Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

growing glutes.. how much protein?

jaslynxxjaslynxx Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
i just recently started working out 2 months ago at home. and now i’m trying to grow my glutes.. i know i need to eat more and eat a lot of protein but i’m confused because i don’t know exactly how much.. I started using weights last month for lower body work outs and to grow my glutes but haven’t seen much change.
I weigh 120lbs, i’m 4’11, and i’m 19 years old.
I don’t know how much calories or how much protein I should be eating.. any helpful tips?

Replies

• jaslynxxjaslynxx Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight or lean body mass of you know it.
    In terms of calories I'm assuming you are either trying to maintain or gain so you can set your calories to do that on the app. Make sure to eat back some or all of your exercise calories. Or you can use an outside calculator which includes exercise.

So basic around 120g of protein? that seems like so much and definitely not what i’m eating now.. feels like i’ve been wasting so much time. I literally only eat maybe around 30g of protein a day. thanks so much for the help/advice.
  • Retroguy2000Retroguy2000 Member Posts: 18 Member Member Posts: 18 Member
    Numerous articles will refer to protein numbers of 0.5g - 0.8g per pound for working out and looking to gain mass, with the higher number for athletes. Space out the protein to multiple times a day. At 120 pounds, you'd probably be good with about 70g protein, so at least double your current amount. For calories, don't run a large deficit, and definitely not on resistance workout days.
  • ecjimecjim Member Posts: 889 Member Member Posts: 889 Member
    I would say closer to 1 gm protein per lb of body weight.
    You also need to follow an intelligent weight training program . Look at Strong Lifts to get started. After 3-4 months go the Strong Curves by Bret Contreras , that will be more focused on glutes
  • coffee_n_weightscoffee_n_weights Member Posts: 72 Member Member Posts: 72 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The most important part of growing your glutes is getting on a plan targeting those muscles frequently enough. And while anything is better than nothing, a well structured plan like Strongcurves or anything from Bret Contreras would be ideal.

This ^^. I totally second anything from Bret Contreras. I've done a few of his programs and StrongCurves has an option for home workouts.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Member, Premium Posts: 8,755 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,755 Member
    jaslynxx wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight or lean body mass of you know it.
    In terms of calories I'm assuming you are either trying to maintain or gain so you can set your calories to do that on the app. Make sure to eat back some or all of your exercise calories. Or you can use an outside calculator which includes exercise.

So basic around 120g of protein? that seems like so much and definitely not what i’m eating now.. feels like i’ve been wasting so much time. I literally only eat maybe around 30g of protein a day. thanks so much for the help/advice.

It might cause a hardship if you try to drastically triple or quadruple your protein if you have been comfortable at 30g. Some, perhaps many or even most, find protein to be highly satiating so you may need to adjust so it doesn't cause you to eat too little.

The other idea may be to get a decent amount out of the way early. Mixing protein powder into some yogurt can get me ~50g in one small bowl at breakfast when I need it.
  • Retroguy2000Retroguy2000 Member Posts: 18 Member Member Posts: 18 Member
    It's better to space out your protein intake through 3-5 meals. A max of 25g-35g at a time is ideal for absorption.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Member, Premium Posts: 8,755 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,755 Member
    It's better to space out your protein intake through 3-5 meals. A max of 25g-35g at a time is ideal for absorption.

It is better to start at good enough and worry about the ideals later.
  • wiigelecwiigelec Member Posts: 355 Member Member Posts: 355 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The other idea may be to get a decent amount out of the way early. Mixing protein powder into some yogurt can get me ~50g in one small bowl at breakfast when I need it.

mix a scoop of whey in 8oz water and drink it in the morning.

mix a scoop of whey in 8oz of water and drink it in the afternoon.

problem solved.

edited November 2
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 8,672 Member Member Posts: 8,672 Member

Subjective to the context.

His suggestion is a baseline for "good enough" and promotes consuming balanced meals rather than chase a target number for the sake of thinking consuming 150g of protien is the same as 5 meals of 30g of protien.

He wasn't suggesting a hard rule, but a target which is reasonable and a good goal to start with.