Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    edited October 2021
    nay0meh wrote: »
    @steveko89 Thank you!!!! I have been lifting for almost two years and think I’ve maxed out on my newbie gains. My bf was measured as 15% through in body but I don’t think it’s that low honestly. Looking to build my glutes and legs so going to try bulking. I’m scared because I don’t want to gain fat too much but feel confident that I can switch if I need. I believe in myself amd know I’ve got this! Hoping to find support here on the days I need to remember to stay the course!

I was similarly reluctant before I finally intentionally bulked for the first time last fall/winter and have been super happy with the result. Overall, I gained ~7 lbs in 20 weeks and was able to get down to around the same spot on the scale to maintain (hypothetically with an extra few pounds of muscle). I definitely agree with Gary that figuring out what your actual maintenance is can be beneficial. As my TDEE crept up I kept needing to increase my cals to continue adding weight so my trend over those 20 weeks is much more of a stair-step than a line.

As far as support and head space there are definitely days you need to relax and trust the process. Even only gaining the relatively small amount I did last year messed with me some days. I learned there were some clothes I didn't like wearing as much and was able to power through, at least in part to venting to this thread.

Also, bravo @GaryRuns. That spreadsheet is a beauty.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    nay0meh wrote: »
    Going to take a leap of faith and try bulking for my first time ever. I am excited and nervous both! I am lean and vascular in my upper body and mid section but my legs and glutes need to grow I think and then hit the fat loss more. What advice do people have? I have been in a deficit from my TDEE for almost a year and I am wondering if I will see results just from eating at maintenance for a few weeks and then increasing by 100-200 calories over that? Thoughts?

You don't really need any maintenance phase between cutting and bulking. I would suggest figuring out what your current TDEE is vs. whatever you used as a reference at the start of your cutting phase. Being in a deficit that long, even if just a mild one, will result in some metabolic adaptation (what most conflate with the dreaded "starvation mode"). Prior to my bulk last fall I didn't think I had ever dieted successfully enough or consistently enough for this to kick in but it turns out what I had observed as my historical TDEE was one that had been depressed by about 7% from years of being too fat-phobic and spinning my wheels in continuous attempts to properly get lean (<10%... still haven't made it).

I would only advocate for a "lean" or controlled bulk. Depending on training experience you're looking at a surplus requisite to 1.5-3lbs per month total weight gain (+175 to +350 cal/day).

Below is from a recent T-Nation article about gaining muscle:

CONTROLLED BULKING
    Beginner: 4-5 pounds per month for men and 2-3 pounds per month for women
    Intermediate: 3-4 pounds per month for men and 1.5-2 pounds per month for women
    Advanced: 2-3 pounds per month for men and 1.5 pounds per month for women
    source: https://www.t-nation.com/lean-built-eating/how-much-to-eat-for-muscle-growth/

As an advanced lifter I personally think those recommendations are totally unrealistic, I’d consider 2-3lb of muscle gain in a year amazing but according to that I’d have to gain around 20-30lb of fat to obtain that contractile tissue.

After such a long time in a deficit I’d definitely run a maintenance phase before entering a massing phase
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Hello! Been a few weeks, but I recovered from COVID and moved across the globe from US to Europe! I have maintained a solid 4 day/week lifting routine, with about a 1.5 week break in there due to burnt-out-ness. Weight has crept up about 2 pounds, but I am nowhere near bulked or screaming...and I am not sure I want to be. I am trying to figure out my goals. Currently, it's not to gain a lot since I have a trip to Malta next weekend (!!!!!) and I know I'll be travelling more for work the following week. Unintentional bulk is en route ;)
  • steveko89
    Mass being cultivated pretty well on schedule. TDEE seems to have crept up with a bit of requisite slow down to scale increase, planning to maintain the +300/day so overall intake is up a bit. Was also able to snag a deal on some bigger adjustable DBs (up to 90 vs 52.5 LBs each) which was far overdue.

Good to see you’re well, @alexmose2
  • watts6151
    Doesn’t look like I’ve gained anything in the last month, work has been hectic and my TDEE is just
    Ridiculous, on the plus side I dont look too fluffy. The plan is still gaining more 5 lb before Christmas and then a short maintenance phase over the holidays before starting a contest prep
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Mass being cultivated pretty well on schedule. TDEE seems to have crept up with a bit of requisite slow down to scale increase, planning to maintain the +300/day so overall intake is up a bit. Was also able to snag a deal on some bigger adjustable DBs (up to 90 vs 52.5 LBs each) which was far overdue.

Crazy how equipment is still so expensive! Took me 2 years to find a bike but finally got one from a local shop!
  • steveko89
    alexmose2 wrote: »

Crazy how equipment is still so expensive! Took me 2 years to find a bike but finally got one from a local shop!

No kidding. I’ve gotten lucky on used stuff twice; this set of bowflex 1090s for less than half retail because they were “used” on eBay, but basically open-box as I can see, and a bunch of Rogue stuff on Facebook marketplace for half retail.
  • steveko89
    Seven weeks of massing so far. It’s been a much more even pace than last year so far, right around that 0.5%/week target. Originally thought I’d try to hit 185, which would basically put me at Christmas, but I’m not sure I want to add that much. Shouldn’t make any decisions today though, bit of a crazy good day yesterday and feeling flabtastic today as a result.

zzbdynz4akwc.png
  • steveko89
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Doesn’t look like I’ve gained anything in the last month, work has been hectic and my TDEE is just
    Ridiculous, on the plus side I dont look too fluffy. The plan is still gaining more 5 lb before Christmas and then a short maintenance phase over the holidays before starting a contest prep

Hey, @watts6151. Is this planned maintenance phase out of convenience for the holidays or serve a beneficial purpose transitioning from bulk to cut?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 wrote: »

Hey, @watts6151. Is this planned maintenance phase out of convenience for the holidays or serve a beneficial purpose transitioning from bulk to cut?

Hey, it’s a combination of everything tbh
    Convenience as I’ll be away over the holidays.
    After several meso’s I’ll definitely need a recovery phase, I want to maintain weight as I believe this to be the best way to retain muscle when I start cutting.
    I also don’t want to go from massing calories straight into a deficit as hunger levels will spike quite quickly.

The guys at RP seem to have the similar idea

https://youtu.be/inPPdCuJ734

• steveko89
    @watts6151, thanks for your input; I'd not seen that particular video previously. Not liking the mirror and how I'm feeling so I'm shifting to maintenance for at least a few weeks, if not the rest of the year.

Overall, I think it was a productive ~8 weeks; just shy of 8 lbs via moving average. If nothing else I've learned I preferred the 8 lbs in 8 weeks to 8 lbs in 20 weeks from last year but I think somewhere in the middle (ideally with a lower starting weight for more runway to gain) would be better.
  • watts6151

I know the feeling, I’ve not been this fluffy for along time, I just wanted to guarantee I was in a surplus everyday no matter what. Currently I’ve having to virtually force feed everyday, cannot wait for maintenance.

Its definitely a balance how quickly to mass, starting lean definitely gives you some wiggle room

• steveko89

I was looking at some history today and I haven't sustained at this heavy of a weight (~182 lbs) in at least 5 years and really haven't done so for any length of time since I was a chubby teenager ~2006.

Similarly, I looked at my wife a few days ago and just blurted "I'm so tired of eating..."

Being at 2700 yesterday was delightful, compared with the 3100 I've averaged since the month started.

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    I started this week intending to start a bulk, but feeling bad all day stuffing myself made me rethink my plan. Starting a recomp instead. I hope this works, because I can’t see myself planning my day completely around eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2021
    Does over eating at Disney count as a bulk? If so i am bulking
  • watts6151
    Adjusting to 1 more week of bulking before a well
    Earned maintenance phase, bf , heart rate and blood pressure are all elevated to my maximum.
    A nice steady maintenance phase until the new year is definitely required. Overall happy with the potential results, will see what the scale says as I diet down. Morning weight 246lb

• alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Hi, everyone! Hope you all are excited for the holidays! Unfortunately, my "bulk" got out of control. I have gained 10 lbs this year, which is a decent rate, but the last 5 lbs have been due to travel and lack of exercise this past month. I am taking this time to cut, using a very, small deficit. I probably will not worry about cutting on actual holidays, but I have promised myself no more vacations/work travel for the next 2-3 months so I can get my nutrition and training under control.

Cheers.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I'm just about done with my "bulk". I'm not sure if I'll be able to quantitatively determine if it was successful or not. I just didn't do enough objective measurements. I may have to wait until I get back down to 10ish percent and do a visual assessment. I'd urge anyone doing this to measure, measure, measure, especially if you're an ADHDish, logical-oriented person like myself.

I'm also concerned that I may have been too conservative with my weight gain, and may have "over trained" a bit. I'm going to do one more meso, 4-6 weeks, then start a cut. I doubt I'll get back to single digit bf again, that wasn't easy, but I can definitely get to 10ish percent and be comfortable there. Then I'll see what visual evidence there is of my bulk.

I will say that I definitely look better dressed now, at around 15ish%, than I did at 8%. My "old guy" face is much less sunken in, and a friend took a pic of me axe throwing, from the back, and it looked pretty damned good. lol. Now I'll be going back to the "do you even lift bro" phase.

h4twd9jbbzly.png
  • steveko89
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I'm just about done with my "bulk". I'm not sure if I'll be able to quantitatively determine if it was successful or not. I just didn't do enough objective measurements. I may have to wait until I get back down to 10ish percent and do a visual assessment. I'd urge anyone doing this to measure, measure, measure, especially if you're an ADHDish, logical-oriented person like myself.

I'm also concerned that I may have been too conservative with my weight gain, and may have "over trained" a bit. I'm going to do one more meso, 4-6 weeks, then start a cut. I doubt I'll get back to single digit bf again, that wasn't easy, but I can definitely get to 10ish percent and be comfortable there. Then I'll see what visual evidence there is of my bulk.

I will say that I definitely look better dressed now, at around 15ish%, than I did at 8%. My "old guy" face is much less sunken in, and a friend took a pic of me axe throwing, from the back, and it looked pretty damned good. lol. Now I'll be going back to the "do you even lift bro" phase.

h4twd9jbbzly.png

Nice work @garyruns, glad to hear you're well. Based on my 20 week bulk in 2020 and 8 week in 2021 I'm planning on 12-16 weeks for the next one depending on how lean I can actually get.