deposit back.

Lanette – how I wish I were closer to you. Right now I’m making these crochet towel toppers and I could really use different color yarns.

It seems that too many young people aren’t willing to work for a better life, they want it handed to them.

Pip
    – LOL Yogi getting a tan!

Michele NC
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    👋
    Debby in Va
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Kirby got emotional when he got home telling me about it. he got to see the guy who trained him there when he started over 20years ago which was pretty awesome. they bought him more stuff and a big card. I'm going to take him to Seattle and spend the day walking around with yogi (like I did for all my other kids) and then pick him up and we'll bring all his stuff home.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Michelle in NC, most of the kids I know certainly aren’t looking to get it handed to them! The entry level jobs are being held down by retirees who need the extra cash. They’re not about to let go of those jobs. Kids put in app after app, try to get into ground floor school programs, but lenders won’t lend because their folks make too much money on paper or the kids haven’t been out of the house long enough. I see the kids practically pulling hair over dishwashing, housekeeping or server jobs. Life isn’t as easy for those kids as folks are assuming.

Pip, it almost sounded like you were going to literally pick Kirby up and carry him home.

Sharon Getting Drowsy Near Seattle
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    (((Katla)))
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌛💛