Body set point

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,017 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Set point theory was popularized in mainstream press around 1980 or a little earlier than that. 40 years is a long time for a hypothesis to garner evidence. Is there any scientific evidence supporting the set point mechanism at all?

The likely explanation for the observation (bodies tend to stay the same weight) is habits (that don't tend to change) rather than any biological mechanism.

One wonders whether it would've even gained popular attention, and persisted, if it were not such an appealing reason/excuse about why "weight loss is impossible, and keeping it off even worse!"
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Set point theory was popularized in mainstream press around 1980 or a little earlier than that. 40 years is a long time for a hypothesis to garner evidence. Is there any scientific evidence supporting the set point mechanism at all?

The likely explanation for the observation (bodies tend to stay the same weight) is habits (that don't tend to change) rather than any biological mechanism.

One wonders whether it would've even gained popular attention, and persisted, if it were not such an appealing reason/excuse about why "weight loss is impossible, and keeping it off even worse!"

I don't think one can't lose weight and keep it off, but I think people have to understand that the biological changes that happens when one tries to downsize can't be ignored. I like settling range vs set point. Do I think some people can maintain a leaner body easier than others doing the same protocols? Yes. There are genetics that go into it. Does one get obese just because of genetics? No. Though, there are genes that most likely make some people have a higher appetite and hunger signal. There are others that may control how much slowing of "metabolism" one has while losing weight. If there was a "set point", we would never gain weight. We do though. We see overfeeding studies that when allowed to go back to ad librium feedings, most folks drift back down to near their old weights. I think that the maintenance of a higher bf level over time may dampen the bodies ability to get back to an old level. Could it be leptin resistence? The gravistat? Changes in environment? Yes to all.
  • AnnPT77
    psychod787 wrote: »

I don't think one can't lose weight and keep it off, but I think people have to understand that the biological changes that happens when one tries to downsize can't be ignored. I like settling range vs set point. Do I think some people can maintain a leaner body easier than others doing the same protocols? Yes. There are genetics that go into it. Does one get obese just because of genetics? No. Though, there are genes that most likely make some people have a higher appetite and hunger signal. There are others that may control how much slowing of "metabolism" one has while losing weight. If there was a "set point", we would never gain weight. We do though. We see overfeeding studies that when allowed to go back to ad librium feedings, most folks drift back down to near their old weights. I think that the maintenance of a higher bf level over time may dampen the bodies ability to get back to an old level. Could it be leptin resistence? The gravistat? Changes in environment? Yes to all.

No argument with any of that.

My point was that psychologically appealing theories with X amount of evidence have more impact and duration in the popular imagination than psychologically unpleasant ones with similar evidence (adjusted for some people enjoying perverse things, however). This, even if the thories eventually significantly debunked. Who doesn't love a good excuse, or a plausible rationalization? At least better than we like concrete evidence that our own voluntary choices have some serious downsides?

Magnifying that, often 3rd parties with something to market will exploit the psychologically appealing ideas in some way, spreading them further. (Can't make much money from an idea people don't want to adopt, though negatively-weighted ideas can be painted as "the thing we're fighting" in a marketing plan, of course.)

Not saying the above applies in a pure way to set point theory, but it might be in the mix.

For sure, I believe there are physiological/biological effects and forces to be reckoned with (including genetic ones), in weight gain, weight loss, weight maintenance. Physiology and psychology operate in the same body, and aren't *really* separate, either.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member

My point was that psychologically appealing theories with X amount of evidence have more impact and duration in the popular imagination than psychologically unpleasant ones with similar evidence (adjusted for some people enjoying perverse things, however). This, even if the thories eventually significantly debunked. Who doesn't love a good excuse, or a plausible rationalization? At least better than we like concrete evidence that our own voluntary choices have some serious downsides?

Magnifying that, often 3rd parties with something to market will exploit the psychologically appealing ideas in some way, spreading them further. (Can't make much money from an idea people don't want to adopt, though negatively-weighted ideas can be painted as "the thing we're fighting" in a marketing plan, of course.)

Not saying the above applies in a pure way to set point theory, but it might be in the mix.

For sure, I believe there are physiological/biological effects and forces to be reckoned with (including genetic ones), in weight gain, weight loss, weight maintenance. Physiology and psychology operate in the same body, and aren't *really* separate, either.

I'm not sure I see set point as "psychologically appealing". For me, if its true, it would mean I have messed up my life permanently and there's nothing I can permanently do about it. Not very appealing to me!
  • AnnPT77
    sofrances wrote: »

I'm not sure I see set point as "psychologically appealing". For me, if its true, it would mean I have messed up my life permanently and there's nothing I can permanently do about it. Not very appealing to me!

I see your point. I do think, though, that it can be a convenient reason that it's not even worth trying to lose weight, since it can't succeed long term; or that if we regain weight, it was our inevitable fate because of our "set point", not an outcome of choices: A rationalization, or excuse. I won't speak for you, but it seems as if for some of us humans, it's appealing to believe that unfavorable outcomes are not the result of choices one could've made differently, to get different outcomes.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    edited September 2020
    sofrances wrote: »

I see your point. I do think, though, that it can be a convenient reason that it's not even worth trying to lose weight, since it can't succeed long term; or that if we regain weight, it was our inevitable fate because of our "set point", not an outcome of choices: A rationalization, or excuse. I won't speak for you, but it seems as if for some of us humans, it's appealing to believe that unfavorable outcomes are not the result of choices one could've made differently, to get different outcomes.

I think the reason set point theory gets me down so much is that implies the opposite: you could have avoided pushing your set point up if you had never made the choice to overreat in the first place (assuming you became obese in adulthood), but now its up you can't bring it down again. So yes, its your fault, and no, you can't do anything about it (any more).

I advise depressed people not to talk to me! I will always find the worst case scenario! :smiley:

Of course, I have met many people on here who have kept weight off for years, and I have read studies suggesting that even yo yo dieting is better for you than constant obesity, so I don't think all hope is lost. And after all, it's still just a theory.