Smelly clothes

2»

Replies

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    durhammfp wrote: »
    fstrickl wrote: »
    .. washing soda (its a type of baking soda used for cleaning, found in the cleaning aisle).

Washing soda is sodium carbonate and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Close but very different. Washing soda is much more alkaline than baking soda.

If you run out of washing soda, you can make your own by taking baking soda and actually baking it in the oven. I believe the temp and time are related to the amount but you can find that information pretty easily online.

I’m merely a lowly liberal arts degree. Chemistry is over my head. That’s a cool trick about the baking soda in the oven though! Thanks for the tip. The Borax was actually hard to find, I had to go to 4 grocery stores before I found a box!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited September 2020
    .. washing soda (its a type of baking soda used for cleaning, found in the cleaning aisle).

Washing soda is sodium carbonate and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Close but very different. Washing soda is much more alkaline than baking soda.

If you run out of washing soda, you can make your own by taking baking soda and actually baking it in the oven. I believe the temp and time are related to the amount but you can find that information pretty easily online.

I’m merely a lowly liberal arts degree. Chemistry is over my head. That’s a cool trick about the baking soda in the oven though! Thanks for the tip. The Borax was actually hard to find, I had to go to 4 grocery stores before I found a box!

How do you know I don't have a lowly liberal arts degree? WORSE. I majored in... psychology. lol. But I started making my own soap a few years back. Man that is a rabbit hole...from soap to shampoo to laundry detergent. I picked up some rudimentary information on chemistry when I was trying to decide whether to make laundry detergent or not. And then I decided that I just cannot beat Costco.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member

How do you know I don't have a lowly liberal arts degree? WORSE. I majored in... psychology. lol. But I started making my own soap a few years back. Man that is a rabbit hole...from soap to shampoo to laundry detergent. I picked up some rudimentary information on chemistry when I was trying to decide whether to make laundry detergent or not. And then I decided that I just cannot beat Costco.

I mean I should have guessed, liberal arts degrees are capable of anything! 😉
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I also use oxiclean or lysol laundry sanitizer. Never fabric softener.