• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is National Dog Day!

They deserve a global day, because we love our dogs! "National Dog Day on August 26th encourages dog ownership of all breeds. While seeking a new companion, be sure to consider the mutts, mixes, purebreds, and everything in between. Whether mixed or purebred, embrace the opportunity for all dogs to live a happy, safe, and abuse-free life. They all give us companionship. Additionally, they keep us safe, and they aid those in need. Dogs play. Well, they play many roles in our lives, too! They keep us healthy, both physically and mentally."

Karen - I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's treehouse. Such a shame, but I'm glad the family is safe.

Heather & Katla - My mom and her friends never left the house without makeup either. Which is kind of odd, because they didn't mind going out with their hair in hard pink plastic curlers with a scarf tied over them!

Debbie - You have some beautiful cats! I'm envious... I'd have a whole bunch if it were up to me but Philip wouldn't stand for it. We'll probably get another now that we're down to one, but two cats is about all I'm likely to peacefully negotiate.

Machka - I'm glad your brother and his family are getting out of there. Hurricane Laura is looking to be a dangerous one. Last I saw, offshore shell buoys were reporting waves higher than they were before Katrina. Forecasts are predicting an "unsurvivable" storm surge. My heart hurts for everyone in Laura's path.

I'm behind again... what else is new? Took me until Hump Day to get back after the weekend!

Over the weekend I made my first pavlova. I've always wanted to taste one and never had the chance so I made that my Sunday project. It came out pretty well. I've also been making homemade paletas to help us get through the summer heat.

-Yvonne in TX
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊💛
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is National Dog Day!

Debbie - You have some beautiful cats! I'm envious... I'd have a whole bunch if it were up to me but Philip wouldn't stand for it. We'll probably get another now that we're down to one, but two cats is about all I'm likely to peacefully negotiate.

I'm behind again... what else is new? Took me until Hump Day to get back after the weekend!

Over the weekend I made my first pavlova. I've always wanted to taste one and never had the chance so I made that my Sunday project. It came out pretty well. I've also been making homemade paletas to help us get through the summer heat.

-Yvonne in TX

Thank you-
    The funny thing here is that it was not my idea to keep all of the cats- My husband and son are the ones that wanted to keep every one of them. I am definitely a cat person- have always had a cat. Husband has always liked both cats and dogs but I never knew how much he would get attached to the cats- he pays more attention to them than he does me for sure-hear him say I love you to the cats all the time, haven't heard him say it to me in a long time. Son is also a cat person. He was the one who really wanted us to keep the third and forth cat.
    During the winter it is nice having them snuggle up with us but during the summer it gets a bit warm. Their catio is right outside our bedroom window so that window stays open all year long and all night long they are running across the bed and jumping up into the window and into their catio-

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Insomnia again last night- got to sleep a little after 2:30AM, some darn telemarketer called at 5;30AM then alarm went off at 8. Have been dragging all day so, even though it is only 5:30PM, I am going to head for bed. Very glad my son and I are both off tomorrow so I get to really sleep in.
    Hope everyone has a great evening. I will catch up on posts tomorrow.

Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Praying for the folks on the Gulf Coast. The hurricane is expected to hit land around mid-night at a category 3. Storm surge may be as high as 20 feet!

They've upgraded it to a category 4 and the storm surge is now "unsurvivable". It is supposed to hit at high tide and travel in 30 km. If it does that, my brother's city will be inundated.

My brother and family have fled.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Katla - Thank you - I am very safe because I am on the Atlantic side of the state.

The green arrow points to my location.

nysljhmw93n5.png

See that first black dot when Laura makes landfall ... that's my brother's location.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I am hoping all will evacuate the dangerous path of the hurricane. I saw on the news that some want to stay with their possessions. I worry for them if 20 feet of water hits suddenly.

M in oz I have friends there and they have already evacuated. Glad that your brother is out also.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Cathe Cardio Mashup DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Abs Diet DVD.

Heather – a cauliflower cake? Never heard of one. Can you post the recipe?

M – sending good thoughts for your family. Of course you’re concerned.

Going to go to Kohl’s to take some shoes back. They will take a return of shoes even tho they have been worn. I was surprised to find this out. Anyway, they open early on Wednesdays for seniors so I’ll go then then go to Aldi. Then might stop at Michael’s to return some yarn. I got some gray yarn thinking that one towel I did was gray but it was actually black lettering so the topper in black looked better. Update: got everything done in less than an hour. Came home, put away the groceries, got dinner ready for tonight, made Vince garlic bread and hard boiled some eggs. We have a zoom meeting with our lawyer in a few. Hopefully, after the meeting I can go in the pool

Carol GA
    – I find that I only need to iron 100% cotton shirts. If the shirt is a poly blend, it usually doesn’t need to be ironed

Well, returning my scale to Amazon. Here it is less than two weeks, and the low battery indicator is already coming on. Fortunately, Vince has a postal scale but it also does grams. I don’t know if it can tare out or not, but I don’t think that’ll be a big problem if it doesn’t. When I went to Kohl’s to return the scale, I saw a pair of pants. Of course, the fitting room is closed. I really don’t understand why. Anyway, I brought them home, tried them on, and think I’ll probably return them. I just don’t like the way they fit me. Update: it does tare out

Cleaned out the spa because it’s so warm I’m thinking that I just may go in it tonight. Update: I did

Tracey – echo what Katla said

Dietingright – welcome!

Vicki – tell me about how hindsight is 20/20. I know that I wasn’t real nice to my father. Now that he’s gone, I think about him every day and wish he were here.

Montinacrosby – welcome

Well, Denise just called. Seems Pete’s MD office called Monday to say that the MD was on vacation. Pete is going to another MD Sept. 1. He says he’s in a lot of pain, but I have to wonder. If they’re comfortable waiting, I would think it’s not that serious.

Michele NC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Machka: Glad to hear your brother and family got out! Hope their home is spared. So sorry about the results of DH's MRI. I know how hard it is to feel 'stuck' without the freedom to pursue your authentic life. ((hugs))

Pip: When's the housewarming party? 🎈🎉🍹🍾🥂 Your place looks bright and beautiful.

Caregiving craziness today. DH took off on a walk to who knows where, and I fortunately managed to catch him before he got out of sight. However, he was in a pissy mood and despite my best efforts to redirect, kept pounding on locked door of a neighbor who has the same unit as ours, but in adjacent identical condo building. Neighbor lady was very understanding, and eventually I got DH back into the right home. He was dehydrated after 30 minutes of charging around in 90 degree heat. I didn't feel so fresh either. A drink, a meal and long nap later, he is fine.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    NOW praying for all in the path of Hurricane Laura
    with the covid? Not gonna happen. Just did a FaceTime with a Washington friend and I gave her a phone tour tho
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I have a hard time with the idea that it isn’t your choice whether or not you can travel. Who has the authority to prevent you from traveling? You’re both adults. Is it the agency that cared for your DH when he had his stroke? :huh: I hope dental problems are resolved soon.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

My husband didn't have a stroke.

He had a workplace accident (a fall from several metres) on March 22, 2018.

More in spoiler ...
    The result of the fall was a severe traumatic brain injury, with 29% overall disability, diagnosed as such by the extent of damage in his brain, the length of time in coma (2.5 weeks), the length of time he was in Post Traumatic Amnesia (7 weeks) and extensive subsequent testing.

Because it was a workplace accident, it falls under the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act and therefore, the insurance company used by the company he worked for is required to pay him a certain amount for a certain length of time. They are also required to cover medical expenses applicable to the injury. In other words, a teeth cleaning at the dentist would not be covered, but his MRI was.

In the Act it says, "If a worker takes annual recreational leave or a period of long service leave during a period of incapacity in accordance with subsection (1) (b) , the worker is not entitled to receive weekly payments for compensation during that annual recreational leave or long service leave."

So yes, we can travel ... but he will lose money on the days we travel.

Also, the Act says, "An injured worker is to perform any actions that the worker is required to perform under the worker's approved injury management plan or approved return-to-work plan." The insurance company has appointed a RTW coordinator who I've talked about before. So if she says he has to go to an interview or another medical appointment or something on a particular day, he goes. And she isn't known for giving a lot of advanced notice. If we were able to travel to the mainland, for example, we could end up having to cut the trip short all of a sudden.

Regarding settlement, there could be no move toward settlement in the first two years because of the Act ... well, there could, but it gets really complicated and difficult and may not result in an agreeable settlement. The usual way of doing it is to wait 2 years.

Also, neurologists etc. have generally agreed that the human brain recovers for the first 2 years after a severe traumatic brain injury and then either just plateaus or slows down significantly, so we would not have acquired medical agreement on his condition prior to 2 years anyway.

Of course, at the 2 year mark, everything went into shutdown because of C19.

So yes, now we are hoping for a settlement. But it isn't up to us. The insurance company has to agree to it.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) Jake's eye exam was long but the result was good...nothing to worry about. I walked for almost an hour then sat in the car and read my audio book. Even with dilated eyes, he was able to fix lunch. Yippee.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I'm thinking about everyone in the way of Laura <3

The blind man comes at 11 today to fit my blind. I hope the remote action proves reliable over time. ;)

I signed my son up to come and help move stuff the night before the sanders come in September. We can do small stuff and the sanders are moving the two big sofas and the very heavy pine table for a fee, but my son can do the in-between stuff. Getting old does have to have some perks and DH's back is not good. He thinks I worry too much and then he complains about it for weeks afterwards. ;) Still haven't decided if we want stain.
    I get very nervous before any work on the house. I hate disruption. :| Even minor disruption. I hate breaking eggs to make an omelette. It causes me a lot of anxiety, but I'm usually OK once it all gets going. I like having burly men in the house. :o:D
    Apparently, these days, it creates very little dust. It sucks as it sands. :p

Woke up early this morning in anticipation of the blind man. Now must get up, be thankful, and take DH a cup of tea. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Watching a university development "course" on procrastination ...

g5mas80s8kdy.png

M in Oz