You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Height-ism?

1789101113»

Replies

• Ddsb11Ddsb11 Member Posts: 556 Member Member Posts: 556 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I would much rather post on my profile that I am freaking tall, and show pics that reveal that I am not big busted, like to lift, have visible muscles, and wrinkles and scars... And if they don't like it, they can swipe off... than have someone meet me under false pretenses and hurt me like that.. Yet again.

And this is why we're friends <3

It just occurred to me that I think you can specify selection criteria on dating sites to narrow your search. So a guy who is 6' tall can search women's profiles with a max height of say 5'8". Of course women could search male profiles with a minimum height of 6' or whatever. And everybody could be missing out on their potential perfect partner just by sorting for superficial criteria.

I know someone who used to work for Match.com (I think - it was one of those anyway) and she told me their algorithm automatically adjusts for height. It wouldn't match a woman with a shorter man or vice versa, there was some minimum height difference it used I can't remember what it was.

I can well believe it. Long ago I remember hearing that eHarmony would not give a woman any matches for younger men, but would happily provide matches for men up to 10 - 15 years older. I'm guessing the reverse was true for men.

WTH!!! Wow. That makes me so upset, especially because my husband is younger, aside from the fact that it’s blatantly sexist! I believe now women and men get to pick their preferred age range online.
    edited February 7
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 418 Member Member Posts: 418 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I would much rather post on my profile that I am freaking tall, and show pics that reveal that I am not big busted, like to lift, have visible muscles, and wrinkles and scars... And if they don't like it, they can swipe off... than have someone meet me under false pretenses and hurt me like that.. Yet again.

And this is why we're friends <3

It just occurred to me that I think you can specify selection criteria on dating sites to narrow your search. So a guy who is 6' tall can search women's profiles with a max height of say 5'8". Of course women could search male profiles with a minimum height of 6' or whatever. And everybody could be missing out on their potential perfect partner just by sorting for superficial criteria.

I know someone who used to work for Match.com (I think - it was one of those anyway) and she told me their algorithm automatically adjusts for height. It wouldn't match a woman with a shorter man or vice versa, there was some minimum height difference it used I can't remember what it was.

I can well believe it. Long ago I remember hearing that eHarmony would not give a woman any matches for younger men, but would happily provide matches for men up to 10 - 15 years older. I'm guessing the reverse was true for men.

Maybe it even was eHarmony. It was one of those ones that you pay for anyway. Keeping those sexist tropes alive!
  • MarziPanda95MarziPanda95 Member Posts: 1,315 Member Member Posts: 1,315 Member
    I prefer my partners (both men and women) to be taller than me. It's just my preference. I wouldn't say absolutely no to someone who was the same height or shorter, though.

The reverse also happens. Lots of men won't date women taller than them. I'm a 5'7 woman, so above average but not super tall. In heels I'll be more like 5'10. I've met men who are 5'7-5'8 and refused to date me because they wanted a short woman who made them look taller. Hell, my first boyfriend was 6'6, and he said that he almost didn't want to date me because I was taller than his preference! Like what does 5'4 vs 5'7 matter to someone that tall?!