Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What is my baseline for the suggested calorie deficite?

robcharlton1945robcharlton1945 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
Your program suggested a 1500 calorie goal per day for me. I would like to know what deficit that represents. In other words, what is my recommended calorie intake to remain level?

Replies

• LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,291 Member Member Posts: 1,291 Member
    It recommended 1500 calories based on the stats you entered and the weight loss/gain you entered. So just check your settings? You can put your goal at maintenance if you want to know your maintenance calories (not counting intentional exercise, which is intended to be added separately).

In lbs: per 0.5lbs weight loss per week, MFP subtracts 250 calories from the daily calorie goal.
    In kg: per 0.25kg weight loss per week, MFP subtracts 275 calories from the daily calorie goal.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 30,533 Member Member Posts: 30,533 Member
    From "Help" at the top of every page:

How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • robcharlton1945robcharlton1945 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    Lietchi, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to use the calculation you provided to figure out what I'm looking for. The best suggestion appears to be setting my goal at maintenance and seeing what comes up. Then, setting it back to my actual goal. It seems to me that this program should show you your recommended calorie intake baseline somewhere. If I reset my goal then set it back, would I mess up all my reports up until now?
    edited October 20
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,291 Member Member Posts: 1,291 Member
    You could just tell me at what weight loss rate you are set, and I'll tell you what MFP thinks your maintenance is (not counting exercise). But looking at your original message again, I noticed that your calorie goal is 1500kcal, which is the lowest MFP will go for a man - your weight being too low to allow for the weight loss rate you selected means my calculations aren't usable for you.

Changing your goals doesn't mess up your reports by the way, it only has an effect on the day you changed the setting (and the subsequent days, if you don't switch back).
  • Go_DeskerciseGo_Deskercise Member Posts: 1,483 Member Member Posts: 1,483 Member
    Just going to put this here with some advice to make sure you are choosing a reasonable goal.
    Faster does not equal better

82h314p4cqi2.png
    Lietchi: thanks for the info. I may give the reset a try. The info isn't really critical to my program. More just curiosity. I don't have very much to lose. More like an adjustment to a slowly creeping upward trend (about 8-lbs) following a 30-lb weight loss about 2-years ago. Once I get it back to where I want it, I will want to maintain. That has actually been harder than losing it in the first place. Two years ago I was at 168 lbs. Got it down to 138. It has crept back up to 148. I think I'd like to land at about 140 or so. I'm 5'5" and in pretty good shape. 75 yrs.
    edited October 21
    Go_Deskercise: Thanks for the chart. Very interesting information. I am definitely onboard with losing weight slowly. Many advantages of doing that, including creating better eating habits.