November 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,935 Member
    @kgirlhart That's not my favorite running weather either. Congrats on getting it done and making your goal for the month.

@katharmonic Looking forward to the hiking post. Glad you didn't have to run in your boots.

Congratulations on your highest mileage for a month @martaindale ! That's awesome.

@marisap2010 Great job on 3rd place in the Clue game. That sounds like fun.

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Oh One More Thing:

I can't remember what I did last year that worked - I wasn't running at 4am so never had to deal with 20 degrees F.

Tomorrow is 27F at 4AM.

Indiana is going to be quite cold as well, in winter.

Recommendations for jackets, layers, etc? I think I have enough stuff to layer but do I need like a specific running jacket or will a thin pullover be enough?

Do I really need gloves? i hated gloves last year because my hands were hot and I couldn't use them.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,697 Member
    edited November 2020
    11/3 – 5.03 miles
    11/4 – 4.08 miles
    11/5 – 4.06 miles
    11/7 – 6.25 miles – Roan Mountain 10K
    11/8 – 4.60 miles
    11/9 – 5.07 miles
    11/11 – 6.22 miles – Ekiden challenge
    11/12 – 5.08 miles
    11/14 – 12.05 miles
    11/16 – 5.32 miles
    11/18 – 5.39 miles
    11/20 – 5.19 miles
    11/21 – 3.14 miles – YWCA Turkey Trot - Virtual
    11/21 - 8.96 miles
    11/23 – 4.01 miles
    11/24 – 5.31 miles
    11/26 – 6.30 miles
    11/27 – 5.20 miles
    11/28 – 10.18 miles
    11/29 – 5.17 miles
    11/30 – 4.02 miles
    120.60 of 120 miles

Goal reached! I was definitely challenged to reach my mileage goal this month but I’m the type that if I say I’m going to do it then if I can find a way, I will do it. Today made my 5th day in a row running. I know that’s normal for many of you but not for me. However, since I’ve been running every day since Thanksgiving I’m considering doing the annual Runner’s World streak…. This morning it was 46F (42F feel like) and drizzling rain. It was also dark and foggy. Although I had my waist light and a light on the bill of my cap it didn’t make much of an impression. For a moment I thought I must have forgotten to put my contact lense in – lol. I didn’t run into anything or trip so all is well.

@mbaker566 – It annoys me when bikers don’t announce themselves when passing too. I tend to be a bit of a smart mouth sometimes. A couple of months ago when running on a trail and one group of bikers didn’t announce themselves when passing, I mouthed off something like – thanks for calling out…. A little while down the trail we came upon the group that had stopped to take in scenery. As we approached, one thing was evident, I was the inconsiderate one. The bicyclists were using sign language to communicate with each other.

@tramboman – Our weather is changing today/tonight too. I also fear I will have to use the dreadmill this week.

Oh @Camaramandy I am so very sorry that people who committed to help with your run have let you down. (See @polskagirl01’s posts above about dressing for running cold weather – lots of good info).
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    11/1 – 5 miles
    11/2 – 10K Monday
    11/3 – 3 miles with Champ
    11/4 – rest day
    11/5 – 10K
    11/6 – 1.6 miles
    11/7 – 9.25 Cathedral Caverns 15K trail race
    11/8 – 4 miles – with Champ light recovery
    11/9 – 3 miles – more recovery quads are screaming
    11/10 – 5 miles
    11/11 – 7 miles
    11/12 – 3 miles with Champ
    11/13 – 7 miles
    11/14 – 2 miles
    11/15 – 6 miles
    11/16 – 10K Monday
    11/17 – 3 miles
    11/18 – 6 miles
    11/19 – 3 miles of sniff and run with Champ
    11/20 – 8 5 with Skip 3 alone
    11/21 – 0 worked at National XC meet all day
    11/22 – 10K with Skip
    11/23 – 8 miles
    11/24 – 0 travel day
    11/25 – 5 miles with the family (my 4 year old cousin ran a mile with me)
    11/26 – 6
    11/27 – 0 tree shopping
    11/28 – 6 with Skip
    11/29 – 0 travel day
    11/30 – 10K Monday

130 (134.63) of 120 miles

Hi all. I was away for Thanksgiving and never logged in MFP to read the thread, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I’m skimming through and trying to catch up, I’m only behind 99 posts.

I did my running for the most part while in Ohio, whoever said the Midwest was flat does not live in Mentor ha ha. My cousin sent out me with a course to run and when I got back I said I thought you like me LOL, but it was a lot of fun to run somewhere knew. One place I could see Lake Erie, it was so nice. I gotta tell you my cousin's 4 year old grandson wanted to run with Skip and I (well mostly Skip) so we took him. He ran most of a mile and of course had to race us. It was so much fun.

@mbaker566 Bob is amazing

Received my PastorVincent medal too when I returned, thank you.

@rheddmobile you are a beast in that picture

@HonuNui I don’t think you can beat that view on Thanksgiving day.

@eleanorhawkins it’s the little dogs that are feisty, what a mess good thing you had your heavy socks on – a German Shephard came running after me today, he was growling and carrying on got right to me and started to sniff, his poor owner came running and apologizing all over the place. She was with her young son doing something in the driveway. I was fine, he did start after me again when I started to run again and she was apologizing again. Ha ha

@WandaVaughn I’ll be praying for you on Wednesday

@Steph_135 I live in Alabama so like others not a lot of help, but we do have days when we drop to single digits F. Layers, layers, layers. Don’t dress too warm to start or you will get hot, sweat and freeze. Get a good base layer for top and bottom and go from there, wool socks. Again others in the cold climates can offer off specific brands that work best.

@Camaramandy648 sorry they bailed on you, I think that’s rude. I tend to start with gloves when it’s cold (mostly if it’s windy) and take them off after a couple of miles. It was 32F and windy and damp here today so I put on gloves and a headband. The headband was off at ½ mile and the gloves at 3 miles. I also wore capris and on top a lighter fleece full zip jacket with only a sports bra under it. I was warm in some places, but the wind was the North and West was freezing so I was glad to have the jacket through I was sweaty when I got home.

See you all in the December thread.

Races:
    138.6 of 250 miles Yuletide Madness
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August – done
    Chupacabra 10K/HM – August 22 - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020 - done
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec – done
    PinkPumpkin 10K – completed 10/30
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November – done
    Bridge Street HM Virtual – 10/24 – 11/7/2020 – virtual done
    Halloween 5K virtual with Fleet Feet – 10/31/2020 - done
    Yuletide Madness Oct 31 – Dec 31 2020
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – running virtual - done
    Cathedral Caverns 15K trail race – in person – done
    Virtual Turkey Trot 5K – done
    Downtown HSV Charity run 5K - done
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @skippygirlsmom @quilteryoyo @Teresa502 Thank you!

@quilteryoyo I can still stay with my brother. Just the kids can't go.

I wish we could change everything around, but it's set. We've already committed. I think what we're going to do is pin down some dates when I can bring the kids just for a visit so it isn't about running and they will still get to see their uncle and cousins etc.