August 2020 to Jan 2021 Declutterfest

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,642 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 A cricut machine can be used to create designs that the machine provides or you can use your tablet to create your own on an app and then connect to the machine and it will give you a precision cut design. You can use paper, fabric, leather, acrylic, and even thin wood. You can design your own stickers or words that can be adhered to glass or fabric or paper. It's pretty amazing! But for the price, I'd have to have a solid plan as to how I would use it before buying. You'll have to ask your friends to give you a demonstration, or look on youtube which is what I did.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 A cricut machine can be used to create designs that the machine provides or you can use your tablet to create your own on an app and then connect to the machine and it will give you a precision cut design. You can use paper, fabric, leather, acrylic, and even thin wood. You can design your own stickers or words that can be adhered to glass or fabric or paper. It's pretty amazing! But for the price, I'd have to have a solid plan as to how I would use it before buying. You'll have to ask your friends to give you a demonstration, or look on youtube which is what I did.

Thank you @nebslp!
    I’m kinda crazing & love hand cutting with scissors- just transition to the paper cutters recently haha

I’m going to hold off, but never say never!

Thanks again & thank you for your active participation in this group! I’ve been cranking on my free art classes to hit them before they expire!! Today, we went on an outing - hiked 3.5 hrs plus - huge climbs!

My NSV: I couldn’t have done today’s hike even 3 years ago! So grateful 🙏🏻
  • nebslp
    edited October 2020
    @MadisonMolly2017 Congrats on the 3.5 hour hike - with those huge climbs! It's important to look back to where we were and realize how far we've come.

Are you possibly doing the craftsy free classes that expire :'( today?
    Oh, about the cricut, I meant to say vinyl, not acrylic. It didn't looke right when I wrote it, and then in the middle of the night I got a flash of "oh, the word should have been vinyl". Yes, my mind never shuts off :(
  • nebslp
    @MadisonMolly2017 Congrats on the 3.5 hour hike - with those huge climbs! It's important to look back to where we were and realize how far we've come.

Are you possibly doing the craftsy free classes that expire :'( today?
    Oh, about the cricut, I meant to say it cuts vinyl, not acrylic. It didn't look right when I wrote it, and then in the middle of the night I got a flash of "oh, the word should have been vinyl". Yes, my mind never shuts off
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp Not craftsy but that is tempting!
    @SummerSkier This group has not usually been a daily posting group..more post as needed to celebrate, check-in, or solicit help. Sometimes it’s quiet because ppl are busy or because all is going well, or sometimes because life has become overwhelming.

In my case, it’s been because I am actively creating the art practice I always dreamed of. Ditto mindfulness practice. Enrolled in 40 day class on Insight Timer. I do each class twice to really let it sink in (sometimes 3 times)

@nebslp
    Here are The classes I have been doing.
    Start Your Art by Misty Olsen that ends Monday or Tuesday. I didn’t want to spend $197 to own them as about 1/3 were surface design/beginning your own online business. So I took copious notes on a few. There are still two paintings I want to make a stab at, but I may just let them go. Yesterday Misty offered all lessons for $97 but now that I’ve gone through all, I’ll save the $$$!

Lifebook 2021 Taster was also going on. I did a couple of those lessons but it’s such a good value, I will purchase & enjoy those lessons (very high quality) and many more (and own them which is great to be able to go back as reference.) I found out my favorite artist/teacher is gifting one of her classes if you sign up, so it really is a steal!!
    The focus is “Make Art & Be Happy” which certainly applies to me!

Monthly recurring subscription costs: I decided to evaluate them to see if I should continue.

1) I was printed the lessons & took notes for all of the TextileArtists.org Stitch Club lessons since I began subscribing- they are all now in a notebook! I reflected & saw how much they have fueled my creations & broadened my approach combining art media with textiles. Truly exciting. Keeping the subscription & updating notebook monthly.

2) Began a chart to track Ivy Newport’s weekly Studioworks Journal (22 & counting) They are not printable, so I want to learn from them (take notes esp the master artists & the monthly art lessons. I downloaded about 2/3 of the monthly podcasts & will do the rest this week. I want to make sure I’m using my subscription! Aka recurring costs.

I have another favorite artist - perhaps my very favorite- and she offered a lesson, so I spent much of this week locating least expensive places to order the supplies. I began watching the lessons, playing with the materials & last night I began sketching portraits from Pinterest to begin the underlying sketch composition.

I’ve also been consistently working on my “Big Piece” My 100 photos from yesterday’s hike will be incorporated into it!!

And Thursday night I created a piece inspired but different than the latest Stitch Club lesson. Who knew you could paint fabric with watercolor paints ?!! Whole New World!!!

I also Re familiarized mySelf with fusible webbing, Misty fuse, etc.,Still good yay! afternoon 25 years!!! When I used to quilt.
    Painted, fused, wondrous effects, stitched by hand 💞and Might turn it into a purse. Perhaps a art piece to hang.

My other piece from same class I’ve copied in B&w & color on paper & onto silk.
    In my morning awakening reflection, I thought of 3 ways I can proceed with this piece that will make a stronger & more meaningful composition

And then there are the 6 other paintings I did & edited some on my iPhone, added gold leaf to some (I don’t see why ppl say it is difficuly!!!) and now working to darken the darks, possibly use white ink to add whites.

Guided Mindfulness Is now a regular habit at least once a day, often twice.

I’m really excited by the Life I’m creating for myself through carefully chosen daily habits.

Basically the past two weeks, I’ve been grappling with how much to take classes & how much to focus on my own creations. In the end I realized I love creating AND I love learning so I will continue with carefully chosen classes to learn. However, I won’t do classes I know ie to avoid creating new ideas/works of my own❣️

❤️
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Maddie, congrats on such a long hike! You are most definitely getting in great shape.

I think this group can and should be whatever the members choose it to be. LOL. I have been here on MFP a long time so please no need to mfp'splain to me that sometimes folks just disappear or don't show up for days weeks or months. However if I were to put percentages on the reasons I would say mostly the reasons are because they need some help or encouragement 50% and way too busy with other things 50%. I always figure that 5 minutes to drive by and update folks is not a huge burden. For me it is a habit to check on my newsfeed and community when I am logging my food. I keep my friend group very small and limit it to folks who actively engage on the feed = it's a two way street.

@nebslp I learned something new today. Thank you. :) A cricut machine. Wow. I have a niece who has a 3D printer and makes some interesting things but the cricut sounds quite intriguing!

summer
  • nebslp
    @MadisonMolly2017 I can relate to your love of learning and doing equally. My free 6 weeks at Craftsy is over and I found so many classes I would love to take, so I might spring for a whole year subscription. It would be about the same price as 2-3 classes. I think it's around $70 and I know I would use it and so would my daughter. There just wasn't enough time.
    You are really accomplishing a lot with your art. It does make life better when one has something to look forward to doing every day.

Tonight I started my cleaning/decluttering project... We have a large open room upstairs that we've always used as the play room. It has a couch and a table and all the things the kids, especially the girls just love to do. They actually would drag everything into my sewing room because they liked it better <3 but everything was stored out there. Tonight I started straightening up and organizing all of the little things they made or played with and I felt very sad. I don't know when they'll be able to all come over and be together again. And when they do, will they still want to hang out up here and do the things they did before the pandemic? They're getting older and I can't stop time. It's not hit me like this until now. I will probably work on another room until I figure out how to deal with this. Sorry for the downer message. I'm sure everyone is feeling the same about now, just ready to get back to a normal life.
  • nebslp
    @SummerSkier Hey, I found 3 marbles when i was cleaning. Now I just have to find my goblets and I'll be set. Or do you think my expectations are too low?!

I stopped posting on my feed because there wasn't much interaction other than the basics, so I appreciate coming here because I find more of a connection with you all. I'm glad when everyone checks in when they can, the more the merrier :)

Hope you all have a good week ahead.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @MadisonMolly2017 I can relate to your love of learning and doing equally. My free 6 weeks at Craftsy is over and I found so many classes I would love to take, so I might spring for a whole year subscription. It would be about the same price as 2-3 classes. I think it's around $70 and I know I would use it and so would my daughter. There just wasn't enough time.
    You are really accomplishing a lot with your art. It does make life better when one has something to look forward to doing every day.

Tonight I started my cleaning/decluttering project... We have a large open room upstairs that we've always used as the play room. It has a couch and a table and all the things the kids, especially the girls just love to do. They actually would drag everything into my sewing room because they liked it better <3 but everything was stored out there. Tonight I started straightening up and organizing all of the little things they made or played with and I felt very sad. I don't know when they'll be able to all come over and be together again. And when they do, will they still want to hang out up here and do the things they did before the pandemic? They're getting older and I can't stop time. It's not hit me like this until now. I will probably work on another room until I figure out how to deal with this. Sorry for the downer message. I'm sure everyone is feeling the same about now, just ready to get back to a normal life.

@nebslp
    You are not alone. Big hugs. I think almost everyone on the planet is going through some version of this. I have to say it hit me this past week, too. Haven’t seen our some for 11 months & likely won’t for at least another year the way COVID is going.

So I thought & thought...YOU & the girls will find new things to do now that they will be older & more able —- AND I’m sure they will still want to revisit their earlier favorites- to have a chance to be younger again with Grandma!!

I know I did. Even as a teen, I’d pull out the specially selected toys from the bureau’s bottom drawer & savor memories & often play with them again. There is such comfort in a Grandma!!

All will be fine. It may be different, but it will still be loving & connected ❤️

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on hitting all on your list. I find hitting these areas daily really helps me cope with all that is going on.

❌⭕️❌⭕️
    Maddie
  • nebslp
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and understanding. It’s just hard for everyone and I think the holidays ahead are on everyone’s mind. At least we can call and text and message and have some Zoom gatherings, so I’m grateful for that. I just miss those little arms. Like you said, all will be fine. 🤗

I’ve noticed LoTs of things to declutter upstairs since I’ve been spending more time up here, so I won’t run out of things to do any time soon! Again, thank you from the bottom of my ❤️❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp
    You are most welcome, dear @nebslp.

If you aren’t, my SIL & brother set up a weekly Wed night “Zoom Family Dinner.” Perhaps that would be fun.

I hear you re the cute, kid hugs! Priceless!

I don’t know how old they are, but perhaps you could send them a nebslp created packet of materials for a Zoom “Craft time with Grandma” Zoom time!!!

Big m hugs,
    Maddie
  • SummerSkier
    @nebslp

awww hugs. I understand how it hurts to miss the little ones for even a year as they do change so much. Maddie had some great ideas but yeah the physical hugs .... :'(

And SNOW in Nebraska already WOW!!!!! It was hot and humid this morning here in Tx and no real cold fronts forecast to help soon.

3 marbles. hmmmmmm. Does that mean you still have most of your marbles and were only missing 3? I guess my missing Amazon package was confiscated because well who would not want marbles?

Summerquickworkbreakmorecoffeeneeded
  • nebslp
    @MadisonMolly2017 What a great idea for getting together to craft! That would be really fun! Definitely will be planning this :) Thank you.

@SummerSkier I'm sure I have more marbles rolling around somewhere in my house. They're probably next to the goblets and tea brewer ball. More motivation to declutter.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp *happy tears* I SO want to help others! Glad you have that to look forward to❣️❣️❣️
  • nebslp
    Today I worked in the play area upstairs but focused on my corner which has a desk and a few toys. Some need to go to the basement as they are leftovers from my sons' play days and the grandsons didn't spend much time with them. He-Man collection that I might try to sell on EBay if I ever do that. I also have the curtains in the dryer and need to order or go in a store (which happens on rare occasions) and buy some new blinds. I want to make the upstairs as cute as I can while I have nothing more pressing to do. That means some decluttering days ahead.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Worked 25 minutes with organization of sewing tools. A nice little textile arts supply corner should be done this week, 15 mins or so a day!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @SummerSkier Hey, I found 3 marbles when i was cleaning.
    I've lost my marbles; can you send them to me? (Not sure I'm joking. 😐)
  • SummerSkier
    awww @pkm051 hang in there gal! one day at a time. How is the med taking coming along? :|
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    awww @pkm051 hang in there gal! one day at a time. How is the med taking coming along? :|

Thanks. The med taking is not going well for the last week. I'm supposed to take the diabetes medicine twice a day with food, but my appetite has been strange. If I don't eat breakfast, I seem to forget all my morning meds.

I really need to pull myself together. I've been so down since my 🐈 passed away September 6.

To keep this thread on topic, I decluttered some large pieces of styrofoam (today was junk day). Also, I tried to declutter a lot of old prescription meds, vitamins, etc. (mine, my parents', my cat's); but the police lobby where I used to drop them off is closed. They very kindly referred me to Walgreens, who very nicely told me their kiosk is full right now.

I've also managed to shred some old mail.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,657 Member
    There is so much activity here on the Declutterfest thread this month!! yay. I'm going back to my last post and starting from there to catch up with everybody.

@MadisonMolly2017 consolidating things (like your colored pencils) is a great strategy.
    We are still hoping that you find that iron. Sooner or later you will come upon it 😲!!

And the same for the lost socks 🧦 👀 for @SummerSkier

@SummerSkier you were amazing with sawing off (aka decluttering) the limbs that were scraping your roof, because you just did it even while terrified of heights! Now that, along with pulling down the 'hanging (dry wall) chads' are decluttering moments to be proud of 😁.
    A new Yankee Candle can definitely cause impressive cleaning/ decluttering moments to make room for it. Good for you!!

@MadisonMolly2017 bins and boxes certainly do come in handy for corralling like things in an area or drawer. Labeling both ends of a box is genius!! I shall have to tuck that one away in my brain.

Well done going on that outing when you hiked 3.5 hrs plus, also with huge climbs! I am so proud of you indeed!!

@nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 I love to read your posts about creativity and art with all sorts of twists and turns you both go on while pursuing your passion for it. Awesome opportunity you've both had with the opportunity to sample the classes available to you! And I liked how Maddie wrote that she realized that she loved creating AND she loved learning! Great insight to get when trying to decide if or when to take additional classes/ or create something, and to decide that there is definitely a place for both... win-win 👍😄!

Thank you for sharing your creative moments!!

@nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 {{{hugs}}} for both of you.

I am going through the same thing about the room where my grand children played and made things in when they were not at the dining room table or on the floors playing or making other things. It is also the room where they slept over in and so on. I did go through some of the crafty stuff about a year ago that they had lost interest in because of age, but the other grands were too young for that would go bad (like markers and paints) before they could use them, so I gave them to a neighbor's children. Like you both, we have not had any of them over because of the virus.
    So I have let things migrate in there because of that. Just one more virus related thing to come to terms with. This reminds me that I need to check on the play dough. It has probably hardened also. So many memories 💖 . That room is definitely a project to work on soon, and not let myself stay stuck in the sadness.

The count is up to three.... an iron, socks and also the marbles😲😁🤦‍♀️ .....

@PKM0515 {{{hugs}}} to you about your dear 🐈 passing away last month. That is surely a difficult thing for you to go through. I believe that you will soon figure out ways to help with remembering to take your meds since you are now identifying things that make it more easy to forget them. Knowledge is power!
    Good job on the decluttering that you did today as well as the shredding! You go girl 🤸‍♀️ .

Decluttering since my last post about it:

October 5

Sorting, shredding and decluttering misc paper that migrated to my bedroom

October 6, 7 and 8

Miscellaneous paper. mail, and catalogs decluttered, or shredded, including some from the small pile now referred to as the 'chair pile' . (which are leftovers from the 'table pile' that required decisions, or some work done on them)

October 19

Paper & mail that my DH asked me to sort, shred and declutter for him also.

October 14 and 19

Digital decluttering: mostly email, some photos on camera

🤠🌺