WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Heather I do the same with my art, music, and walks. On my walks at one of our vineyards, I have been known to suddenly be transported to Bourdeaux and greet folks I meet with, "bonjour." Bourdeaux is on the 45th parallel as are some of the vineyards a bit south of me. You don't have to twist my arm to get me to join a handsome French gentleman and assist him in emptying a bottle of estate rose of cabernet sauvignon while nibbling on Oregon various cheeses and fresh local spicy pita bread.

I also visit Spain every morning and get drawn into a juerga where churro dipped in chocolate along with egg asparagus jamon tapa are consumed while I dazzle all with my Spanish guitar virtuoso. I frequent Setenil de las Bodegas where I sit on the balcony of my cave room and entertain the tourist.

I was unable to fly, boat, or travel far by auto, long before the viral pandemic. The pandemic actually had little impact on me other than the inconvenience of shopping and all the anti-social behavior.

Fae returning back to reality to get ready for her semi-annual glaucoma test

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Rebecca- Love the photos of Athena and her mom & dad. :bigsmile:

Barbara- I loved Roy Rogers and Trigger, too. When I was a child my Auntie took me to see Roy and Trigger in the Portland Rose Parade. :heart: When Trigger passed away, Roy had Trigger stuffed. Later, after Roy passed away, his family sold Trigger to the owner of RFD-TV. RFD-TV still has Trigger and takes good care of him. :star:

Heather- CoVID cases in Oregon have increased. There were 7 new cases reported in the county where we live, and more new cases in many other counties. :sad: Oregonians have been encouraged to avoid trick or treat. I have a moderate stock of candy for trick or treaters in our neighborhood. I may wind up having it all in my freezer. I’ve been considering doing a bit of reverse trick or treating—going door to door in my neighborhood and leaving candy at each one. I’m not sure whether I’ll follow through on that notion. :ohwell:

I am looking forward to election day and hope my preferred candidates win.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Allie- You are a caring soul and marvelous with seniors. I remember how good you were to Tom's dad and also your own. Faith is a recent example of your caring. I wonder whether working with seniors in a care facility is a good career path for you. :flowerforyou:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited October 2020
    I've just returned refreshed from a walk in the autumn sunshine with DH. We are about 5 minutes walk from a lovely country road.

Barbara:
    I remember Watching Roy Rogers and Trigger at the Saturday matinees when I was a child. My older brother used to take me there. You could get into the childrens' matinee with 2 clean jam jars. All glass was returnable in those days, and was worth money.

🕊 Pax vobiscum 🕊
    ☘️ Terri
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    I burned 327.43 calories while waiting for my glaucoma test. Let me explain!

I always go early to have time to enjoy a 16oz cup of personal pick individual brew coffee. I missed my turn as I usually walk the 5 miles but due to the cold temperature, I drove myself. Being just a few minutes early, I inserted the individual container of coffee in the machine and selected the 4 oz size. They came out to tell me they were about ready, so I drank the 4 oz high caffeine harsh brew as fast as possible. I had just finished it when they came out to say one of the machines wasn't waking up correctly. There I sat all hyped up on caffeine and swinging my leg wildly. It was a good 10 minutes and I was exhausted before they called me in.

Fae eating extra pancakes (breakfast #3) to regain lost calories
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    No CPR class today. It was canceled. Roads icy and people here are not familiar with driving in this stuff.

Got paperwork done yesterday and started another alien hat for gifts. This along with baking some Keto pumpkin muffins that came out awesome! Hard to do much else with DH home in this small space. I think I’ll dress warm and do some walking. DH is testy today, bored and just grumpy.

Pics of what it looks like out my camper door this morning. Snows only 1 or 2 times a year the last 2 years I’ve been in NM. This is very unusual!

RV Rita
    jjwkw1erd2pl.jpeg
    nfc9po9ivv7e.jpeg
    d0nyhm5gv9f5.jpeg
  • Katla49
    edited October 2020
    Terri- Oregon passed a bottle bill years ago, along with some other states and BC Canada. This bill promotes recycling. You pay a tax on canned or bottled beverages at the time of purchase. You can redeem the empty cans for the value of the tax. The tax we pay now in Oregon is 10 cents for each beverage can or bottle. The cans & bottles are recycled, keeping it out of landfills. We donate our cans & bottles to service organizations. Some of ours go to the local food bank & the others go to a group that improves county parks. o:)

Rebecca- Love the photos of Athena and her mom & dad. :bigsmile:

Barbara- I loved Roy Rogers and Trigger, too. When I was a child my Auntie took me to see Roy and Trigger in the Portland Rose Parade. :heart: When Trigger passed away, Roy had Trigger stuffed. Later, after Roy passed away, his family sold Trigger to the owner of RFD-TV. RFD-TV still has him. :star:

Heather: CoVID cases in Oregon have increased. There were 7 new cases reported in the county where we live, and more new cases in many other counties. :sad: Oregonians have been encouraged to avoid trick or treat. I have a moderate stock of candy for trick or treaters in our neighborhood. I may wind up having it all in my freezer. I’ve been considering doing a bit of reverse trick or treating—going door to door in my neighborhood and leaving candy at each one. I’m not sure whether I’ll follow through on that notion. :ohwell:

I am looking forward to election day and hope my preferred candidates win.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    edited October 2020
    BC Canada had a similar bill and I recently read they have expanded it. 🌹
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Fae - I wish you could join us for our 16th wedding anniversary fest in November.We will be having a super tapas of Jamon Iberico, Pulpo a la Gallega, and I will sneak in a Russian Blinis with caviar (mock) and sour cream. Love me a nibble. :p
    Haven't decided on the main course yet, but it could be Dover Sole, or Raie au Beurre Noire. We are very fishy.
    That is a tour of Spain, Russia, England and France. :D Oh the joy!
    Haven't decided on a dessert yet. DH loves Panna Cotta, but is only delighted by it in Italy, or when I make it. In the UK it is usually too sweet. In Umbria the sugar barely touches it. My recipe uses yoghurt. A raspberry coulis gives it a flare.

Heather UK adrift in Europe, xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Rita Not sure what part you are in, but it looks like central NM. The northern part where I spent most of my time and travels was always cold and snowy winters. Beautiful for the most part, but icy roads left no time for enjoying the scenery. Take care not to slip and fall while walking. Sorry to hear the DH is grumpy.
  • cityjaneLondon
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-alcohol-free-drinks-advent-discovery-box-60046014

My son's hard work to market AF drinks while everything is shut down due to covid. He is working soooo hard. Love him. o:)
    We have arranged a Zoom with the grandchildren on Friday. The other grandparents are visiting them tomorrow . They have decided not to isolate. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    edited October 2020
    Heather what a creative idea for advent - They should be working on a Lent promo lots of folks give up Alcohol for Lent, maybe January diets try a different AF drink each weekend evening paired with a recipe from the Hairy Bikers So a box of 3 choices (Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night) and 3 recipes and then Hairy Bikers could help advertise too!
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Heather I wish I could too! Iberian Jamon is prohibitive to get here because of shipping. Here is a video you might enjoy with history from an old friend. How the Gitano incorporates food and music is magical to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bytRwg5VlZo

Abrazos, Fae
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Fae Exactly what I'm talking about! I am transported. :D I am so sorry you can't travel. Is Mexico a possibility?
    We were in the South of France a few years ago and I heard a voice from a tiny stage in the back streets. We were sitting round the corner, but I knew it immediately. When we went to look it was Nicholas Reyes from the Gypsy Kings. I had to check as I couldn't believe it. I know it is a bastardized version, but it was the sound track to my 30s. What a voice!
    Tonight I was in Poland or Germany, with my smoked sausage,sauerkraut, bacon and cabbage. Wholegrain mustard. Oh the travels of the mind!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
  • Faetta
    Heather & Barbara & all of you ladies of free spirit
    Here is one you might enjoy. Manuel was a friend that died of cancer a few years ago. He was a great poet that made me do some deep thinking and see appreciation for life even in times of extreme stress. I started writing spontaneous flamenco letra with his inspiration. I don't know Spanish very well or sing, but I learned to use my homestyle flamenco as an outlet to express my emotions in a healthy way.
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Fae Exactly what I'm talking about! I am transported. :D I am so sorry you can't travel. Is Mexico a possibility?
    We were in the South of France a few years ago and I heard a voice from a tiny stage in the back streets. We were sitting round the corner, but I knew it immediately. When we went to look it was Nicholas Reyes from the Gypsy Kings. I had to check as I couldn't believe it. I know it is a bastardized version, but it was the sound track to my 30s. What a voice!
    Tonight I was in Poland or Germany, with my smoked sausage,sauerkraut, bacon and cabbage. Wholegrain mustard. Oh the travels of the mind!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

No, too many elevation changes getting there. I can't ride more than 200 miles in an auto before I have to take a break. I have been to many places in Mexico in the past and have no desire to return. My area has a lot of Latinos and Mexican culture is very common here. We have numerous authentic Mexican restaurants and food trucks. I go out for Chili Rellenos once a week. I picked them up during the shutdown. A long time friend cooks there. His wine, olive oil, and garlic sauteed Tilapia filet is unbelievable. Also, I cannot sleep without my adjustable bed. Yes, Nicholas, son of Jose that teamed up with his cousin Tonino Baliardo aka Manitas de Plata. French Gypsies that developed their own style of flamenco. Manitas was solo for many years (made several LP's) and an amazing guitarist. He was never appreciated as he should have been because he used a 14 count compas (rhythm) that was different than the Spanish flamenco that uses 12.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member