Calorie Counter

Message Boards Groups Happy Herbivores
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Vegans Reaching Protein Goals

CookieRehabCookieRehab Member, Premium Posts: 71 Member Member, Premium Posts: 71 Member
Vegans who reach their protein goals; how do you do it? What do you eat, on avg, during a typical day? About how much protein are you eating daily? Any tips?

I very rarely reach my protein goal :(. I would like to be able to consistently reach it and maybe even be able to raise it. I am vegan. I am also allergic to soy so I do not eat much processed foods.

Please and thank you!

Replies

• stpsdstpsd Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    If you can afford it, buy protein powder. I start my day off with protein powder because otherwise, I'm hungry all day. And if you find a good sale, you can buy it for about $1.50/serving. I stock up when I find it 30 percent off. You will find blends that are soy free. I'm also learning to make seitan from scratch (though so far it's been rubbery and awful, so I'm working on a good recipe) to augment my non-soy Asian dishes. And I eat beans/pulses at least once a day.
  • saltysparklesaltysparkle Member, Premium Posts: 109 Member Member, Premium Posts: 109 Member
    I am also trying to figure this out. I want to up my workouts, but I think I really need more protein to do it, and I don't want to rely on animal products. My limitation is not soy (thought I do try to limit that to no more than 2-3 servings a week), but to cashews. Everyone is always touting cashew butter as the thing to add or make sauces with, and I'm allergic.

• jquedaljquedal Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member
    I might get totally slammed for this, but science has shown that some of the healthiest, longest living populations on earth eat around 15% protein, no matter the source of the protein. We don't need any more than that, and too much can cause health problems for many people. That said, you can get plenty of protein on a vegan or plant based diet, through legumes, peas, quinoa, oats, broccoli, nuts and seeds, etc. Google plant based protein and you should find plenty of options. I avoid soy as well 99% of the time.
  • truebluecanadiantruebluecanadian Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member

I buy pea protein powder from the bulk food store. It is cheaper and cleaner then store bought. It is a quick easy breakfast. I add avocado and almond milt with a bit of cinnamon and frozen fruit.
    edited October 20
  • truebluecanadiantruebluecanadian Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    jquedal wrote: »
    I might get totally slammed for this, but science has shown that some of the healthiest, longest living populations on earth eat around 15% protein, no matter the source of the protein. We don't need any more than that, and too much can cause health problems for many people. That said, you can get plenty of protein on a vegan or plant based diet, through legumes, peas, quinoa, oats, broccoli, nuts and seeds, etc. Google plant based protein and you should find plenty of options. I avoid soy as well 99% of the time.

You are 100% right on this. People eat far too mush protein and it cause cause heath issues. My dietitian showed that the amount of protein that we should be eating per day NOT per meal is about the size of the palm of your hand.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,310 Member Member Posts: 24,310 Member
    jquedal wrote: »

You are 100% right on this. People eat far too mush protein and it cause cause heath issues. My dietitian showed that the amount of protein that we should be eating per day NOT per meal is about the size of the palm of your hand.

I wouldn't feel very good if I limited my daily protein to the size of my hand. Given that different plant foods have different amounts of protein per volume, I'm not even sure how this is backed by any evidence. My "palm" in beans and my "palm" in seitan is very different in terms of protein, right?