Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Peachy: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!❤️😘❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: vacuumed, Livestreamed church, zoomed council meeting, bathed and combed Tumble
    Bonus cherry picked recyclables from sideboard pile, 1 load laundry, zoom happy hour with Carol, Tracie and Barb.
    Get to do: return adjuster’s call, BB&B, make reservation for Eugene trip, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, 31 follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, gas, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, Freddie’s, transplant and sow, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday 8/Altruistic August

23: turn phone off, give people your full attention: yes to council, only half the conversation with SIL.
    24: take time to forgive someone who hurt you in the past: done.
    25: give time and energy to help someone in difficulty: call Russ, be with Joe.

Joe’s pressure Monday was 30. Surgeon gave him four new drops to use instead of what he has, told him to continue the pills and come back Monday for pressure check. Joe wants to drive himself. Called the office yesterday afternoon to learn if there’s any chance Joe would need a driver. Poor communication between Surgeon, Tech and front desk staff led to much frustration and confusion, but at least time I laughed and didn’t yell. A tech should call me back to answer my question today. If not, will call again tomorrow, verify the front desk has update information (second surgery postponed indefinitely, follow up Monday is for first eye) and insist on call back from Surgeon or tech.

A homeless guy in a sleeping bag has been on the lawn under the trees between the parking lot and the creek every time we’ve been there. Yesterday Joe said felt like giving the poor guy a twenty, but didn’t. I’m amazed, this is the first time I’ve heard Joe express a charitable impulse. This morning I watched him walking the dogs in the trees down by the gate and thought “This is heaven.” Told him so when he came in and he agreed and said “and we didn’t have to get cancer to get there.” Could this awful experience and our nephew’s terrible diagnosis be awakening Joe’s spirit? He’s expressed gratitude to me more times in the past month than in the previous 30+ years. Silver linings and the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Tracey :cry: what a tragedy! So glad your sister’s misunderstanding has been corrected. Glad you were able to be there for her. Love the “second breakfast” with the grands, hope it can resume safely someday. Me I like ‘em all, breakfast, second breakfast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_breakfast, elevenses (morning tea/coffee break https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevenses) , luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, supper and midnight snacks ;):lol: The Joy sign made me laugh out loud, but your decision was wise. Was the coworker trying to get you in trouble?
    Kim I’m delighted you’re able to find the humor in your CVP! So glad the rattler didn’t bite. Hoe your god daughter refills your depleted hug energy tank. Praying for rain with neither lightning nor wind. Can you jury rig any kind of swam cooler air filter? Thinking like floursack dishtowels or pillowcases taped on 4 sides to the opening below a window, then dampened with water? “…saute vegetables” :lol: reminded me of a brewpub that actually tried to sell me a beer brewed from the “yeast scraped out of the brewmasters beard.” Oh urp. :sick:
    Belated welcome back @Kathleenkirkendoll and best of luck!
    Karen in VA “At the Fridge Again!!” Loved it, shared it, wish my fridge door would play it whenever I opened… Also loved the creative classroom shields. Shared it with a recent Jeep owner. ;) Oh no! Praying you hear SOON that yourr cousin and her family are safe and the main house survives.
    Belated welcome @got2bjb , @maryschwartsroby.
    Machka belated Happy Anniversary days. :love: the story and the pics.
    Lisa …”it also helps when I wear my glasses”…. Ooooh noooo! That pain from the butt sounds agonizing. Hope the inflammation cools soonest! “I never had the yen to hurt myself to make myself feel alive.” Amen, sister amen! SMH. And as for clumsy, well they didn’t call me Klutz Kennedy for nothing! I don’t even need a carpet over which to trip. :laugh: “better than I was…” snorted my tea :lol: “. . .ever miss dressing up” Never miss an opportunity to dress up? Or never miss having to dress up? The latter is me. In spades. Love living in turtlenecks, jeans, hiking boots or walking shoes. Kept one dress and one pair of heals for funerals only and a few “work” outfits/shoes for church. Suits and heels donated. Basta.
    Faye don’t know if it’s still true but back when I lived in California you could not buy Everclear. Smuggled some back from St. Louis for Joe when we were courting. Not to my taste ;) Congrats on your pressure. When did you have glaucoma surgery and which type? How many skin cancers and which types? I’ve had 4, most basal, one squamous. :love: the repurposed red lights ;)
    Carol Happy Anniversary! 51 yrs, bravissima! Think the depression you mentioned has become more common, know I feel it from time to time. ((hugs)) Would your DH allow you to foster (instead of adopt) a shelter cat or dog? Gorgeous flowers!
    Julie well done on your daily goals! (re-)starting small is the foundation of success. Can’t build on a shaky foundation. Sorry about the neighbor’s spider mites invading your plants. “not attracted to … roller coasters, horror movies. …life is scary enough…” Right with you there! Likewise I do my best work in the morning, brain dulls from 1-4pm. Play spider and free cell on laptop, 1010! And Bejeweled Classic on phone, but notice that decluttering just one thing (like one piece of paper) or walking the dogs down the drive truly does a better job of making me feel less tense.
    Debbie air quality at 370? :astonished::noway: :sad: praying the thunder brings rain not lightning. Hoping your family is safe! Wasn’t there a quake in the area recently too?
    Michele would you tell us more about your job? Hours? Duties? Coworkers? Hooray for sourdough activity! Maybe you could post the confusing parts of the crochet rug to Faye’s new group for help?
    AllieConVERY grats on not having to tromp down to and back up from the laundry room. :heartbreak: ((hugs)) :cry: for your friend and for preparing to let Homer go home.
    Sue in WA so sorry to hear about your BIL, hope he gets help with caring for your sister and himself. Brava for bringing your Mom home with you. Safe travels!
    Annie is your mini stepper a step you step onto or some kind of miniature trampoline? Sending healing thoughts to your BIL and “be safe” ones to your sister and her family.
    Vicki phones out of order for 10 + hours for two hospitals? “Sure not good” is surely an understatement. Where the heck is tech support?
    Heather your advice to Faye was spot on! Have a mental image of a giant Fatto a mano pizza slapped spang onto the Royal Pavilion. :laugh: Baba Rajneesh’s smile at the end of the video was transcendental ;)
    Rori tears are springing into my eyes to hear you and your DH are finally going to get some help. Thankful, thankful.
    Katla “orange goo:? [shudder] Hoping your riding teacher continues to be less busy so you can ride Arrow more often!
    Beth ((hugs))
    Teri taking your words to heart. Not that I need to dress up for Joe, but I sure need to get out of the droopy bathrobe and comb my hair earlier in the day. He surely deserves that much attention ;)
    Rita Sean Connery, whiskey sours and banana splits, what a yummy day!
    Pip :love: Yogi and Kirby’s earring. How are they adapting to the much warmer temps?
    SuziQ the crocheted pan handle covers was a real tea snorter! In Boise the humane society shelter has a feral cat catch, spay or neuter and release program. They provide loaner traps, and notch the ears of the done cats to prevent duplicating efforts. I saw people bring in up to six at a time.

Wash my (longish, fine) hair once or twice a week, every other shower day. Only blow dry if feeling puny and have to go out immediately. The idea of dry shampoo makes my scalp crawl. :sick:

My sleep pattern is no pattern, really thankful I’m retired. 5 good hours in a row most nights, then another two in the morning and sometimes a two hour afternoon nap, all starting at different times depending. Joe usually rises around 3, retires around 6, and drifts off for a few minutes after meals.

I feel most alive when I step out to the deck and inhale that first fresh morning air. Also in moments of deep gratitude like watching Joe and the dogs this morning. Hugging and being hugged.

Whew, sat way too long to catch up. Now to get up and O U T S I D E! ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Sat:2563, Sun:2321, Mon:2343 vits=23.5 log=24 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=7 Tumble & Shadow 5=15 mfp=16 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Karen - glad your cousins are safe!

Kim - hope the girl's visit brings you some peace and joy. You could sure use some right now.

Tracey - thank you! That's what I'm trying to do - show the world through my eyes, ears, nose and fingertips--it's a real compliment when it feels real to someone else. That kind of observation is probably as close as I ever come to a quiet mind, my own brand of meditation.

Carol - love the jug and the flowers...

Corey's home two hours early banging around in the attic, very reluctantly. Had to call him, as the air conditioner quit--it seems to be a breaker issue, but once I've flipped it off and back on again, I've run out of knowledge. Plus electricity freaks me out, especially BIG electric, like a whole-house A/C. It is now 106 in my backyard, and the house is in the low 90s and rising fast. Luckily, it's not all the electric, just a narrow band is out across the carport.

So I am sitting in my bedroom, which has a window A/C unit, and playing Princess Penelope eats a popsicle. If you haven't tried them, the Outshine no-sugar-added fruit popsicles are just the bomb. Each is 25 calories, not sickly sweet, and extremely refreshing on a hot day.

Cor just stuck is head back in, said, "Did you do anything in here?" I said, "No," and he left again.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I stay far away from him when he's in solve-it superhero mode unless he asks...

Ah - there goes the air handler... time to get dinner started!

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa- hope he gets your AC fixed soon.
    Outshine does have some great flavors- We have tried them a few times-
    I know what you mean- stay FAR away when they are trying to fix something.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Barbara I don't buy Everclear for drinking, but for killing germs on my skin and also for dissolving shellac flakes for fine furniture finishes. I cannot imagine anyone drinking it. It smells bad to me. Joe's pressure at 30 is way too high! Even after laser surgery, I have to use the drops. 30 was my pressure years ago when they put me on drops. Anything over 15 is not good. I had the surgery 6 months ago. Nothing to it, they use a laser to poke a lot of small holes so the eye can drain better. 3 days before my appointment in Nov. I will go off the drops and if pressures stay around 10 as they are now, then I will stay off for a week and be retested. Then probably a month and so on. I get tested for pressure every 6 months. It seems the surgery is working, but the process is slow getting off the drops as I cannot afford to lose any more nerve. No problem with using the drops for life, except they make my nose run a lot. That is the only reason I had laser surgery. That goo running down my throat at night can really break up my beauty sleep. I only have about 60% of my nerve left in the left eye. Very scary and I always run into folks on that side. It also makes it hard for my eyes to track.

My skin cancers are all basal. I go every year for checkups and always have something removed. Too many years windsurfing and sailing in bikinis. Last few years all off my face. I hate going to new skin doc as they always argue about my 3rd nipple. I have to show them old medical records and no they cannot biopsy it!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Looks as if my lovely cousin Holly in Healdsburg, CA lost her wonderful treehouse guesthouse to fire. Reportedly the main house is OK so far, from friends posting on her FB page. She isn’t posting. I don’t even know where they are right now. Ugh.

So sorry to hear she lost the guest house but thankfully not the main house.

what part of Healdsburg does your cousin live? Has she lived there long?
    With my nephews/nieces , they are forth generation born and raised in Healdsburg- My parents and sister still live there(along with more family and all my friends)- Graduated from HHS in 1980.

Debbie

Debbie,

They actually live on Big Ridge Road. For many years.

Karen

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    a47qmznmfzyy.png

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    My ministepper has two footpads that rotate like an elliptical but the whole thing is less than a foot tall.

Thanks for your concern about my BiL. He's doing okay so far.

Annie in Delaware
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen, What an amazing photo. It has power & beauty but I wouldn’t want to breathe that air. :noway:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Anne DE – so sorry to hear about your BIL

Well, cut the grass. I think maybe a bit too cloudy for the pool, not real sure, tho. We were surprised how much the grass (weeds) grew! Usually in mid to late August the lawn doesn’t grow that much and you can go a few weeks between cuttings. Not this year. I'm going to use my stimulus check to get the front lawn seeded (by a professional). Hopefully, Vince will see that weeds grow faster than grass and he'll decide to get the backyard seeded.

Faye – interesting senior place, but sorry it costs so much for so little

Kim – 4 WEEKS????? How is your starter now?

Karen
    – glad your cousin’s house is OK, even if the guest house isn’t. What a shame!

Katla
    – thanks for the tip about the starter. I don’t think I have a crock that isn’t being used, but I can put it on the top shelf in my pantry. Update: that's where it is now

I just looked up about the Microsoft mahjongg. Wonder how you play?

We and Jess are foster failures. 4 cats here. Jess has one who is super loving but hates any other cat. When we volunteered at the local Humane Society there was this one lady there who always said “when I die, I want to come back as one of your cats”

Debbie – isn’t it amazing how each cat has its own personality?

Carol GA – happy anniversary! 51 years, boy that’s a long time. You don’t hear of many couples making it that long. Lovely flowers. Is that your vase? What’s under it?

Barbara – the job so far has been about 7 to 11, 11:30. Basically, it’s more of getting the carts from the parking lot, spraying them down with a cleaner, sometimes on the register. That’s about it. But to me, it’s a little bit of money for some of the landscaping I’d like to do (like the removal of some trees), gets me out of the house. Honestly, I’d really prefer if it was evenings so I could exercise in the a.m. but I also realize that right now a lot of the kids are in “school” and can’t work the early am shifts. Actually, I prefer exercising in the am but I’ve been fairly successful exercising after work. Actually, what I do usually is go to work (if I’m working that day), come home and go in the pool, then exercise. I don’t think I could exercise in the evening. The coworkers range in ages from kids who are minors to elderly ladies.

Faye – if you’ve made the group, please post the link for it. I’d definitely be interested. Third nipple????? Explain, please

Making more of the crochet towel toppers. I think after this I’m going to work on a jigsaw puzzle. Need a break from crocheting. I can hear Vince now “the cats won’t leave me alone but they’ll leave you alone”. That’s true. I can wrap presents on the floor without much “help”. But if Vince were to wrap on the floor, there’s no way he could get anything accomplished.

I haven’t used a dry shampoo in years. I know I used to when I was much younger, my hair was super greasy.

Lisa – Vince is very good with electric (went to MIT for EE but didn’t go into it). But he won’t touch a/c! Not the main unit. He did work on the pump a while ago, but that’s about the extent of it. When he fixes something I stay about as far away as I do when he’s doing the taxes. Well, when he’s doing taxes I usually go out somewhere, anywhere. I will stay in the house when he’s fixing something, just not near him.

Michele NC
  • Faetta
    Heather and Barbara If low-fat yogurt is natural, no SUGAR, no flavors, no binders, etc., then it digests as well as full fat according to my gastrointestinal dietitian. The low fat I buy is 3-gram fat, 9-gram carbs, 8-gram protein per 6 oz serving, no binders, no sugar, no flavor, just cultured milk. My local store only carries the higher fat Nancy's in flavors and sweetened. They once carried the natural, but I was about the one buying it, so they discontinued it.
  • Faetta
    Michele Link is https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/138240-women-over-50-diy
    Hoping to get more contributors.
    Not much to say but I have a small nipple on my left breast about 3/4" below the main one. It once leaked milk so I know it isn't a mold that needs to be removed.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    a47qmznmfzyy.png

I was born and raised on Dry Creek until I was in 3rd grade, lived in town at my grandparents for a year while we built our house in Alexander Valley (all parts of Healdsburg). Lived there until I got married the first time. My plan is to move back up there hopefully soon. I need to be up there, closer to my parents to help them out.

Debbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Evening ladies
    If your friends of mine on Facebook you have seen tbe disaster under my sink,i have a garbage disposal that gave up the ghost about 3 weeks ago..well there was a nasty smell,and of course cleaning supplies accumulate under there.. a hideous disgusting mess ,smells like sewer water took me about an hour to clean up and throw out stuff..the cabinet is builder grade and the whole botyom of cabinet is warped snd soaked.my nephew is coming Saterday to fix it,that day they are aldo delivering washer/ dryer combo and safelite coming to fix passenger side door of car. .oh boy... its been a day ,off to take care of Faith tomorrow..
    Homers bloodwork came back and the Doc thinks its some tick born illness,he gets Frontline monthly ,so he is on antibiotics for a week and then retest.. not giving up on the poor ol guy yet...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    I just looked up about the Microsoft mahjongg. Wonder how you play?

Michele NC

I play whatever it is I have now just like how I played Mahjong when it was in the collection of Games which came with Windows. Remember ... there were Solitaire, Free Cell, Mahjong, Minesweeper and maybe a couple others.

I downloaded the free version and every now and then I go in and play a couple games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Mahjong

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    GAMES: I play Pogo Scrabble, Microsoft Mahjong & Solitaire, and do two crossword puzzles (USA Today & Washington Post).

Raining again today! Will probably rain for the rest of the week. Wish I could send some for the folks in the fires.

Carol in GA

Crosswords etc. are supposed to be good for the brain! :)

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Faye – thanks for the link. I think I’m already a member! Just forgot to bookmark the site!!! Silly me

Michele in NC