Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

what’s a good diet growing glutes and toning abs???

jaslynxxjaslynxx Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
Hi I have recently stopped my keto diet since a lot are saying you need to eat more carbs and protein to grow glutes.
I work out everyday at home, no weights just a resistance band. I do a lot of ab and glute workouts mainly.
I weigh 120lbs, and i’m 4’11, 19yo.

I don’t wanna gain a bunch of weight in my face or arms or stomach area so i’m scared to yo my calories but I also want to grow glutes..
What kind of diet should I be on? I’m so lost.

tsi6yj2k5bl5.jpeg

This is me doing 1 month of keto and working out at home everyday with just abs and glute workouts. I wasn’t calorie counting just tracking my carbs and sugars only.
edited September 16

Replies

• sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,637 Member Member Posts: 9,637 Member
    Based on your stats and physique I would eat at maintenance to recomp and lose fat and gain muscle over time. Get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight) and I would follow a program that has you working glutes at least 3x per week. Abs will come from lowering your bodyfat and lifting and some ab work can help work the muscles so they show when your bodyfat goes down.

You can check out the list of programs here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Strong Curves has a bodyweight program where you can definitely add bands to add resistance. However over time if you want to continue to workout at home and progress, I would recommend you invest in some weights (dumbbells, kettlebells, eventually barbell if you can) since it's pretty easy to max out on lower body.
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,637 Member Member Posts: 9,637 Member
    If you did want to gain you could do so but in order to keep fat gain lower many people start off very lean. So you could eat just a hair below maintenance to focus more on lowering your bodyfat, your glutes might not grow much if at all but you will be in a prime position to bulk/eat in surplus once you lean down.

However unfortunately if you gain you cannot control where fat goes, so some belly and face fat might be something you have to deal with until you cut again.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 36,686 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 36,686 MFP Moderator
    They are a bit of opposing goals. If you want ab definition, getting leaner will be the best way. Doing ab exercises will build the muscle but you need low body fat to reveal them. This could sacrifice some of your butt fat which could make your butt look smaller. But then you could always bulk to give muscle growth a maximal ability. This would be a cut bulk cycle

A recomp is possible but it can be slow and requires consistency (think months to years). This for many people can be a struggle. But for others who don't have a time frame, it can be a good path.

Either way, you will get suboptimal results unless you have a solid program based around thr principals of progressive overload. This is often going to be a struggle for those without gym access or a good home gym.

First thing is to determine what is your first goal (butt or abs) and aim for that. Second is to find a program that enables you to reach your goals (probably strongcurves is the best).
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 8,579 Member Member Posts: 8,579 Member
    Your goals overlap.

If your goal is to grow glutes then I would eat in a small surplus until your waist is 33".

If your goal is to tone and, then I would eat in a small deficit.

You could do maintenance calories and have success, though I think with the right guidance you'd be more efficient otherwise.

With either goal, I would run a hypertrophy template if possible.

• Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,233 Member Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Your goals overlap.

If your goal is to grow glutes then I would eat in a small surplus until your waist is 33".

You could do maintenance calories and have success, though I think with the right guidance you'd be more efficient otherwise.

Wouldn't a 33 inch waist on a 4'10" female put her in a seriously overweight range?

• gothchiqgothchiq Member Posts: 4,561 Member Member Posts: 4,561 Member
    As you tighten your midsection, your glutes look bigger by comparison. This is already visible in your comparison pictures. So you're already headed that way, and I agree with getting enough protein and doing resistance training especially to focus on glutes and abs.
  • ExistingFishExistingFish Member Posts: 1,109 Member Member Posts: 1,109 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Your goals overlap.

Wouldn't a 33 inch waist on a 4'10" female put her in a seriously overweight range?

It put a 5'0" female (me) in the obese range, so 4'10" I would be really worried about that size
    Your goals overlap.

If she was non-Asian and has a high BMI, 33" waist or more, and has a fairly low LBM...then that would throw red flags on her being in the grey area for disease and early death.

Then more screening should be administered.
    Your goals overlap.

It put a 5'0" female (me) in the obese range, so 4'10" I would be really worried about that size

33" is the exact same red flag for either height. Doctors would be concerned the same regardless of two inch height difference and would seek the same screening protocol. One really isn't worse than the other given the info we know of both of you.

Example: My weight puts me in the obese category via BMI charts. My waist circumference is 35" via waist measurement. I'm in decent shape, probably near top percentile for my age in the USA for a unenhanced athlete. We can see the waist measurement would be more telling for me as a individual. Though the doctors would be just as concerned with my BMI as another male of my age(two inches shorter) until more screening is performed.

• MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,866 Member Member Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have a layer of visceral fat under my stomach muscles. I can see a six pack when I flex but have a 34/35 inch waist, which isn't great (I like to be at 33 or so, ideally, maybe even 32). Looking straight in the mirror, it looks great. Side angles, not so much!

Weightlifting does help with visceral fat better than cardio. I'm more of a cardio person but have read a lot more recently on visceral fat. Though I have had back issues for two years, I'm doing what I can lifting, because it seems to reduce stomach fat faster than just cardio.

As for diet, tighten up calories, especially sugar and fat. I'm doing these exact things right now.
  • Mellouk89Mellouk89 Member Posts: 104 Member Member Posts: 104 Member
    When you gain muscles in the abdominal area, does your waist not get bigger as a result? Thus an increase in waist size?

It should be the same as for any other body parts.

edited 7:34PM