WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,433 Member
    To all in Laura's path, I hope you fair well! Being from the Pacific northwest, I am unfamiliar with that kind of weather, but we did hunker down thru typhoons in Japan. We were on base in cement high rise housing so it just swayed. We were instructed to tape our windows with big X's. Of course typhoons are seasonal unlike this weather.

Today at noon having the rest of my soup, and some crusty bread. I bought some treats to go with my coffee I have after my meals. They're called BIG FIGS, and they're just a healthier version of fig newtons. I bought both the raspberry, and fig flavored. I like having a treat with coffee, it makes me feel special.

Yesterday was our weekly raking up pine cones into the green recycling bin. Our property has so much debris from the tall trees. Our property managers state that with all the pine cones, the soil really cannot grow anything. So we had the spring grass grow, but that's done with, and now its bare. The back yard is bare too but they put gravel around the play area. Its an old climbing thing, with a swing. Not sturdy, but the management company wanted us to keep it up, so that's there. On the good side its not in direct view when we look out to survey the property. 👍😁

Today is a good day for a good day!
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,724 Member
    Karen- is the "thumper" you referred to one of the tens machines like Dr Ho? Glad to read your spouses issue isn't one of the big diseases. Hopefully, the symptoms subside soon.

Heather - enjoy your new blind!

Allie- My husband and I watched The Very Brady Renovation when it aired in the Winter here in Canada. It brought back a lot of memories for both of us as well.

Have a great day everyone,
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Lisa This morning is the first day in three weeks my lower back isn't sore from my last sciatic nerve attack. I hope yours is better soon. I used to do special exercises and heat/cold therapy, but just stayed on my normal routine but a gentler version this time and finally it is gone. I have no idea what caused the last flare-up. Do you do anything special to relieve it?

Faye -
    Don't know what caused mine either--but relieving it seemed to be a combination of time, and a knee pillow between my knees while I slept on the opposite side of the pain. I think it allowed the piriformis to shift into a neutral position and get the heck off that nerve. Wish a nap was the answer to some of my other ouchies!

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Heather, does the blind man know the blind lady from New Mexico? lol
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    I have always loved doing art, painting, drawing, and sculpture. I recently started learning computer art. I took a recent unaltered photo of me (nearing 70) and one from age 15 (summer after the death of a friend) and cut them out and pasted them on a blank "canvas." I learned all kinds of fun techniques for adding all kinds of things to create a story. This one represents that my life has been wrought with hardship but these hardships were overcome with a will to survive. I realized I could never change what happened or change other people but I could slay the demons that I allowed to haunt me. I am putting this in a spoiler as some might be offended. I call it, "Della Faye 55 years a Warrior Woman."
    bedke8m8fks7.jpg

• Faetta
    Rita Love the cat mask, but the blues lives flag one really speaks to me. Nice work!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited August 2020
    Faye Great computer art! :D<3 Definitely tells your story. Are you going to print it, or put it on a canvas? The colorway is great.

I don't consider myself in any way an artist, but I was amazed at what I could do for my book covers, just on my basic tablet. I astonished myself!

Karen - I had missed that your partner was having such problems. What a worry for you both. I hope time is a healer. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Soooo you know me i peruse the internet and have always wanted something near or on the water in my pricerange....hmmmm so i found one its a manufactured home in the next town over with lake views and deeded beach rights...its under what my place is worth and not alot of yard but a covered porch right across the plac we that you can sit out and look at the lake...if its meant to be it will be..
    Im hoping alot of people aren't going to pounce on it..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Tracey, the Thumper is a percussive massager, good for deep tissue massage.

Karen in Virginia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Cooked a delicious salmon laksa and tried my very best to keep the heat down. Poor DH found it too hot! :sad: I was so proud of myself for using up all the old veg. I thought it was perfect. I used to cook it whenever DH was off to his cricket, but he hasn't been going anywhere, of course, so I'm missing my 'funny food'.
    He valiantly ate it, but had to leave some of the sauce and noodles. <3
    I hate it when he doesn't find my food amazing! :/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    enjoying all the pictures: photos, creations, paintings, sewing projects, decor...

today:
    -walked a good half hour
    -got new distance glasses (very cheap version in very fast shop) and shopped for 1st progressive glasses (much
    more expensive and take longer).
    -bought requested cheese for friend visiting
    -some very low alcohol hard cider to bring to have very light drink with friend
    -spent quite a bit of time taking care of rental apartment 1 (a) sent rent receipt, (b) took step to book cleaner to
    -make up for a bit of lack of cleanliness left from last renter.(c) spent quite a bit of time on line with insurance so that they follow up on old light water damage issue covered by insurance
    took step to follow up old water damage issue in apartment I'm renter in too.
    -a wee bit of packing

I think that's about it.

have car rental at 10 am tomorrow then 5 hour drive or so with or plus breaks, depending on trip.

then at least a couple of days in the country.

schools open on Monday but already started getting emails today...

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: returned adjuster’s call, downloaded claims app, recycling, bank, post office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, gas. Freddie’s
    Bonus: made tuna salad, reconciled checking and credit card statements, 2 loads laundry, printed map for Eugene trip, ordered vitamins,
    Get to do: BB&B, take pics of car, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, t, Grocery Outlet, transplant and sow, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday 8/Altruistic August

26: support a good cause: SO PBS.
    27: notice and try to brighten someone who’s down.

Tech advised any procedure requiring driver would not happen same day, but be scheduled. Joe’s happy, he gets to drive himself in the van. I’m relieved and hope we never have to learn what Plan B was. Tech checked and computer still had appointments scheduled for this week (for the other eye?). She said she cancelled them. I hope!

Faye you are so right that 30 is too high. Joe’s had the laser burning holes treatments 3 times in that eye, and then recently the more drastic canaloplasty with microstent, then emergency lasering when his pressure was 56(!!!). He’s feeling much better, and we are hopeful the new pills will keep the pressure down while his eye clears. “always have something removed” ouch! “Pain for years before they figured it out?” SMH.
    Annie thanks for explaining about your mini stepper. Doubt I could balance on it without falling ;)
    Michele “When he fixes something I stay about as far away as I do when he’s doing the taxes.” :lol: That explains why Joe spends so much time in the garage when I’m doing ours.
    Pip :love: the patio! Surely those vines didn’t grow that fast? :wink:
    Machka sorry the MRI dx was a jolt. Hope some good (permanent disability finding/income?) comes of it.
    Barbie sending good thoughts for Jake’s appointment and hope your walking is safe and enjoyable.
    Carol imho line dried clothes, while they smell amazingly good, are stiff and scratchy. If we had a clothes line I might so dry sheets and pillowcases, but everything else goes in the drier. I :love: soft almost as much as I hate to iron.
    Heather your savoury cauliflower cake does look yummy, and yummier than the sweet-sneak-veggies-in cake that Julie and I imagined :sick: “threatened to give her cauliflower cake” :lol:
    Lisa neither would I allow Joe anywhere near my hair with scissors :astonished:
    Tracey hope her “other personality” gets lost while on holiday and never finds its way back. Meanwhile hope you and all your coworkers enjoy the break! Mama didn’t just iron sheets and pillow cases, but even Papa’s underwear. Then soon as I could stand up to the board, guess who got that chore? Never again!!! Tracey one’s body’s physical security is the baseline need that must be addressed before any others, even the need for family time/connection. I remember a brief time when my apartment was cold, nothing like what you lived through, but cold to me. I’d stay at work extra hours, then when I had to leave to catch the last train I’d cry because I didn’t want to go home. Please do not guilt yourself for wanting to be warm and clean.

Amazingly desk and keyboard are still empty of papers, despite daily influx of mail and stuff. Choosing to plant lettuce and mustard starts instead of trying to find even one thing in the sideboard pile to handle :devil:

Only through pg 101. Dinked around on pc so missed my chance to vacuum while Joe was out. Time to get up off my butt and go outside!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Karen - I had to go back and check, as well. I'm glad the news wasn't worse for your partner, but I know it's frustrating for you both.

The bathroom is tiptop and sparkly - I had my glasses on when I walked in there to take a shower, went EEK! and got to scrubbing everything from the floor and baseboards up. Usually, I've not got my glasses on, so can ignore the schmutz.
    :)

Calling it a day in terms of productivity... just spent a half hour looking for my glasses, and have yet to find them, so it's time to chill in front of the TV and get some crochet done...

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: returned adjuster’s call, downloaded claims app, recycling, bank, post office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, gas. Freddie’s
    Bonus: made tuna salad, reconciled checking and credit card statements, 2 loads laundry, printed map for Eugene trip, ordered vitamins,
    Get to do: BB&B, take pics of car, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, t, Grocery Outlet, transplant and sow, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday 8/Altruistic August

26: support a good cause: SO PBS.
    27: notice and try to brighten someone who’s down.

Tech advised any procedure requiring driver would not happen same day, but be scheduled. Joe’s happy, he gets to drive himself in the van. I’m relieved and hope we never have to learn what Plan B was. Tech checked and computer still had appointments scheduled for this week (for the other eye?). She said she cancelled them. I hope!

[
    Carol imho line dried clothes, while they smell amazingly good, are stiff and scratchy. If we had a clothes line I might so dry sheets and pillowcases, but everything else goes in the drier. I :love: soft almost as much as I hate to iron.
    [
    Amazingly desk and keyboard are still empty of papers, despite daily influx of mail and stuff. Choosing to plant lettuce and mustard starts instead of trying to find even one thing in the sideboard pile to handle :devil:

Only through pg 101. Dinked around on pc so missed my chance to vacuum while Joe was out. Time to get up off my butt and go outside!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=

I totally agree with you about line dried clothes- mom didn't do it very often when I was very young but still remember the stiffness/scratchy feeling- HATED it- I am very, extremely picky about how my clothes feel. I will actually feel the clothes before really looking at them. If they are super cute and cheap but don't feel soft enough, they are not even getting a second look. None of my shirts have tags- been taking them off, not so gently as a kid and mom hated that . Even the tagless ones when worn a while will get rough and drive me crazy- I found I can iron them w/ parchment and get it flat again. It drives my family crazy at times but at almost 60, not going to change.

Debbie
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Barbara Oh my lord! 56!!! How did he bear such pressure? It sounds like the laser didn't help much. Does he also have Trigeminal Neuralgia? I think my TN is what contributed to my glaucoma. It seems that the heat packs help the TN and reduce pressure. The med I once took for the TN added to my glaucoma? Does he take any meds that might cause problems? Allergy and cold meds are the worst. Many sleeping meds also add to it. I am sure you know all this and more, but mentioning it hoping it helps someone that might read this. The steroid shots I used to get every 6 months made my cataracts bad very quickly and may have contributed to my glaucoma. My pressures dropped immediately after cataract surgery which was about the same time I stopped the steroid shots as my working with hand tools in my studio was the cause of my tunnel syndromes. Highest I have had since cataract surgery was 15 so I went on the drops that keep it at 10. I had pain for 3 years before they discovered my glaucoma. They wrote it off as TN.

PIP Awesome photos! Love how clear the river is. Yogi looks like he is in heaven. Also from the previous photo of you and the DH in the ocean. I thought you looked amazing in those shorts. Very nice.

Heather Thanks! I am considering doing it as an acrylic painting. I have another computer one I did of me at 21. I may post it later. Yes, book covers are a blast to do. I have done some for friends. I had an awesome one I did for my novel "Hog Wars" about the ancient pigs that lived in central Oregon. Of course, I was the heroine cowgirl that discovered the caves that lead to the discovery of the hidden valley where the ancient pigs still roamed. I had a great first paragraph and the first chapter. I had a hydrops attack that lasted weeks and was going to come back and finish it but lost my groove. That old computer crashed and I lost it. I didn't listen to my friend and back up things daily or even hourly when writing. I have lost so many writing and photographs being careless. One of my biggest losses was my guitar performances that I can never do again due to hand injuries. Your books have great covers.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I’ve had an interesting morning. I took my computer into another room and didn’t plug in, so it ran out of battery & eventually shut down. I’ll be reading everyone’s post again and responding again. :ohwell: :embarassed:

Rebecca: I love the ships on your son’s Carpet Sea fleet. :smiley: In our previous home we installed a Fisher cast iron & steel fireplace insert. It was wonderful. We have a gas fireplace in this house and it is certainly easier than chopping wood, but I’ll always have a place in my heart for cast iron fireplace inserts. They offer excellent heat and don’t need electricity. :star:

Yvonne in TX: Isn’t it an interesting coincidence that National Dog Day falls during the dogdays of August? :bigsmile:

Pip: Great photo of you and Kirby in the surf. Who took the picture? :smiley:

Debbie: Robocalls are the worst! I think they should be exclusively available to governments when there is a public safety crisis, such as an intense storm, flood, fire, or earthquake. :grumble:

Machka: I hope your brother and his family are safe and their home is not seriously damaged by the storm. :heart:

(((Rori))): I’m happy that you’re home safe now, but sorry your DH added to your worries during his stress causing “walkabout.”

Machka: I’m sorry that I was confused about your husband’s injury. Thanks for clarifying. I hope you are able to get a fair settlement from the insurance company, and your DH doesn’t have to live to be 100 before they do what is right. :heart:

Karen in VA: Good wishes for your spouse. I hope the post-anesthesia nerve damage resolves itself and she is able to enjoy life again. :star:

Heather: I’m happy the blinds are working just as you’d hoped. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I love your masks!!! :bigsmile:

Lanette: I’m interested in your magtein. Is it easily available locally? Did I spell it right? :huh:

Barbara: I’ve been cutting the hair around my face since the Covid 19 pandemic began, but I’m letting the rest grow. I don’t have a pretty hairline around my face, so I’ve always had bangs. So far, so good with my amateur barbering around my face and longer length in back. :bigsmile:

Lisa: I hope you’ve found your glasses by now and are resting in front of the tv with your crochet hook in your hand.

It is 12:21 pm where I sit at the computer, and I’m ready to do something else. Unfortunately, I don’t have an idea in mind. I guess I’ll check the bean plants and blueberry bushes. Both are nearly done for the season. We have loads of berries in the freezer and no beans in the freezer. We’ve decided to eat this year’s beans as we pick them, after all the struggle it has been to grow any beans at all. We will have to rely on grocery store beans this winter. :ohwell:

Have a great day and be as safe as you can.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Stats for the day

Outside walk w/family- 1hr 59min 21sec- 144mhr, 3.1ap, 6.36mi= 866c
    Apple Watch- 642c
    Outside walk 2 stores n bk- 1hr 36min 15 sec- 3.2ap, 116 mar, 5.36mi= 688c
    Apple Watch- 528c

Total cal 1554