WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I spoke to insurance broker hopefully she can reinstate my old insurance..
    Here is hoping...
    Going for my hair done today...whooo hoooo
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    [quote="exermom;c-45449924"

Fae – the start of this pandemic I thought I’d go out of my mind. Before this I was always the person on the go, being with people. To have to suddenly stop was a big change for me. But I’ve sort-of gotten used to it now. But at first? No way! Now it didn’t really bother Vince at all, he was always the homebody

Michele NC
    [/quote]

First time I saw your photo I had you pegged as the friendly energetic gal about town that loved being around people. So glad you are adjusting to home life. As we age especially in these times finding peace at home is a great thing. I do miss socializing up close, but at least I can walk unmasked and wave at people across the street. Great you can do your bowling. Do you do a women's league?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Using art to contact my inner warrioress since there are no more phone booths.
    d0i44k3as8ja.jpgpfhpbza1fqci.jpg

Fae lost in fantasy land but slowly donning work clothes and returning to reality
    The sun is shining, a nice day, and I am on the move, slowly but surely
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri- Our state has had vote by mail since 1981. Ballots are counted when the polls close on election day. :star: All 50 states follow their own laws regarding elections protocol. In our state we have both ballot drop boxes and vote by mail options. I suspect this is true in other states as well. Because of the pandemic, it seems probable that a significant percentage of votes will be sent to the county elections location via the post office. The closest drop box to our home is half a block away at the County Courthouse. :star:

Michele- I don’t know how long it will take 50 states to count all of their ballots. We have a number of different time zones. Alaska and Hawaii are likely to have their polls close long after Oregon, Washington and California have closed their polls. In Oregon we have had vote by mail options for everyone for a long time. I suspect that this year, many states will have vote by mail options because of the CoVid 19 pandemic. Election night will be exciting, but the final ballot count will take time. Just my humble opinion. :ohwell:

Barbara- We have a buckwheat bag that we often use for muscle strains. We pop it into the microwave for those occasions. We use an ice bag for sore eyes or headaches. :flowerforyou:

Kathryn from New Brunswick, CAN- Welcome! You have found an amazing group of supportive women. Stop by often. :bigsmile:

We are having a quiet morning at home. We have a light fog and the temperature is 44 Fahrenheit.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    (((Rori)))be kind to yourself. Tough road.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    Rori my heart goes out to you.....

Voting I voted by mail for the first time this year. I like that much better, gives you time to research and make better choices I don’t pay attention to all the ads if I did, I wouldn’t vote for anyone! If you believe them, everyone is lying and corrupt!

Crafts I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler! Comes out on an angle! But.... I can sew, knit, crochet, convert recipes to fit KETO or whatever diet I want, photography, run a webpage, maintain 3 Facebook pages, fix computers, and other tech. However, I don’t feel like I do any of them good. Never did have a lot of confidence in myself.

CoVid isolation has not been a problem for me. I am very much a loner and introvert. I have also gotten super paranoid about touching doors, pens, credit card machines, shopping carts, and anything I feel like has been touched a lot.

RV Rita
  • Faetta
    Options
    Rori Your dedication and selflessness far exceed any other attribute. I have cared for dementia and cancer relatives for a short time. It was exhausting both physically and mentally. Please take care and find something to do special for yourself every day. Hugs, Fae
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Rori and Family)))
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Had Hairy Bikers cassoulet for tea (dinner) yummy
    Weather awful rain and wind. Doom and gloom on the news

RORI hugs, don’t know how you cope. Try to give yourself a little time just for you

Kate UK ❤️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Rori)))- It is so good to see your post. I think of you often. I am sorry to hear the medical news for your brother, Greg. He is in a difficult situation & so lucky to be able to stay with you rather than strangers at this time his life. He is not alone. That is an amazing and generous gift from you. :heart: You have a tremendous burden and handle it with grace. It is good that you have the Alzheimer’s Spouse Care Giver Forum. I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

RV Rita- DH bought a box of one size fits all vinyl gloves at Walgreens in the past. They are so useful, and we both use them for occasions when working with our hands is messy or germy. The box contains many gloves. I hope you can find something similar. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Did Denise Austin’s Quick Burn Carb DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michaels Arms and Back DVD

Tracey
    – I never thought of them needing their own room. Makes sense, Jess has her schooling and Colby has his work. I’m thinking that she’s probably doing her classes in the living room which leaves the bedroom for Colby to work from. Thanks for bringing this up to me

Debbie
    – no matter how I try, I can never get my fudge to be like the kind you get in a store. What do you put in yours? I just thought of something. I know I made some and put marshmallows in it for body. The thing I didn’t like was that you would see some specks of the white marshmallows. Now I’ve seen chocolate marshmallows so maybe I should try making the fudge using chocolate marshmallows.

Flea – one thing you have to say about Trump, he certainly got the people out voting!

Barbara – sure hope those exercises help Joe. I, too, was ready to return to church…and then I saw an article about how this one church is closed because there were so many cases attributed to that church.

Right now Vince is decorating the cat tree. So he IS getting more into it, I happy for him.

Kathryn – welcome!

Fae
    – one of the things I like about working at Food Lion is the fact that I’m with people. As far as the bowling – we’re on two leagues. One is a senior league which meets every Monday. It isn’t sanctioned, I personally go more for the fun and to be with people. Don’t ask me my average, or handicap (I only know it’s high), I don’t know. And, honestly, I’m not really concerned. Now Vince is the very competitive person. Then we are on another league with the Newcomers and we only bowl once every other week. Vince is in charge of it. It really is more for fun. You have such a way with words! Love reading your posts

Carol
    – I agree with you about those ads. Wouldn’t it be nice if somehow they would know that you voted and didn’t call you with the political ads??? But I know not gonna happen in this lifetime.

Rori – thanks for popping in. All of us have been thinking of you. (((HUGS))) I’m so glad you have Mary. Please take care of yourself

Made chocolate bran muffins. It's supposed to rain hard tomorrow, we're supposed to be getting the remnants of the hurricane. Oh joy...I get to get the carts at work tomorrow. Not that I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, the Green Room called yesterday. They're selling only 100 tickets for each show. It'll be live. See, the auditorium is so large (seats something like 300) that we can sit far apart. They said they only called a few of the "regulars". So next week I'm going to go on Wednesday late in the afternoon (3-5:30) and in the afternoon on Friday to see which day works best for me. Honestly, I think the Friday in mid-afternoon (12:30-3) will work out best. We have Newcomer bowling at 6:30 (we usually get there around 6) and if I don't get out of the Green Room until 5:30, that's cutting it REALLY short. They said they didn't mind if I came like 15 - 20 minutes late since I'm at the soup kitchen which is about 2 blocks away. They start serving at 11:15 and I usually get done around 12:45. Maybe I just won't clean up that much.

Newcomer bowling tonight. Think I’ll go work on the jigsaw puzzle some.

Michele NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    Using art to contact my inner warrioress since there are no more phone booths.

d0i44k3as8ja.jpgpfhpbza1fqci.jpg

Fae lost in fantasy land but slowly donning work clothes and returning to reality
    The sun is shining, a nice day, and I am on the move, slowly but surely

>>>

This is brilliant.

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Rori - many, many hugs <3. Mary is a true blessing in every sense of the word.

You have been a blessing to so many as well. Sending loads of energy and peace your way from the Pacific Northwest. <3

Lanette B)
    Sunny and warm SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Rori - all I can do is send you hugs. <3<3<3 Thank goodness for Mary!!! You are walking a path I could not walk, even if I tried. Love you .

I've got three telephone chats lined up now with two nurses and a doctor. :o One a routine thing, one to chat about general blood test results and the doc one to chat about lowish iron and calcium. Feeling slightly worried, but will wait to hear what they say in November. 3rd, 10th and 11th. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Kathryn - Welcome, what part of NB, I am from Hartland/Woodstock area originally. Live in Alberta now.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Denise Austin’s Quick Burn Carb DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michaels Arms and Back DVD

Debbie
    – no matter how I try, I can never get my fudge to be like the kind you get in a store. What do you put in yours? I just thought of something. I know I made some and put marshmallows in it for body. The thing I didn’t like was that you would see some specks of the white marshmallows. Now I’ve seen chocolate marshmallows so maybe I should try making the fudge using chocolate marshmallows.

[
    Michele NC

The fudge basic recipe is super simple. One bag of choc. chips(dark/semi/milk/white- your choice), one can of sweetened condensed milk and one table spoon of butter or one teaspoon of coconut oil. Melt choc. chips, stir in other two items then what ever combination you want- here are some of our's(trying to remember all of them)
    Rocky Road- marshmallows and walnuts
    Almond Joy- dried coconut and almonds
    Mounds- dried coconut
    Pina Colada- white choc. w/ dried coconut and dried pineapple
    dried blueberries and pecans
    dried cranberries and pistachio
    walnut
    dried strawberries and dried kiwi in white choc.
    peanut butter
    coconut and macadamia nuts

I got a great deal on the dried coconut, not the sweetened one, that is crisp and not as sweet so works great.
    We also make turtles w/ caramels/pecan/pretzel/choc.
    peanut clusters
    mixed nut clusters or other individual nuts
    I have a huge box of choc. molds that I need to pull out and use to add more variety to the boxes, although, I have not had any complaints on the boxes so far.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA