Winter months

13»

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I hate winter! I used to not mind the cold so much, but as I get older, I hate it more and more. Now I'll have to do my conditioning outside, and I'm not looking forward to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I'm in CALI. Winter here for me only really gets down to the 30's and 40's with no snow. So only have to wear more clothing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I think I’m part bear! As the weather gets cooler and the days get shorter my nature is to want rest and be lazy!
    Also, things like cycling, walking and running become harder and less enjoyable. Yard work dies as well so not as much opportunity for non exercise activities. In autumn I will have a ton of leaves to take so I’m hoping that helps.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited September 2020
    No, I much prefer the colder fall and winter, especially for exercising. Temperatures can, and do get extremely cold here (Minnesota). If you dress appropriately, it’s invigorating, and beautiful. As far as food goes, soups and slow cooker entree’s give me the opportunity to create low calorie foods that are freezable, for several meals.

My twinsy!

And here's another thread on the same topic:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809157/what-s-your-plan-for-the-winter/p1
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    @kshama2001
    Yet kindred spirit!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Spring forward, fall back isn't just about the time change!

I always slack off in the fall. It's part of our natural cycles. It's a good time to do chores and catch up on all the stuff you weren't doing all summer. And, rake leaves and shovel snow.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    My waterrower ships 9/17. I'm so happy that I will have something at home. My gym/pool is still closed, so DH and I made a leap to something we can do anytime-no excuses. (Plus, I LOVE rowing...) :)

Hi @girlwithcurls2, did it arrive? I row with a WaterRower too! How's it going?

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Bring it! Bring that 40° California winter! I'm not afraid! 😜
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    We are in such a drought right now that we'd welcome any kind of precipitation, hot or cold. They've predicted chance of rain today and the next couple of days. I say 'Bring THAT on!!' People are running out of water. :(
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Winter can be hard. I suffer from depression and it for sure gets worse as it gets darker and colder. That said, since I have been cooped up for so long now anyway, it might not be as bad as it usually is. Though waking up this morning and it still being dark out when I sat down to start work was difficult. I want my bed and blankets!

I actually love Fall and Winter in general though. Summer is just too hot and humid for me to do anything outside. You can keep adding layers in the winter, but you can only take so much off before you're out of options. Also, I love to cook but doing so in the summer can be miserable due to heating up the kitchen and the apartment.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Reading these posts make me feel really grateful that I live in So Cal. I am pretty close to the beach and I love early morning walks (like 5-6 a.m.). Believe it or not, it does get cold here at night, so I do have to layer up more for my morning walks in the winter. Other than that, I do yoga classes on Zoom, YouTube videos, etc. I like being outside, but I have really missed the gym these past months, and who knows when that will be an option again.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I am worried about eating sensibly at Christmas, but we've been on lockdown so much this year I'm not really imagining anything different for exercising over the winter. Walking, lots of it. Youtube work-outs, lots of them. A bit more yoga. And hopefully acquiring some heavier weights/kb's to work with at home.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    garber6th wrote: »
    Reading these posts make me feel really grateful that I live in So Cal. I am pretty close to the beach and I love early morning walks (like 5-6 a.m.). Believe it or not, it does get cold here at night, so I do have to layer up more for my morning walks in the winter. Other than that, I do yoga classes on Zoom, YouTube videos, etc. I like being outside, but I have really missed the gym these past months, and who knows when that will be an option again.

Me, too. Grew up in the mid-west and northeast and realize I have no reason to complain even a little about "winter" weather in southern california. I get to choose to go to the snow, it never comes to me (though this is 2020--I may eat those words! :p )
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You won’t hear me complaining about winter. I like it. Love walking in winter. The only thing I didn’t enjoy was my 35 mile commute, in snow, and I especially didn’t like freezing rain. I’m retired now, so no more of that. I would be so sad living somewhere it doesn’t snow. Hate, hate, hate the humidity. Florida never has to worry about this old lady becoming a snowbird. BTW, it’s 49 degrees here right now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    You won’t hear me complaining about winter. I like it. Love walking in winter. The only thing I didn’t enjoy was my 35 mile commute, in snow, and I especially didn’t like freezing rain. I’m retired now, so no more of that. I would be so sad living somewhere it doesn’t snow. Hate, hate, hate the humidity. Florida never has to worry about this old lady becoming a snowbird. BTW, it’s 49 degrees here right now.

49 degrees is awesome walking/hiking temperature!

Trying to remember the last time I had to deal with a snowy commute...between working where I lived, Florida, and working remotely, I guess it was 1999/2000!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Feel im slipping back a bit with my exercise and eating routine. Does anyone find the winter months harder

In terms of exercise, my exercise and really, my activity level in general takes a dip. Diet wise I do fine as we make a lot of soups and stews and they are nice and warm and comforting, but not really calorie bombs or anything.

I struggle more with diet in the summer in large part because we just have more social gatherings and whatnot than we do in winter...hosting backyard BBQs and pool parties with lots of good food and beer are pretty common, as are my weekend group rides that very often terminate at a brewery. But I typically get in quite a bit of exercise in the spring and through the summer and into early fall.

I struggle more with exercise in the winter because the bulk of my exercise is cycling outdoors and it's pitch dark and cold at the times I would typically be able to cycle. I have an indoor bike trainer, but I find it insufferably boring so I'm not all that consistent with it. Going into winter, I also have a bit of burnout going on...I'm usually going pretty hard from January through December and when October rolls around, I'm just kinda ready to veg a bit.

I have a few things going for me this year in that regard...I'm not burnt out at all this year because I've been sidelined with injury since May and just started riding again last week...I've been out of the game for about 5 months and right now I'm more than ready to get back in the saddle. I'll also be working from home as I have been since March which will allow me more flexibility in regards to when I can ride. Save for some days here and there, winters are relatively mild here, so mid day rides while the sun is out are very doable...I just didn't usually have that opportunity pre-covid. I'm also motivated to get the 10 or so pounds I put on last winter off...that is pretty normal, but I usually take that weight off in the spring going into summer with as much cycling as I usually do...injury pretty much left me maintaining rather than dumping last years winter weight. I've also had some other health issues creep up over the last 5 months not being able to exercise, so that is motivation to get back out there as well.

In past years I've also taken up spinning classes in the winter to help keep up with things...I don't typically care for stationary cardio, but I always though spin was pretty fun and it's an excellent workout. I stopped when I switched gyms about 5 years ago and my new place didn't have spin. I did pick it back up this past January when I switched gyms again, and it was a lot of fun.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I find winter easier since I dont like going out and its darker earlier to its easier to get to sleep and therefore not eat. Perhaps that's just me though.