Calorie Counter

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How to deal with joint pain?

13»

Replies

• Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,405 Member Member Posts: 1,405 Member
    @MikePfirrman mentioned the ergonomics of the mouse. I would suggest doing a complete evaluation of your ergonomics as a long term IT guy the sitting at a screen 8-10 hours a day is probably doing more damage to your body than running a few times a week. I've had both thumb joints replaced, several shoulder operations and several crawling on the floor to the toilet issues of back pain that doctors have traced to my long time desk job.

If you'd like some resources look at Kelly Starett's books, Deskbound and Ready to Run. Also the Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet are 2 PTs with close to 60 years experience between them. They post a video daily addressing various issues. Here is a sample video where they are discussing Golfer's Elbow. They tend to cater to general audience:

Jeff Cavalier (AthleanX) mentioned above is also a well respected DPT and trainer with a lot of good free videos. He caters more to the more active audience:

I really like the sources I listed. However, they aren't a replacement for an actual exam by a medical professional. They can give you some great ideas and education so you can have an informed conversation with your doctor.

Best of luck.
    edited November 6
  • JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Member, Premium Posts: 2,493 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,493 Member
    I have had great success with cross training.

I love spinning as a way to work out the soreness of running while building strength. Most years, I also swim, but I'm scared of the pool these days.
  • annliz23annliz23 Member Posts: 1,066 Member Member Posts: 1,066 Member
    I think possibly rest to start with then slowly start to build strength using weights but take it steady and listen to your body. I strap up my elbows and knees when I exercise to help I also take turmeric and glucosamine and chondroitin as I find it works for joint pain(hubby was told to take it for his rheumatoid arthritis).
    I also have a foam roller which i use to help with pain and do leg stretches daily to help. When my knees went last year it took 2 months to get them better so I think you have to be patient unfortunately. Good luck
  • JessBbodyJessBbody Member Posts: 402 Member Member Posts: 402 Member
    Reviving this thread because I have a question and I hope someone can answer it. Didn't want to start a new thread.

Right now I have a mild - moderate stabbing pain in my left hip, or it may be the hip flexor, I'm not sure. It's in the front and it happens when I'm standing.

I didn't work out yesterday and can't tomorrow. I wanted to get in a light walk at home workout tonight but not sure if I should give my hip a rest until Saturday or Sunday. Not sure what this pain could mean. I have been having intermittent pain in both hips lately.

I just took a Motrin. Do you suggest I rest or do the workout if I can work through it. Thank you.
  • naturegirldebbienaturegirldebbie Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    JessBbody wrote: »
    Reviving this thread because I have a question and I hope someone can answer it. Didn't want to start a new thread.

Right now I have a mild - moderate stabbing pain in my left hip, or it may be the hip flexor, I'm not sure. It's in the front and it happens when I'm standing.

I didn't work out yesterday and can't tomorrow. I wanted to get in a light walk at home workout tonight but not sure if I should give my hip a rest until Saturday or Sunday. Not sure what this pain could mean. I have been having intermittent pain in both hips lately.

I just took a Motrin. Do you suggest I rest or do the workout if I can work through it. Thank you.
    Mine get so bad I cannot get out of bed for days, let alone walk or work out. I recently found doing clamshells, especially doing the part where you bring down your lifted knee together with the flat one REALLY slowly nearly totally stops the pain. Sometimes I add weights to the side of knee coming down.
  • LGS_RFSLGS_RFS Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member Member, Premium Posts: 27 Member
    Take a little rest then try out hip abductor and adductor exercises and stretches. Those should help with mobility, hip and lower back pain.

edited November 20
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 2,108 Member Member Posts: 2,108 Member
    Like @Theoldguy1, these guys are great. I'd have it looked at if it doesn't stop after taking a bit of a break.

• melaniedscottmelaniedscott Member Posts: 516 Member Member Posts: 516 Member
    I take glucosamine and collagen...but that's for a connective tissue disorder...don't run...

Have you tried cycling?
  • B_Plus_EffortB_Plus_Effort Member Posts: 259 Member Member Posts: 259 Member

Hey Jess that sucks, you do not mention your age and I know in the States asking a ladies age is not the thing to do, but maybe you can tell us what decade you are in ha ha. I ask because at 48 I do not recover in days like I did in my 20s or in weeks like I did in my 30s, now it's honestly all about months of rest, it sucks big time I know especially for those of us who like to stay busy.

One thing you could try after some rest is to walk or jog on a treadmill instead of on pavement because a treadmill well a good one at least will give a bit, they are spring loaded so your body does not take the same kind of pounding as it would on the blacktop for example.

Also a hip is serious so please see a doctor just to be sure, if it is really bad ask for some sort of a scan, sorry I am clueless as to which MRI maybe or is it a CAT scan?!
    edited November 20
  • J72FITJ72FIT Member Posts: 5,658 Member Member Posts: 5,658 Member
    Variety helps me with joint pain. As does reduction in overall volume...
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,405 Member Member Posts: 1,405 Member

Do you sit alot? Sitting puts the hip flexors in a shortened position tightning the muscles. Also, do you sleep on your side with the knees up in a fetal position? In addition to sitting ths position is alos shortens the hip flexors for an extended period of time.

Check some most famous physical therapists on the internet videos on sleep positions.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,073 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,073 Member

With a stabbing pain, I'd be concerned that it's more likely to be injury than simple overuse/inflammation. If it were me, I'd rest it, use cold or heat depending on the stage you're at, try the mild stretching but stop if it aggravates it. If it doesn't go away in a few days, I think that advice to see a doctor is good. Some conditions get worse if we try to work through them, some get better. It's good to know which type you're dealing with, IMO.