• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: made tuna salad, dogs to powerline, pulled a little more salal, Post Office, Bank, Dog Bakery,
    Bonus: first time cut Joe’s hair
    Get to do: inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    28: Accept your mistakes as a way of helping you make progress. Ah yes, the feedback loop!.

Man oh man is it hot. It was 80+ degrees at 8:30 this morning when Joe threatened to buzz cut his (admittedly somewhat Biblical) hair. I asked him if he wanted me to try cutting his hair and he agreed, encouraging me that even if I messed up, he’d still be able to buzz cut it. Found this helpful: Got tired so will clean it up some tomorrow but it really looks ok. His hair is incredibly forgiving ;)

Hi Faye. You crack me up! There was a wonderful, magical, huge and perfectly pyramidcal Port Orford cedar here when we moved in. Sadly it succumbed to the Port Orford Cedar root disease last year.
    Rebecca “fowl” meme. LOL!
    Kim “…an extra hour of 2020…” amen, sister AMEN!
    Pip ((hugs))
    Katla Joe was chatting with a neighbor this morning who suggested the bear is in someone's freezer ;)
    Lanette a saucerful of apple cider vinegar might help pull the smoky smell out from the cupboards. Oops I see Tina has already suggested distilled vinegar, same principle.
    Heather and Lisa holding good thoughts for easily resolution to your pain. You’ve both been suffering too long!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh: 28, steps>5491=3877 vits=27.5 log=28 CI<CO=21 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=29 mfp=29 outside=25 up hill=27
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4dance= clean 30 mins=10
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=2
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Michelle,
    I don’t roll my clothes, i fold them and store them vertically in the drawers,

ssjb8rubyuwd.jpeg

Very interesting! I am looking for ways to store my clothes in the limited space I have.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lunch walk today ...

yyqfj5yy8obx.png

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Machka: I love daylight savings time. The tulips in the botanical garden are gorgeous! We likely won’t see any for months unless they’re raised under grow lights. Daylight savings time ends November 1, according to my calendar. I will miss it. :ohwell:

Barbara: If the bear is in the freezer, it will be put to good use and, as a bonus, the garbage cans might be safe for a while. :star:

Pip: I love your salt shaker. It looks well used and useful. :smiley:

Lanette: We’ve had a few smoky times cleaning the ovens and our strategy is to open doors and nearby windows and set fans to blow the smoke out. The last time we used our oven’s self-clean feature we had to use fans to blow smoke out the windows and let the fire department know that things were okay. :embarassed:

Michele: I’ve never heard of a float test for sourdough. I take some out of the crock to use for cooking and then double what is left in the crock by adding flour and milk. I usually use diluted canned milk. I look in the crock. If it is bubbling, the sourdough is working. When it stops bubbling, it is done working and I can put it away in the refrigerator. I keep it in the refrigerator with its lid on until the next time I want to use it. Then it needs to sit on the counter and warm up for a little while before I use it to make pancakes. :flowerforyou:

We have our house decorated for Halloween and I’m pleased with it. As the days are getting shorter, I love loads of lights. We have a lighted artificial pumpkin in the flowerbed next to the driveway, a ghost beside our front door, and another artificial pumpkin just inside the front door. There’s one on the wet bar in the living-room, too.

Katla in Halloween Town, OR
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bear meat --
    I have tried it and .... yuck!! <<shudder>> It is like a fatty pork with a real horrible wild taste. I couldn't eat it. I don't like fatty meat. I don't like pork and that wild taste was just too much.

Halloween --
    Not really a thing here. I see that there are a few decorations out but not the quantities they have tried to sell in past years. In past years, they'd have two or three small low shelves with things ... this year there's maybe 1. In past years we've had no kids but have seen maybe a half dozen around, I rather doubt we'll see any.

The ups and downs of spring! If the showers on Saturday are either in the early morning or late evening, we could have a really nice day of cycling! Here's hoping!

mu5gacsesooi.png

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @drkatiebug the drawers of clothes look very tidy!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @drkatiebug the drawers of clothes look very tidy! Do you make or buy the dividers? from what material? it looks like it could be soft plastic or cardboard or cloth.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Had a much better night with pain killers and cbd drops. I had to get up at 1 am as the cbd gave me a dream in which I had watched myself dying from the inside! :o A shutter was gradually closing by degrees.
    Ugh!
    Got up and went upstairs to read for a bit to take my mind off it. Went back to sleep.
    Still got dry eyes and slightly swollen throat.

Pip - I love things like your shaker. We have a BBC series I adore, called The Repair Shop, where people bring in in old sentimental items that have got broken or worn out. The stories and memories are the most important thing. I nearly always cry at some point. :) Usually it is the only thing they have of a beloved family member.

My phone will arrive today. I will charge it up and take it to the Vodafone store tomorrow to help me set it all up and transfer stuff. Even so I know I will lose a lot of downloaded stuff, like my Soul Music podcasts and running and dancing playlists. I like them downloaded so I'm not worrying about data signals etc when I'm on the train, or out and about. I can do them again, but it all is a bother.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    another day
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just a quick drive by.....my knitting friend posted this on FB this morning. Cracked me up. But also a wonderful idea for all of you who knit.

e5vhrcfx2mpc.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    As we come to the end of September, I'll ask ...

What does R&R (rest and relaxation) mean to you?

Sleep? Exercise? Hobbies? Meditation? Other?

Do you have a photo that would be the picture of R&R for you? :)

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Patio Tai Chi in the new banded beach sports top and old banded beach bottoms at 46 degrees. The cold still puts perk in the nipples but they are down and to the side from where they once were, so no worries of the paperazzi with their night vision cameras getting that stunning shot for the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Inside to finish my workout at a balmy 68 degrees. I did extra reps to warm up. Maybe leggings tomorrow and my stretchy Lole jacket or Tai Chi inside but that is another day and another decision I am not prepared to make at this moment and time.

DrKatie I love your drawers and idea of putting garments on edge. That is great where you have such an assortment of colors and styles. It makes everything easy to see and take out. I love sportswear and your collection and must now clean the drool off my keyboard. Your leggings drawer had me mesmerized. I would spend half the day trying them all on, sashaying around, and seeing which ones looked best for the day.

Faetta
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Watched the local news and had a cup of tea.
    Went out and sort of got the patio furniture set for winter and brushed off the patio.. fed the dog and will hop in the shower..will be going to Davids memorial service this morning and here is hoping it doesnt rain...could have showers.. also this afternoon I have my first appointment with endocrinologist..so im sure she will send me for a battery of bloodwork..
    Lisa i sure hope you get to the bottom of whats ailing you and can set it right as we sure do miss you xoxox
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie - I do my foldable clothes the same way. It makes it easy to see what's what in the drawers. I also find more fits in the drawer this way.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Thank you for all of the tips regarding smoke smells. Charcoal briquettes in little dishes put inside the cupboards last night did the trick. Cleaner is coming this morning - after she leaves, the plan is to set little dishes of vinegar or baking soda or charcoal on various countertops if the odor is still present. Since we're going to have a warm week, I'll wash the kitchen windows, blinds, and take a swipe at the walls with vinegar water-all were in desperate need of a good cleaning anyhow.

So many chores like this went by the wayside over the past couple years but now that I'm back to good physical shape, time to get after them.

Barbara - I finally took the time to look up the Chetco wind you've mentioned. Amazing the mini/micro climates some of us experience; looks like you are cooler today? Good job on Joe's haircut; thanks for the videos.

We get a little bit of that in the fall and spring with warm air in eastern Washington streaming west over White Pass which is east of us. Some mornings the temps a few miles north of us will be in the 30's while we'll be in the high 40's. Seems like it generally evens out in a few hours.

So OK, if I can get the teleporter adjusted to be a time machine, I want go back to being 18 and study to be a meteorologist, geologist, or epidemiologist. Why not all three? :D

Sending good thoughts to everyone feeling poorly. And (HUGS).

Time to let the dogs and get things put up for the cleaner.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State with a beautiful bright starry sky right now. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    That's the Marie Kondo method. :D I do my pyjamas like that.

This is my R&R in a nutshell. Languages, dancing, home decoration, international news and views. Singing should be on there. I love a nap, and I love to run along the seafront. (Unfortunately singing and dancing are on hold. I also like to have people round for a meal, which I can't do, and eat out with old friends, ditto). My happiest R&R is being with the grandchildren. I also love my TV and my online stuff. :D I used to love foreign travel, beautiful architecture, and art galleries and museums. :'( Now I just read about it, or watch, or listen to a good cultural programme. Today there was an excellent one on the Vindalanda tablets, my favourite things in the British Museum.

clmchv555unu.jpg

Love Heather UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    @drkatiebug the drawers of clothes look very tidy! Do you make or buy the dividers? from what material? it looks like it could be soft plastic or cardboard or cloth.

Most of them are these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5CKFO1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shirts have no dividers. The ones I am using for the dressy tanks are hard plastic. I picked them up at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are not my favorites. I much prefer the cloth covered cardboard ones that I linked.

Machka, you can google Marie Kondo folding (which is kind of sort of what I am doing) or file folding clothes, which is really more what mine ended up. You can store way more clothes and they don't get as messy folded this way. Having said that, it's not for everyone. My husband refuses to have his clothes folded that way so his drawers are traditional. He does his laundry, so to each his own. I would love to have our dish towels and cloths folded like this, but he would just mess them up so I don't. Those drawers are very narrow so we just fold one cloth and one matching towel and stack so that we pull out a set at a time. He can handle that and it doesn't bother me too much!

• Machka9
    Options
    Dr Katie - I do my foldable clothes the same way. It makes it easy to see what's what in the drawers. I also find more fits in the drawer this way.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

I'm curious how they stand up like that.

And once you've removed a few because you're wearing them or they're in the laundry, does the whole system collapse?

Also, to both you @okiewoman510 and Dr Katie @drkatiebug , what do you do with your shoes? :smiley:

Curious minds want to know!

drkatiebug wrote: »

Most of them are these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5CKFO1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shirts have no dividers. The ones I am using for the dressy tanks are hard plastic. I picked them up at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are not my favorites. I much prefer the cloth covered cardboard ones that I linked.

Machka, you can google Marie Kondo folding (which is kind of sort of what I am doing) or file folding clothes, which is really more what mine ended up. You can store way more clothes and they don't get as messy folded this way.

Ah thanks.

I've figured out how to fold pants so they take up less room.

I'm debating which way I like better for all my leggings - folded flat or rolled ... or maybe there's a better way.

I roll my cycling jerseys and keep them in fabric cubes in a cube unit.

M in Oz

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    M in Oz I use this method with my dish towels and use a plastic bookend and just slide it up.