What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Mass/cheapy made bread (I guess that goes for most baked products out there)

ESPECIALLY things like hamburger and hot dog buns that are dry and crusty!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Probably it's just me, but when think of "foods not worth the calories", I think of foods I actually do like, but eat less frequently or in smaller portions (maybe even nearly never) just because of the calorie cost.

I think of it as something I like okay or even pretty well, but when watching calories, it doesn't make the cut, even though back in the day I'd eat it without thinking.

A perfect example for me is (usually) fruit juice. I like fruit juice quite a bit, but only drink it rarely (usually when traveling and at a hotel or before a race, it's a thing of mine). The cals (and lack of filling-ness) isn't worth it for me, even though it's tasty -- and I can have the fruit, which I like just as much, for fewer cals and more satiety.

Another example is the bread on the table at a restaurant. Even with really good bread (not talking about the mediocre stuff), I don't eat it, since although it's tasty enough, I'm about to eat a delicious meal I get to choose that meets my preferences and the cals from the bread in that context just aren't worth it.

I often think of this as trade off stuff -- I like enough foods that some I like just fine just never seem to be ones I choose.

Pre covid, a lot of the sweets that would be on offer at the office would be in this category -- I might have thoughtlessly eaten something at one point, but when thinking about it, was it worth the cals (and not having the dessert I otherwise would have had later that specifically fit my own preferences or some other higher cal item I chose for myself)?--no. Or I used to get occasional Potbelly's (sandwich place) plus chips, and I don't get the chips now since they are okay, but not worth the cals given they don't add anything nutritionally that I need and I will be satisfied without them. If I feel a need for a salt fix in addition to the sandwich, a pickle is a better cal to salt ratio, and I find it at least as enjoyable.

All of this.

When I started looking at calories of all kinds of things I ate and *liked* well enough, but not *that* (insert calorie count) much. I don't 'forbid' myself any food, I'll have whatever it is I really like, but where I used to sort of mindlessly grab a pastry at the gas station convenience store on my way to wherever, I now just nope out. I like it okay but I don't like it 400 calories worth! I'll grab an apple for my grab and go 'I just need a thing to eat' snack on the way out the door instead and save the other 300 calories and eat something I either like a lot more or is a lot more filling!
  • jstevemfp
    jstevemfp Posts: 11 Member
    * anything dairy - too much GI issue
    * soda of any kind - too many empty calories, plus tea takes better
    * sugary candy, like Halloween candy - way too sweet and also has dairy
  • pancakerunner
    said before, but nutella...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Gas station pies. Mcdonalds apple pies are worth it in my opinion, but not these ones. My friends always rave about them. 4cy32f94kwkm.png
  • pancakerunner
    Gas station pies. Mcdonalds apple pies are worth it in my opinion, but not these ones. My friends always rave about them. 4cy32f94kwkm.png

Right? These suckers are like 500 calories
  • cstatdixon
    cstatdixon Posts: 11 Member
    Pecans. Way too many calories for a small amount.
  • pancakerunner
    cstatdixon wrote: »

zxno780x4zd6.png
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    cstatdixon wrote: »

zxno780x4zd6.png

makes me want to cry...I remember back in the day when I first purchased a scale and weighed out some walnuts. I really thought the scale wasn't working right...then I educated myself and cried...funny😆-not funny😥
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    This all looks about the same to me, and I still enjoy eating 1-2 servings of nuts/seeds/day. They are worth the cals to me.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This all looks about the same to me, and I still enjoy eating 1-2 servings of nuts/seeds/day. They are worth the cals to me.

When eaten with something like cheese or yogurt they are satiating
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I had an Oreo the other day. Not as good as I remembered
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

Maybe you didn't eat it the way you're supposed to? Twist it apart and lick the frosting first? Dunk it in milk? :)
    I haven't had an Oreo in years because if I bought a package nobody else would even know it's here. :/
  • pancakerunner
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

Maybe you didn't eat it the way you're supposed to? Twist it apart and lick the frosting first? Dunk it in milk? :)
    I haven't had an Oreo in years because if I bought a package nobody else would even know it's here. :/

on this note... golden oreos > regular
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    I'm not a big sweets person so I'd have to say for me cakes, cookies, candies, etc just aren't worth the calories. I'd much rather have something salty and crunchy.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2021
    I pretty much don't count anything out... But I was shocked at how many calories a chocolate bar has. Like... My fruit and nut bar from Cadbury... That's a whole meal worth of calories.

I tend to not eat the whole thing now and have gotten better at breaking of a few squares and then putting it out of sight.

I sees it. I eats it. 🤪
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,128 Member
    Those big cocoa bombs that are so popular this year......
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Sweets.

I have various well-meaning gifts of gummies and hard candy that I'm refusing to eat. It's just pure sugar.

I'll rejig my diary to fit in anything chocolatey, but I don't see the point of candy.
  • pancakerunner
    Sweets.

I have various well-meaning gifts of gummies and hard candy that I'm refusing to eat. It's just pure sugar.

I'll rejig my diary to fit in anything chocolatey, but I don't see the point of candy.

For me, sweets are pure nostalgia. Peach rings for example... I NEVER have them, but if I do it's when I want to taste my childhood haha