Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Nutrition data inaccurate

outdoorjjh8835outdoorjjh8835 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
Due to unlimited entries of the same foods/products, most of the nutrition data is inaccurate. There doesn't seem to be a verification method other than random agreements that a particular entry is accurate. Also, I live in the U.S.A. but using volume as opposed to weight measurements consistently skews the data. Please eliminate the extraneous entries and vet existing entries to ensure accuracy. Cronometer is going to take your business due to its reliable nutrition information

Replies

• try2againtry2again Member Posts: 3,544 Member Member Posts: 3,544 Member
    The entries in the database are user-generated. No one at MFP edits or monitors them. It's up to the user to verify info against their packaging info.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 17,949 Member Member Posts: 17,949 Member
    It would be nice if they would use the tagged yes & no responses to accuracy to either auto-sort or allow sorting.
    Be nice if an entry with many recent confirmed accurate tags would be above an ancient one that may have been correct 3-4 years ago but isn't now.
    But then if it has more No incorrect tags push it back down.
    It's really getting stupid with so many creating their own incorrect entries because they can't be bothered to find the correct one - but they screw it up with their sloppiness too.

They have to know they don't have a sustainable method at this point.
  • threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 628 Member Member Posts: 628 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    The entries in the database are user-generated. No one at MFP edits or monitors them. It's up to the user to verify info against their packaging info.

I'm using Lifesum app and I have to provide a correction factor for approximately 96% of bar coded items. Roughly what percentage would you be doing that? Thanks.
  • eku0eku0 Member Posts: 7,122 Member Member Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just wanted to find out if the iron requirement of 100% is 18 grams. What does MFP use as 100%. I understand that the requirement is actually different depending on age and gender.
    Would appreciate a response from MFP. Thanks.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 30,422 Member Member Posts: 30,422 Member
    eku0 wrote: »
    Just wanted to find out if the iron requirement of 100% is 18 grams. What does MFP use as 100%. I understand that the requirement is actually different depending on age and gender.
    Would appreciate a response from MFP. Thanks.

No one will answer you "from MFP" here.

Here is the Help article about how the nutrition is calculated:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032626031-A-Message-about-MyFitnessPals-updated-nutrition-goals

The iron in the items in the database isn't going to be particularly accurate anyway unless you vet every item.
    edited September 5
  • DougieHDDougieHD Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member
    I agree.
    I know that the same product can have slightly different content in different countries due to regulation or taste preference. But there are so many duplicates, many duped as they are spelt wrong, and some just wildly inaccurate.

I keep reporting the duplicates but am wondering if anyone actually reads the reports and makes the corrections?