Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Over calculating calories burned through steps

ErikapocalypseErikapocalypse Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
Hi. I'm currently connected with MFP and my Garmin watch. I've noticed 2 issues. Firstly, the calories for my steps seem to be vastly over calculates. For example, I've done about 4500 steps today and it's being logged at over 500 calories burned. Secondly, when I do a run with my watch, it seems to add both the steps and the calories for the exercise. So my net calorie gain for today has gone over 800 calories. I just wanted to highlight this in case its possibly affecting others and is definitely making my goals trickier to work out

Replies

• LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,024 Member Member Posts: 1,024 Member
    Strange, I've taken 5700 steps and I only have 72 extra calories.
    Your step count including your steps taken during exercise is normal though, that doesn't mean it's counting the calories double. MFP just looks at your total calorie burn from Garmin, compares it to your theoretical total calorie burn (based on chosen activity level) +calorie burn from exercise, and adjusts based on the difference.

I'm wondering if there aren't still some syncing issues with Garmin after their downtime, I got some weird calorie adjustments this week.
    Aside from that, your Garmin might be doing strange things, not necessarily the sync at play.

Is this a new issue? Have you had MFP and Garmin synced for long?
  • ErikapocalypseErikapocalypse Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks. I tried it a few months ago, and it was doing the same thing, so I stopped the step tracking.
    Then I tried again after Garmin went down and have the same problem
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 17,767 Member Member Posts: 17,767 Member
    1st - there is no MFP calculation of calories for steps UNLESS you do not actually sync accounts, and have only told MFP to use the Garmin as a step source.

If food totals are showing up in Garmin - you are likely NOT doing that.

In which case Garmin sends a daily calorie burn to MFP.
    That's where the math comes from.
    Steps is merely a figure like glasses of water - nothing done with it but display it.

2nd - yes steps from the run show up - but calories is NOT double-counted just because a workout is sent over.

My syncing after the hacker issue has been right on. Exercise days, non-exercise below MFP activity level days.
    Those are my only 2 situations - just fine.

3rd - some people have a concept of their daily activity level that is wrong - they are set to Sedentary (not very active) and that is not correct. They get adjustments for both being more active than that, and for exercise.
    May make it appear high, but really not.

Now, with exercise as it's own listing, the adjustment should be lowered that amount.

Tap and hold on that adjustment in your exercise diary on a day with a workout, take a pic, and put in thread here. That'll spell out real quick which method is being used and if it's right or wrong.

• ErikapocalypseErikapocalypse Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
    This is what shows up
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,024 Member Member Posts: 1,024 Member
    Your image(s) aren't visible.