Why is this happening?

13»

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    On days when you don't do any intentional exercise, you should eat 1200 calories. Note the word 'intentional'. MFP assumes some activity and takes that in to account when calculating your maintenance calories. Even a sedentary person is assumed to take around 3500 steps a day. That's from walking around your house, school, office, wherever during a typical day.

If you do some exercise and burn 100 cals,you should eat 1300 cals (1200 + 100)
    On days where you do more exercise / go for a longer walk and burn more, you should eat however much more you have burned.

Your NET calories (food eaten minus exercise burned) should not be below 1200.
  • kaylakim18
    kaylakim18 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2020
    yirara wrote: »
    kaylakim18 wrote: »

So lets say I worked out today and I burned 100 calories from it, so I am suppose to consume back the 100 calories i burned am I right?? (according to MFP)

Yes. But you've still not answered how you measure your food intake. Are you using a foodscale for everything that has calories and are you making sure the database entries you select are correct? Considering you lost 1kg in a month it sounds like you're actually logging too little and hence you're eating more than you think - which is good news as it means you're not undereating.

Nope I am not using a foodscale, usually I just calculate the amount of calories with the nutrition label at the back. How do I make sure I select the correct database entries?? Do you have any tips on how to key in the correct amount of calories as well as how to key in calories when I eat out(I rarely eat out but yea just in case)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Compare the nutritional information from the database entries to the food label of whatever you’re eating and use the one that matches. Companies change their product content over time and entries that were once accurate (and that you’ve double checked) can be wrong later. I just had to find a new entry for the yogurt I’ve been eating for years. A serving went from 240 grams per serving to 170 grams per serving.

You should really use a food scale. It is the best way to know how much you’re eating. Most people are really bad at eyeballing portions. And measuring cups/spoons leave a lot of room for error. Food scales are cheap to buy on amazon or at Wal mart.
  • kaylakim18
    kaylakim18 Posts: 15 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Compare the nutritional information from the database entries to the food label of whatever you’re eating and use the one that matches. Companies change their product content over time and entries that were once accurate (and that you’ve double checked) can be wrong later. I just had to find a new entry for the yogurt I’ve been eating for years. A serving went from 240 grams per serving to 170 grams per serving.

You should really use a food scale. It is the best way to know how much you’re eating. Most people are really bad at eyeballing portions. And measuring cups/spoons leave a lot of room for error. Food scales are cheap to buy on amazon or at Wal mart.

Some of the food like fish bought in the market or vegetables does not have the nutrition label then how do I calculate the calories?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    kaylakim18 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Some of the food like fish bought in the market or vegetables does not have the nutrition label then how do I calculate the calories?

go to the USDA or ASDA food database and then use the entry label from there to search MFP. In the USDA food database, I'd suggest checking legacy only to help filter the results.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    There is a lot of difference between 0.5 kg and 0.5 lbs; aim for 0.5 lbs, which is more reasonable for a small woman who doesn't have a lot to lose. Keep in mind that your logging needs to be pretty accurate (use a food scale!) if you are aiming for a small deficit like 250 cal/day.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2020
    Examine your diet. Are you weighing everything you put pass your lips?
    More importantly, what are you eating? 4 cups of veggies? 3 cups of fruit? 0.7-1g of protein per lb is what has been working for me. Processed foods at a minimum, cook and prep everything yourself...
    How much sleep do you get? 7-9 hours will keep your body functioning and recovering as it should...
    Your calorie intake needs to be 1200 at least. Your body will retain what it can if it is not.
    Weight training will help. Cardio is fine but more for mental clarity than anything