Calorie Counter

Message Boards Getting Started
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Count calories or macros for weight loss

strongernursestrongernurse Member, Premium Posts: 89 Member Member, Premium Posts: 89 Member
What do you think is more important for weight loss? Count calories or macros?

I have been focusing on macros, but it’s starting to stress me out.

Replies

• gcmintongcminton Member Posts: 130 Member Member Posts: 130 Member
    I keep an eye on both since I'm following a keto diet, but ultimately calories are king when it comes to weight loss. When I had a more broad diet I just focused on calories and trying to make sure I was getting a good amount of protein since that matters to me personally.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970Megan_smartiepants1970 Member Posts: 13,314 Member Member Posts: 13,314 Member
    I also do both because I am a keto'er ...Calories is what matters ..as long as you are in a deficient you will lose weight :)
    edited July 27
  • RedordeadheadRedordeadhead Member Posts: 686 Member Member Posts: 686 Member
  • JDavid007JDavid007 Member Posts: 335 Member Member Posts: 335 Member
    I switch it up, but keto its really important. I think its always good to look for a balance.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,353 Member Member Posts: 23,353 Member
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Some people find counting macros to useful for controlling appetite, supporting fitness, or meeting nutritional needs, but if it doesn't help you or make your life easier, there's no compelling reason (IMO) to do it.
  • nmeekins85nmeekins85 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    I’m counting both since the app essentially does it for me, but you have to do what’s right for you. If counting macros makes you not want to do it at all, then just worry about calories at first. You can always switch it up later once you get used to logging everything.💫
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 26,952 Member Member Posts: 26,952 Member
    It's technically the same thing. Each macronutrient contains calories. Proteins and carbs contain 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Counting calories is easier. If you're starting out, I'd start by counting calories. As you get better and better at counting calories, you can start tracking and tweaking your macros if you'd like.
  • Dogmom1978Dogmom1978 Member Posts: 232 Member Member Posts: 232 Member
    JDavid007 wrote: »
    I switch it up, but keto its really important. I think its always good to look for a balance.

Keto is a fad diet just like all other fad diets. CICO is all that matters. If keto helps you accomplish a calorie deficit, good for you. Keto itself is STILL not important though and never will be.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 38,010 Member Member Posts: 38,010 Member
    What do you think is more important for weight loss? Count calories or macros?

I have been focusing on macros, but it’s starting to stress me out.

Calories are what matter for weight management. Macros make up your calories...4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, 9 calories per gram of dietary fat. There isn't anyone universally optimal macro ratio...it's very individual and pertains more to physical performance and satiety and perhaps body composition if you have more advanced goals in that regard.
  • emmies_123emmies_123 Member Posts: 434 Member Member Posts: 434 Member
    I started with pure CICO - calorie in calorie out. That helped me lose about 20 of my 25 lbs to lose. Only recently (last 4 months or so) have I started watching macros and that helped me break the plateau and lose the last five.

When I started with macros I also only started one at a time. My order priority was protein, fat, sugar, fiber. I don't watch carbs because even in my CICO days I never really had trouble with that one. I made sure one macro was under control before starting to focus on a second one, and then a third, etc.
  • ShortgirlrunningShortgirlrunning Member Posts: 964 Member Member Posts: 964 Member
    I really only pay attention to calories. You don’t have to track macros at all to lose weight. If it’s stressing you out then just forget about them and focus on calories. You can always start tracking them again later if you want.
  • 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 17,710 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 17,710 MFP Moderator
    It's technically the same thing. Each macronutrient contains calories. Proteins and carbs contain 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Counting calories is easier. If you're starting out, I'd start by counting calories. As you get better and better at counting calories, you can start tracking and tweaking your macros if you'd like.

Solid advice, I also recommend this if you are new to tracking. Tracking macros can be helpful but it can be alot to balance at first.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,353 Member Member Posts: 23,353 Member
    slunburg wrote: »
    JDavid007 wrote: »

Keto is a fad diet just like all other fad diets. CICO is all that matters. If keto helps you accomplish a calorie deficit, good for you. Keto itself is STILL not important though and never will be.

I think they meant that ON keto it's important to count macros, not that keto is important for weight loss or something that one is required to do to lose weight.
  • cpnknightcpnknight Member Posts: 49 Member Member Posts: 49 Member
    Calories in must be less than calories out.....simple.....but blooming hard work!
  • RockingWithLJRockingWithLJ Member Posts: 76 Member Member Posts: 76 Member
    I think everyone is hitting the same point. I make sure to at least hit a certain protein amount for recovery purpose but I also believe the 40-30-30 macro setting is pretty legit for a well balanced diet based on recommended servings of veggies, fruits, e tc