Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Partner apps more trouble than they're worth

Dolph452Dolph452 Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member
I've genuinely had enough now. I've had to disconnect/uninstall/reinstall/reconnect so many times now that it's beyond a joke.

If I relied on the calorie calculations between Samsung and MFP I'd weigh about 10 stone more than I do now.

Go for a run, earn 900 calories, but then get a bonus 900 calories for the steps from the run. *kitten* useless!

Replies

• heybalesheybales Member Posts: 17,729 Member Member Posts: 17,729 Member
    Yes - Apple and Samsung are both notable in their lack of sending what the API's said to send to MFP.
    And what other trackers have no problem with.

You'd think Daily Calorie Burn and Time Stamp would be simple enough.

Neither do it correctly.

Instead of MFP being lead by their subscribers screaming for integration - they should have put their foot down and told the 3rd parties they were sending the wrong info.

And been honest with subscribers and said your Samsung or your Apple is sending incorrect info and we can't allow the sync yet until they fix it.

Would have saved a lot of headaches. Perhaps gotten the screaming on the correct side of the integration.
    edited August 1
  • Dolph452Dolph452 Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member
    It wouldn't be so bad if there was continuity in the information. One minute I've got a calorie surplus, the next I've got a deficit with the same information, half an hour later it changes again.

I did a 12km run today, and now my calorie count is fluctuating by either +900 calories for steps, or - 250 for measured activity!

It makes no sense whatsoever!
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 17,729 Member Member Posts: 17,729 Member
    Garmin is interesting sometimes just on their own site.

You can look at a figure for total daily burned based on an daily activity tracker, then sync in a workout from a sport's watch/device.

You can see what the new total should be, sitting right there next to each other. But Garmin can take upwards of 3 min to correct itself.
    Well, in that 3 min it's fired off a workout and daily burned figure to MFP that doesn't actually contain the workout.
    So the math to not double count actually removes the workout from counting.

I've discovered it's best to sync the workout first to Garmin account - which syncs to MFP immediately.
    Make any calorie burn corrections needed.
    Update MFP workout record because Garmin doesn't seem to send an update, or MFP doesn't take it.
    Wait until you see that Garmin has actually updated it's figures beyond the workout with the new calorie burn.
    And then sync the daily activity tracker with it's count.
    Garmin does correct math so no double-counting - and now sends a daily burn to MFP to work with correctly.

But has to be done that order. It is annoying.