WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, unearthed voter pamphlet from the piles of paper,
    Bonus: guest bath, donated mattress, box springs and bedding, paid credit card bill, sock origami, 2 loads laundry, phone and email exchange re: firehouse abn registration update.
    Get to do: veg prep, firehouse best practices survey, submit grant pics and receipts, study voter pamphlet, vote, recycling, post office, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Wednesday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D, vote, firehall for postings and minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    27: Be kind to yourself today, remember progress takes time: so I’ll forgive myself for squandering time on sock origami instead of sorting/purging today.

Joe’s pressure is still too high, so the surgeon has given him some “exercises” to do (gently pressing on the eye for 10 mins 3 times per day-but would he use a warm or cold compress or Fae’s buckwheat pillow? :noway: ) Next followup at the end of November. I was so looking forward to returning to some indoor activities (church, T’ai Chi, line dancing) that I am disappointed, but determined to wait it out. Probably for the best, feel the second wave is coming.

Fae good wishes for your semi annual test results. The Gitano music you shared gave me chills, and reminded me of some kletzmer. How could the Romani and the Jews be unrelated?
    Terri loved the “clean jam jars” story. Wish plastic packaging had never become popular.
    Heather just emailed Holland and Barton to ask if they have a US distributor. Still looking for a US source of AF wines that don’t taste bad. ;P
    Annie I’m with Tina. When in doubt, throw it out. If mom complains, offer to buy her a fresh pack. Cheaper than a trip to the ER. This link says 7 days opened in fridge: https://stilltasty.com/Fooditems/index/17420
    Machka “Travel books” hahaha!
    Beth “craft-challenged” here too. :love: the “still finding glitter…”
    Tracey hope your migraine abates quickly.
    Sending comforting, strengthening thoughts to Rori who has been much in my thoughts lately.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 27, weigh: 27, steps>5491=5574 vits=27 log=27 CI<CO=26 CI<250<CO=19 Tumble & Shadow 5=31 mfp=27 outside=26 up hill=25
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=17 play= sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Does anyone use a walking app on their phone? If you use a pedometer, what are some of the features you look for? Which one is the best?

I use Strava. :)

It's good for cycling, walking, running, and everything.

exermom wrote: »
    He said to me just now that he wanted to have dinner early so that he can go to Target. I hope that he wants to go for a tote to put the new Halloween inflatable that we have in. Maybe??????? Update: nope, he just wanted to look at their Christmas ornaments. Well, maybe he'll get more in the Christmas spirit

Michele NC

Why didn't you ask him? :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    My Son in Law works at a dairy and told me that best before dates are mandated and you usually have a few days past those dates before dairy turns bad. He refuses to throw out unless it looks or smells bad. I have started following his lead for some things.

I've had food poisoning too many times. I'm increasingly picky about my food and about not eating things past their due date.

Sorry about your headaches!

Tracey in Edmonton
    I’ll update with crafting pictures later.

• Machka9
    edited October 2020
    I might suggest that my son pays for an antibody test to see if he is immune. I would even pay for it. In retrospect he thinks they might have had it back in April.
    ;):*:/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Unfortunately his immunity may be gone by now. But the immune time period estimates vary so perhaps he's one of the fortunate ones who has immunity for up to 7 months.

"A new longitudinal study has found coronavirus antibodies diminish rapidly within three months of peaking."
    https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/more-evidence-suggests-no-long-term-covid-19-immun

"Yet it’s still unknown what amount of neutralizing antibody is sufficient for protection. And even if they are protective, it’s unclear how long these immune proteins stick around. Studies of recovered COVID-19 patients have shown that antibodies for the coronavirus can wane after a SARS-CoV-2 infection, but overall, their levels remain relatively stable over a span of three to six months."
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-herd-immunity-immune-response-antibodies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    It's good to remind ourselves of this when we get upset about the little things. :)

deovm5cwf5dg.png

For me ...

Will the work (employment) I do now matter into the future? Yes. Finances and Experience.
    Uni? Yes. The degree could put me in a better place for future employment.
    Caring for my husband? Absolutely!
    Fitness? Yep!

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Barbara To fully answer your question of how the Romani and Jews are not related is a long study. Here is a very short version.
    Dr. Oan Hancock has a lot of published articles on this and you might find them interesting. The Romani were originally in the Northwest India desert and were Hindu and were driven out by the Muslims and that is the reason they migrated to so many European countries. They lived mobile until they found a place to settle, which is what gave them the reputation as travelers. Some remained mobile because they were unwelcome in other countries. Interesting that as an ethnic group the Romani do not have their own country and have never started a war. Many great people were Romani but never let it be known because of the stereotype of the gypsy. Note in this context gypsy isn't capitalized. As a people, Gypsy is capitalized. Gypsy is not a Halloween costume or a way of life, it is a people. When they migrated from India many thought they were Egyptians. The English speaking countries shortened Egyptian to Gypsy.

Most eye surgeons sell those specially made microwave heat pads special cut for the eyes. Could you have the doctor recommend to Joe that he use one? I don't get some men at all! Why would he push on his eye rather than use a soothing moist type head pad? I would be miserable without my daily eye heat padding. Joe has no idea how lucky he is to have you. The heat pad is a medical recommendation from my doctor. He wants me to use it twice a day for 10 minutes each time. It is also recommended for dry eyes. It gets the natural oils flowing that to tend to gel as we age. Maybe buy one for yourself and use it and Joe will decide to try it.

Fae still puzzled over aging male stubbornness
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Fae- Wow! Great info on the Romani people! I love learning about different cultures! Thank you!
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    KJ I love to learn about people and cultures also. Especially how women were the backbone and foundation and the glue that kept the pieces together. Some cultures without the strength and sacrifice of women would be extinct. The mothers that gave their lives to get their children to safety.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Tracey - so sorry about your migraines. Hope you can find some relief. <3

Heather in the WINDY UK XXXXXXXX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    :heart:
  • Faetta
    Kathryn Been there more than once hun, but luckily I was able to put myself out of it. You are among women that care here. We may not always say the things you were hoping to hear, but we care. I can't tell you what to do, all I can say is what I did as will others here. We are sharing our stories and hope to read more of yours. Why do you feel like giving up? Making your first post here is a great step. This group is more diverse than any women's group I know. So spill it-girl, tell us all, and let's get you motivated.

Fae in PNW USA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,031 Member
    Kat🌺 We have all gone through those hard times. But you have taken a positive step by reaching out.

Every one finds their own way. I did it by setting one goal to start with, just for today, then renewed it each day for about a week.

I would add a new goal, and kept repeating that. It’s okay if you miss your goal on one day.

The beauty is that you get a do over every single day.

☘️ Terri
  • Faetta
    Kat🌺 We have all gone through those hard times. But you have taken a positive step by reaching out.

Every one finds their own way. I did it by setting one goal to start with, just for today, then renewed it each day for about a week.

I would add a new goal, and kept repeating that. It’s okay if you miss your goal on one day.

The beauty is that you get a do over every single day.

☘️ Terri

Well said!
  • Machka9
    Nice day ... explored cute shops and brought home several things, lunch at a raspberry farm, lots of walking, and then a little bit of cycling. :)

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Nice day ... explored cute shops and brought home several things, lunch at a raspberry farm, lots of walking, and then a little bit of cycling. :)

M in Oz

That sounds like an ideal day to me! Lunches at farm bistros are my favorite.