WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying out Flotation Therapy.

Have any of you tried it?

----

M in Oz

I have, but more for the experience than for therapeutic purposes. It was relaxing once I forgot I was there. I was in my 20s, so I didn't have pain or sleep issues then, so I just tried to enjoy the experience.

Tina in CA

I'm looking at 2 places which both offer a 1-hour float and 1-hour massage.

It looks very appealing!

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather

I had to look up the Vindolanda tablets on Wikipedia. The first tablets were discovered by student excavator Keith Liddell, at a Roman fort in northern England (Vindolanda). The tablets are thin wood, about the size of postcards, and "record official military matters as well as personal messages to and from members of the garrison of Vindolanda, their families, and their slaves.”

hnj0679yy1mb.png

Very cool.

Karen in Virginia

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) September is winding down. Tomorrow I'll be preparing and posting the new thread for October. The first of the month is a good time for a reset of plans and resolutions and goals.

:) I do my own variation of folded/rolled clothing in my drawers. I don't have a lot of clothes so it's easier to store them and keep track of them.

:) We'll have warmer sunny weather today for the visit from my friend who leaves for Arizona soon. I want to walk with her but she may prefer to sit on the patio because of various knee and back problems.

:) Yesterday we made a great exchange with a neighbor who makes jam from the strawberries she grows. We gave her a bag of our home grown tomatoes.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    As we come to the end of September, I'll ask ...

What does R&R (rest and relaxation) mean to you?

Sleep? Exercise? Hobbies? Meditation? Other?

Do you have a photo that would be the picture of R&R for you? :)

Machka in Oz
    That's the Marie Kondo method. :D I do my pyjamas like that.

This is my R&R in a nutshell. Languages, dancing, home decoration, international news and views. Singing should be on there. I love a nap, and I love to run along the seafront. (Unfortunately singing and dancing are on hold. I also like to have people round for a meal, which I can't do, and eat out with old friends, ditto). My happiest R&R is being with the grandchildren. I also love my TV and my online stuff. :D I used to love foreign travel, beautiful architecture, and art galleries and museums. :'(
    Love Heather UK

I have taken to snagging photos from sites like this one for my desktop wallpaper collection. Mainly relaxing looking photos of outdoor areas.
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/

I should be able to start running again soon. I've built up my walking to 6 km at one go, at a reasonably brisk pace (about an hour to cover that distance). Next up, I'd like to start doing run-walks. Walk to warm up, run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit.

And travel ... it's been so long.

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Dr Katie - I do my foldable clothes the same way. It makes it easy to see what's what in the drawers. I also find more fits in the drawer this way.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

I'm curious how they stand up like that.

And once you've removed a few because you're wearing them or they're in the laundry, does the whole system collapse?

Also, to both you @okiewoman510 and Dr Katie @drkatiebug , what do you do with your shoes? :smiley:

Curious minds want to know!

drkatiebug wrote: »
    @drkatiebug the drawers of clothes look very tidy! Do you make or buy the dividers? from what material? it looks like it could be soft plastic or cardboard or cloth.

Most of them are these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5CKFO1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shirts have no dividers. The ones I am using for the dressy tanks are hard plastic. I picked them up at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are not my favorites. I much prefer the cloth covered cardboard ones that I linked.

Machka, you can google Marie Kondo folding (which is kind of sort of what I am doing) or file folding clothes, which is really more what mine ended up. You can store way more clothes and they don't get as messy folded this way.

Ah thanks.

I've figured out how to fold pants so they take up less room.

I'm debating which way I like better for all my leggings - folded flat or rolled ... or maybe there's a better way.

I roll my cycling jerseys and keep them in fabric cubes in a cube unit.

M in Oz

I do laundry quite often, so I don't ever have that much out of a drawer at one time. I don't have an issue with them collapsing. I wasn't aware it was the Kondo method, I just folded them so they fit in the drawer space I had. I like them up on end like that so I can see what shirt it is. My hubs prefers them stacked so I do his that way.

For shoes, mine are on pull out drawers in elfa shelving, stacking cubes on a high shelf and my boots are lined up on the balance of the high shelf (with boot stays to keep them standing upright). I have a bit of a shoe problem :wink: I have to donate a pair to get a new pair because I am out of space. Well, if I found a pair of fantastic boots, I do have a wee bit more space I could steal from hubs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country (who should confess I am a bit OCD with organization)
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Dr Katie - I do my foldable clothes the same way. It makes it easy to see what's what in the drawers. I also find more fits in the drawer this way.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

I'm curious how they stand up like that.

And once you've removed a few because you're wearing them or they're in the laundry, does the whole system collapse?

Also, to both you @okiewoman510 and Dr Katie @drkatiebug , what do you do with your shoes? :smiley:

Curious minds want to know!

drkatiebug wrote: »
    @drkatiebug the drawers of clothes look very tidy! Do you make or buy the dividers? from what material? it looks like it could be soft plastic or cardboard or cloth.

Most of them are these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5CKFO1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shirts have no dividers. The ones I am using for the dressy tanks are hard plastic. I picked them up at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are not my favorites. I much prefer the cloth covered cardboard ones that I linked.

Machka, you can google Marie Kondo folding (which is kind of sort of what I am doing) or file folding clothes, which is really more what mine ended up. You can store way more clothes and they don't get as messy folded this way.

Ah thanks.

I've figured out how to fold pants so they take up less room.

I'm debating which way I like better for all my leggings - folded flat or rolled ... or maybe there's a better way.

I roll my cycling jerseys and keep them in fabric cubes in a cube unit.

M in Oz

I do laundry quite often, so I don't ever have that much out of a drawer at one time. I don't have an issue with them collapsing. I wasn't aware it was the Kondo method, I just folded them so they fit in the drawer space I had. I like them up on end like that so I can see what shirt it is. My hubs prefers them stacked so I do his that way.

For shoes, mine are on pull out drawers in elfa shelving, stacking cubes on a high shelf and my boots are lined up on the balance of the high shelf (with boot stays to keep them standing upright). I have a bit of a shoe problem :wink: I have to donate a pair to get a new pair because I am out of space. Well, if I found a pair of fantastic boots, I do have a wee bit more space I could steal from hubs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country (who should confess I am a bit OCD with organization)

I use a shelf with doors (like a flat pack kitchen pantry type of shelf) for my tops and it is stuffed absolutely full. I need to take things out the night before and hang them in the bathroom to get the wrinkles out. I really need to go through my clothes!

If I had my way, the entire dressing room would be shelving rather than drawers. I don't like drawers. But my husband likes the look of wood furniture so dressers it was.

Right now two of my dresser drawers house shoes, but I'm thinking of pulling them out of there and putting them ... somewhere. Then using the dresser drawers for clothes. I'll have to give that folding technique a go.

And I can think of about 4 pair of shoes which can be sent off to the local OP shop. I have very low ankle bones so I try on shoes, and they seem all right for a few minutes of walking around the store. But when I wear them and actually get walking somewhere, they just about saw my ankle bones off ... I'm literally left bleeding. The 4 pair in question are hardly worn and I've tried insoles and all sorts to lift my foot, but they're just not comfortable.

When I finish my course, one of the first things I want to do is to go through stuff and get rid of what I won't wear again. :) I actually do enjoy doing that ... and discovering clothes I haven't really seen in a long time!

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Machka -

Drawers with flats/tennis shoes, etc
    3h7r5214vf71.jpeg

Shelf with double stacked short boots, taller boots, and stacked shoe bins.
    2ffhlxlxilu7.jpeg

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,523 Member
    The title cane in the mail from having paid the airline in full so I told the new owners. We r going to meet up on Friday. We also sent a pic of it to the insurance company and the are going to mail us a check for the repair bill, over 14k!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,820 Member
    Faetta wrote: »
    Rita I should have read this earlier. Had I known it was the good neighbor day I wouldn't have jumped the old man kitten across the street for letting his trash blow over in my yard. I didn't realize there was a special day to ask stupid questions. Knowing such would have saved me a lot of embarrassment yesterday.

Now the vegetarian hugging and drinking beer might work out for me. The handsome old hunk a couple of blocks down went veggie a few years back but still consumes a lot of beer. He looks very huggable so off to purchase some beer and see what transpires.

Faye

Loved this Faye! 😂❤️😁
  • pipcd34
    We have been having issues with the bike trainer lately and thankfully it worked for the MS ride. When I was riding, kirby took a video of me riding so he can send the manufacturer a video of the noise it was making. Kirby said he got an email and they are going to send us a new one. We also bought a spin bike that is due to b delivered in a couple of weeks. The will pay for return shipping!
  • kevrit
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Just a quick drive by.....my knitting friend posted this on FB this morning. Cracked me up. But also a wonderful idea for all of you who knit.

e5vhrcfx2mpc.png

If anyone finds the pattern for this, please share!

RvRita
  • kevrit
    Getting more walking in. Feel good about that. Cooler weather is making walking much more comfortable! In today’s walk, I got some cool pictures of water drops on the grass. Sun was hitting them just right!

Today is September 29,2020
    National Coffee Day—/US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Malaysia, Ethiopia
    Confucius Day— Worldwide
    World Heart Day- Worldwide
    Feast of Angels Day- Worldwide

RvRita

krj6a6vpzn5c.jpeg
    wvoyxioorlvh.jpeg
    4g3c32wnb1iq.jpeg
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying out Flotation Therapy.

Have any of you tried it?

----

M in Oz

I have, but more for the experience than for therapeutic purposes. It was relaxing once I forgot I was there. I was in my 20s, so I didn't have pain or sleep issues then, so I just tried to enjoy the experience.

Tina in CA

I'm looking at 2 places which both offer a 1-hour float and 1-hour massage.

It looks very appealing!

M in Oz

I remember spending the first several minutes just trying to see. It was like a contest between myself and the pod. Don't waste time doing that...the pod will win. Just close your eyes and feel the float. It is a very "cool" experience.

I like the combination with the massage, unless you have to wear a mask the whole time. Getting a massage with a mask crammed against your face for the better part of an hour is unpleasant. I desperately need a massage, but got one several weeks ago when they were first allowed to open, before they were closed again, and won't do it again unless I can remove the mask. So, it may be a year before I can get one.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Barbara: The freezer is a good place for a nuisance bear. I hope the bear doesn’t have a friend who will take over his former territory. :devil:

Machka: Disney studios made a film called Halloween Town right here in our town. It was shot during the summer, and the oak trees near the Court House were painted in lovely fall colors. The trees survived. Many of the props are still here, and we have a fun celebration every October. It is a boon for many local businesses. :smiley: I decorated our house yesterday, inside and out. All of the pumpkins at my house are plastic. No living pumpkins this year. Last year our son and his family were here for a visit and we bought fresh pumpkins for them to carve. :wink:

SuziQ: I love grandmother’s helmet mask. Do you suppose she is from Troy? It certainly looks Trojan. :bigsmile:

Machka: R&R for me is getting to ride my friend’s horse, walking in the neighborhood with DH & the dog, and knitting. I haven’t started a new knitting project yet, but I will. I like knitting during fall and winter. All of my grandchildren are past the baby blanket stage and I plan to make some as gifts to new mothers at one of the region’s hospitals. I haven’t contacted the group of knitters for guidance yet because I’ve been preoccupied with husband and dog health issues. :ohwell:

Pip: I’m delighted that the insurance company is sending you the money for your trailer repair. Yay!!! :star:

Faye: Beer is definitely made from plants. Hops in particular are a main ingredient. I have taken myself off of alcohol and DH can’t drink beer, although he can still drink whiskey. We keep beer on hand for a friend who stops by occasionally.

Rita: Happy Coffee Day!!! I’m having my morning coffee at this moment. We’re definitely coffee drinkers :bigsmile: I found a crochet pattern helmet tutorial on u-tube. Go for it!!! :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    Okie

I like those red cowboy boots.

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    Wonderful thing to see, yogi walking off leash beautifully with father
    rn1cbgi6r8yb.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Karen - The best one, and one of the most famous, is a party invitation from one woman to another. Some of it was written by a scribe (slave, probably) and the last part is in her own hand. Utterly charming and brings the era to life.
    Yesterday we watched a fascinating programme about the history of writing. In Rome they used papyrus, but, in the North of England, they had to use the wooden 'postcards '. :D

I am pleased to say that my legs are virtually back to normal. Still want to know what it was. Throat still sore. Eyes dry at night. DH is feeling off today. I have had similar achy flares before, quite regularly, with dry eyes, so still want to investigate Sjogren's Syndrome. This was the worst leg aches though and for longer.
    Any thoughts, Karen?

My phone has arrived. It's charging. :) I spent some time today changing my playlists back to online, so they will transfer with Amazon Music. I will still lose my Soul Music downloads, but can find them on BBC Sounds, which I will have enough gbs for on my new phone. My old one is only 16, so I couldn't put any new apps on there. New one is 64, plus space for my old micro sd card.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Lanette - I don't envy you trying to get that smell out. I had a house fire years ago and the professionals used something like this, I found this on Amazon.ca: Bamboo Odor Eliminator Bags, Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag, I see you found the answer.
    If I could go back in time to 18, I probably would become a psychologist or anthropologist, I love knowing how people think and live.

Machka - Love your walk pictures. The town I am from in NB has banned trick or treating this year. The townsfolk are in an uproar over it. I sort of agree with them, they have no cases of Covid and have had only 1 since it all started. As long as the treats are store bought and individually packaged I don't see the harm. Who am I to decide though?
    My daughter and her best friend have planned a scavenger hunt for candy at one of their houses followed by "scary" movies. It will probably be Coco as 2 of the children are only 4. My Grandson will be permitted to stay up later with the adults to enjoy a bit scarier movie. Maybe a Scooby Doo or such. I think it is a good idea, the kids and adults will wear costumes for their adventure.
    This is the family they have been co-horting with since it was allowed.

Heather - My husband faithfully watches The Repair Shop, what an incredible idea for a business. Like you I cry throughout it at some point as well. I have a few pieces that I would take if I could find one.

Suzi - I had a friend make that hat for my Grandson when he was 2, he wore it for about 5 years when it just wouldn't stretch anymore. He loved it. It would probably stop some droplets, but not all for sure.

Top of page 89, but I really must stop now.
    Machka _ I'll add my R&R later on my phone where my pictures are stored.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • KetoneKaren
    Heather
    Mild Dehydration, Hypothyroidism, Sjogren’s Syndrome all come to mind. Certain medications. Diabetes and vascular insufficiency would not be likely because of your splendid conditioning & attention to nutrition. Worth getting checked out!

I love the story about the party invitation.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    I thought of the Mari Kondo approach too when I saw those vertical clothes. In the usa most people have some drawers but in France most people have shelves with doors for putting trousers, T-shirts, tank tops, etc., any clothes that doesn't need to be hung on hanger except socks and undies maybe. I do have sock and undie drawers. I did try a nice folding approach but I found it time consuming, for socks and undies, when rushed or tired so gave it up during a long busy period. it did look nice. The socks collapsed but the undies were nicely folded. I used this approach:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+fold+underwear&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_UGJzX_jRB9G9lwT_lKfgCg21

socks and tights were harder to find a good approach for. avoiding stretching sock elastics for storage seems to make the elastics last much longer; which are often the 1st thing to go knee socks.

A Cleaning person came again today (1st time in a long time). This one seems good. she's into natural products. Some of the others are really into harsh product and bleach and so on. I usually do housework if possible at the same time, so it's double results in a way. I did the ironing, which I was way behind on, which is unusual for me. And I resorted clothes shelfs and closets (except aforementioned drawers).

PARING DOWN I have a small closet, by usa standards anyway. About 1 m wide max by 45 cm deep or so. I haven't had the heard to buy stuff of late. but occasionally I toss stuff. now the closet is half empty. only 50 cm of stuff and not very squished. a few dresses, a few shirts, a few jackets, a couple of longish skirts, a couple of bags, and that's about it.i even keep a few summer dresses in the same closet. there's no winter/summer closet.

Sometimes I've emptied a closet that way, very effortfully, but I love that it happened naturally. I just got rid of a few summer dresses I haven't worn for years, and never wore much.

SO TIRED today. I don't know why.