• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    being independently wealthy must be awesome, change my mind

money is the root of all evil
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

thats just a thing people say to make u feel better when youre not independently wealthy

I once saw this special on lottery winners and they asked this guys... "Does money buy happiness?"

And he replied...

th?id=OGC.b00cc4afbee880199d98dde418273ebe&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f5hsdi50ceNL0TJVgDB%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=TdTkoVJBCX0JQjN%2fazeBUjGmDJ7PXsUFluxPOfn9iTo%3d

I'll certainly volunteer for a case study.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited September 2020

thats just a thing people say to make u feel better when youre not independently wealthy

I once saw this special on lottery winners and they asked this guys... "Does money buy happiness?"

And he replied...

th?id=OGC.b00cc4afbee880199d98dde418273ebe&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f5hsdi50ceNL0TJVgDB%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=TdTkoVJBCX0JQjN%2fazeBUjGmDJ7PXsUFluxPOfn9iTo%3d

I recently listened to a great course on why people think the way they do - there was a study that said 6 months after winning the lottery people's happiness level returns to where it was prior to winning.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I've been rich & I've been poor.

... rich is better.

imho - financial wealth makes happy people happier and miserable folks more miserable.

(be careful not to fall into the trap of chasing material goods for the sake of owning material goods)

I have seen some evidence that the threshold is 75k/year. Below that more money does make you happier, you worry less about financial difficulties and can afford the basic comforts of life. The gains in happiness from getting more money after that drops drastically.

I am sure the exact threshold varies depending on cost of living in your area, but it seems like a sound theory.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

... rich is better.

imho - financial wealth makes happy people happier and miserable folks more miserable.

(be careful not to fall into the trap of chasing material goods for the sake of owning material goods)

Yes, this..

There's a difference between wealth you've worked hard for and suddenly coming into money from a lottery win.

Being wealthy enough to be able to pay your bills with no worries, replace things easily when they break, not to have to budget for items.. yeah, it is good but more so that it was earnt. @Motorsheen is correct though about chasing material things for the sake of owning material things.. it can be a trap no matter where your money comes from.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

... rich is better.

I have seen some evidence that the threshold is 75k/year. Below that more money does make you happier, you worry less about financial difficulties and can afford the basic comforts of life. The gains in happiness from getting more money after that drops drastically.

I am sure the exact threshold varies depending on cost of living in your area, but it seems like a sound theory.

75k ?!?!

So.... like ya know, can I borrow twenty bucks??

I’ll pay you back.... umm, kinda soon.
  • denny_mac
    denny_mac Posts: 71 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    Camping sucks. Its what we did before we had houses.

that like saying ‘hiking/biking/horseback riding sucks, its what we did before cars’

While you have shown the major flaw in my argument I still think camping stinks.

I agree. I'm not gonna try to change your mind.
  • Motorsheen

that like saying ‘hiking/biking/horseback riding sucks, its what we did before cars’

While you have shown the major flaw in my argument I still think camping stinks.

I agree 100%.

Camping is a ghetto sport and should be renamed: Homeless Lite

• slimgirljo15
    edited September 2020

I agree 100%.

How about caravaning?
  • Motorsheen

I agree 100%.

How about caravaning?

..... it depends on what kind of snacks and road food is onboard.
  • slimgirljo15

I agree 100%.

How about caravaning?

..... it depends on what kind of snacks and road food is onboard.

I make a pretty mean nibble plate 😁
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited September 2020