Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Dislike Button

JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Member Posts: 2,272 Member Member Posts: 2,272 Member
Dislike button is annoying. Examples I have seen:

Vegan announces her favorite vegan snack...gets tons of dislikes a few you should eat meat comments

Someone says Oh your plants are beautiful the school bully has to push dislike on such a sweet comment...Did they hate The one ladies plants 🌱 or the poster? Definitely couldn’t be the comment.

Person asks for Keto recipes... bunch of dislikes a few posts against keto

Person posts their going to try harder... gets dislikes leaves MFP because instead of uplifting them the worst trolls pushed dislike to be cruel because the poster was heavy set.

The reason for dislike just is used for hurting others. If a person posts a recipe last thing they need to see is an unsupportive community putting a bunch of dislikes . Why they do it? To say they hate frosting,not inline with their diet feels the person needs to choose their choices only,to bully because they hate the person for silly reasons,or on accident trying to hit the buttons next to it.

I hate seeing my good friends to young people even new moms on here getting dislikes when their already depressed from Covid job losses , spouse left them, feeling depressed from no contact with others for months now,family members dead or sick from Covid,fears of a family member being in a nursing home having cravings y feeling like giving up the last thing they need a bunch of dislikes on a cat picture they posted to a recipe trying to seek out positive support.

Rethink the dislike button if you have nothing nice to say it’s better to say nothing at all.

Replies

• gearhead426hemigearhead426hemi Member Posts: 820 Member Member Posts: 820 Member
    I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying but if you are putting things out in public unfortunately you are opening yourself up for criticism. The world is full of trolls just looking for the opportunity to be mean. So if you are putting it out there just know you might not get the results you are looking for. The world is a crazy place right now and people are would up ready to snap at the littlest things. Focus on the people who boost you and not drag you down. My wife says this all the time and I find it to ring true for most things. " insecurity is loud and confidence is silent". This is just my 2cents of course.
  • JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Member Posts: 2,272 Member Member Posts: 2,272 Member
    Name like Whoo button sounds a lot nicer than a dislike or disagree buttons.

Disagree can be seen as #2 instead of #1 for many especially if their depressed to having a very hard day like a family death to job loss. Many in here already lack self confidence or we’ll get combative seeing disagree pushed. It leads to either hurt feelings or an all out rages of attacks then MFP has to step in to stop the arguments a majority of the times.
    ed2ikt135nqr.jpeg

Whoo seems to fit way better good suggestion Nacho-daddy
    zhk1uwe1bwp7.jpeg
    ookakis0449ngn.jpeg
    6uaoa20xx44s.jpeg
    h3ax0gka6m9d.jpeg

• JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Member Posts: 2,272 Member Member Posts: 2,272 Member
    Lol 3 disagrees already guess some of the disagree trolls already found us.
  • harper16harper16 Member Posts: 1,972 Member Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    I believe they used to have a woo button, but it was gotten rid of, I'm assuming for the same reasons you listed for wanting the disagree button changed, or removed.
    Harper your probably right very insightful. Maybe a Wow 😳 button that way folks can take it as positive or shock .

How about Unamused 😒
    e1iuq8prmiku.jpeg

Or
    Hmmm 🤔 (to mean your unsure about that)
    xsel8i14rn96.jpeg

• harper16harper16 Member Posts: 1,972 Member Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    I personally don't care if someone disagrees with me. I honestly don't even know what my disagree count even is. I hope people don't take a simple reaction so seriously in their life.
    Harper one almost did she’s on my friend list was suicidal just asking for friends got so many disagrees it was ridiculous as if every troll found it at once she’s only in her 20’s. The girl who left unsure her age she was wanting to loose weight for gastric bypass she was already vulnerable.

I’m a strong personality like you I can take it ,but I’ve met others who cannot who do not speak up for themselves in life or online. When in a group see a disagree hit folks assume it was a member but it could just be a troll hopping from feed to feed pushing it as a hobby. I feel that since being born disabled I have been blessed to have folks who stood up for me when I was younger .I’m more confident able to protect others who are where I was as a squeaky low voiced sickly kid back in the day because they spoke up to befriended me when I needed it most...even I still get a unsure vulnerability days because of my mom body to child rearing at such an old age like many here. I even uplifted one guy who’s prostate surgery was embarrassed to ask questions on the topic (same as when us Gals have issues in that region) has questions on how to exercise that area since luckily I’m going through healing in the same area. Luckily for him My disability makes me see things as a normal part of life’s obstacles so no shame .

Sure a more neutral button that’s more beat around the Bush is needed instead .

The most disagrees I saw pushed one month was on a breastfeeding moms diet question about her dwindling milk supply .Like a crying hungry newborn on her plate wasn’t enough.

Think 🤔 a button like this is more friendly . By the way Harper your profile pic of the water is beautiful!! If that’s your daily view from your house your lucky 🍀 I would never close my windows with such a view.
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,386 Member Member Posts: 7,386 Member
    I am unable to locate the "Dislike" button you're discussing.

I do see a "disagree" button, which I often use when I factually disagree with the contents of a post.

I find that it reduces the friction of multiple people responding to say that the post they disagree with was factually incorrect.
    PAv- We’re talking about the disagree button . It sounds like your one of the few who uses it correctly for its actual intended purpose. If everyone used it the way you are it would actually be kinder MFP wouldn’t have this issue again.

MaltedTea- I have read many of Ann posts I find her very insightful. Maybe we need a Hangry button lol 😂. I’ve noticed a unusual increase in the numbers of Disagree pushed since Covid hit.Sure MFP Admins have too. It went up has been like walking through a shed of wasp nests. Sounds like your using it correctly.Hopefully the kind can balance out the more hangry members out there y trolls who keep coming out from their bridges. Big hugs 🤗 good night hopefully folks will start to think about if their using it correctly or to be mean spirited before pushing a disagree button so quickly. Or just use a emoji like you said, they have no words so definitely more mellow.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,326 Member Member Posts: 23,326 Member
    I'm empathetic to people who are feeling vulnerable, but if you're in a state where having anonymous disagreement with your post is compromising your mental health, I'm not sure there is going to be a workable solution (other than choosing to limit online activities). It's the internet, people are going to disagree. As forums go, MFP is actually pretty tame.

As a vegan, someone saying "you should eat meat" isn't even top ten of the most aggressive or mean-spirited things you encounter online. Anyone who expects widespread approval for their veganism outside of vegan spaces is deluding themselves. It's an active challenge to a widespread human belief system, you're going to get pushback from some people.
    Thankyou moderator for getting back with us. Think moving the button would be a great solution to weed out some of the oopsies too.

Jane I’ve seen worse on Vegan posts being a mom of 2 Types of vegetarian kids (1 adult in the Navy) trust me I’ve seen worse but MFP removes them I cannot repeat them they were that bad. Something along the lines of they went as far as saying parents of Vegans should ..... mhmmm you know what type horrible fill in the blank here with your mind (which is why they were removed!)
    The younger gal who was suicidal she only posts on my private page now .I suggested she avoided the main stream.

Trust me the moderator I’m sure can contest their are a few hangry trolls out there that have said things us civilized folks would be left in utter shock from.

I think we covered everything Moderator can shut down post as old news suggest to higher ups moving the button to reduce the issue. The worst they can say is no.
    edited July 9
    Message the moderator removed I wrote in Spanish an old family saying ,but it just meant
    A message is better received with kindness than hate.

Food for thought when approaching a person who’s mind you wish to change.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,326 Member Member Posts: 23,326 Member
    Thankyou moderator for getting back with us. Think moving the button would be a great solution to weed out some of the oopsies too.

Jane I’ve seen worse on Vegan posts being a mom of 2 Types of vegetarian kids (1 adult in the Navy) trust me I’ve seen worse but MFP removes them I cannot repeat them they were that bad. Something along the lines of they went as far as saying parents of Vegans should ..... mhmmm you know what type horrible fill in the blank here with your mind (which is why they were removed!)
    The younger gal who was suicidal she only posts on my private page now .I suggested she avoided the main stream.

Trust me the moderator I’m sure can contest their are a few hangry trolls out there that have said things us civilized folks would be left in utter shock from.

I think we covered everything Moderator can shut down post as old news suggest to higher ups moving the button to reduce the issue. The worst they can say is no.

I think you're conflating two different issues here. Abusive comments or wishing harm on people, I think we can agree that isn't appropriate. I think we can also generally agree that the moderators do a pretty good job of removing those comments when they do show up.

The other issue, the topic of the OP, is the "disagree" button. I don't think I agree that this is harmful to the average person. If you're in a special situation where knowing that someone disagrees with your online comment will be the cause of mental distress, it probably would be better to limit overall forum participation because it's not realistic to expect everyone to agree with you. Clicking a "disagree" button and giving that anonymous feedback is so mild as far as online reactions go. In some cases, it may actually help streamline conversations because it allows people to indicate their feelings without the need to make a separate post and take the conversation in that direction.

My point is that vegans should already be anticipating that many people disagree with us (otherwise, well, they'd be vegan!). Why is it going to throw me to see someone click "disagree" when I recommend a vegan snack?

Sadly, I wouldn't be shocked to see what people post online. I know how bad it can get on other sites, which is why I think the "disagree" button is nothing to be concerned with.
    I classified the cruel ones as hangry not the ones using it correctly in a respectful manner. I rather think the ones who do it bully are just hangry instead of we’ll mean to be mean. Guess I’m making excuses for the bullies behavior (not the ones using it correctly).