WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Happy Birthday Kelly!
    Allie, so glad to hear from you!
    Beth, can't help but think that it's unfortunate that Allie doesn't live near you, you know your son would get care that would be above and beyond! I'm happy for him that he has found his advocacy voice, I'm sure that it's because of the example that you and your hubby have set for him.
    Flea, I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet pooch, so hard when we lose our furbabies, I'm glad you were able to be with him.
    Pip, love the lights on the bike!
    So many more that I wanted to comment on, but the mind fails and I have been reading for a few days now but not had time to comment. Some days barely had time to read, but really wanted to stay caught up with that part at least!
    Our Covid numbers have been going up so our PHO (Provincial Health Officer) has asked us to travel only if essential and masks must be worn indoors in retail and other locations. If you work in an office and have plexiglass shields or can be socially distanced, you can forgo the mask while at your desk, but when you are walking in common areas, the mask must be on. She has also mandated that spin and cycle fit classes be suspended, no hot yoga and no HIIT classes either. When I went to reserve my spot at the Y, I saw that the cycle fit class that is at the same time as my core strength class was cancelled. This is only supposed to be for the next two weeks, we do need to get a handle on the numbers, flatten that damn curve again. It was originally just for the lower mainland (Vancouver and area) but our numbers on the Island are also climbing as they are in the whole province, so she has decided it needs to be province wide. I'm okay with it.
    We were supposed to have a council meeting for our strata, last week we said we would, but everyone had to be masked and it would only be the council. Then the new rules came down, hubby and I suggested zoom or google meet, a couple other members suggested out in the parking lot or someone's garage. I said no to both of those, I'm not sitting out in the cold and dark, it's too cold and dark right now! Anyway, we've decided to postpone it for now, there is nothing pressing that needs to be discussed so we will wait. We don't absolutely have to have one, the only one that is required is the AGM and that doesn't need to be til July or August. We have had that one outside for three years now! We made it a bit of a party, had a bbq out there and did pot luck. It was quite enjoyable. We didn't do potluck this past August, just had the meeting, but outside and socially distant.
    I am having major issues with my printer. We had winter tires put on our car last week and there was a rebate offer. I filled out everything online and then I had to scan my receipt into the computer, the scanner said "nope, don't wanna...." I tried everything I knew to do to fix it, nothing worked. Admittedly, my expertise is at best limited. Hubby spent the better part of Friday fixing the darn thing, but he got it working. Great, says I as I went to finish the rebate paperwork. At the end of it, I tried to print out the "print this page for your records" and the printer said "nope, don't wanna.....". I just told hubby that today, as I wanted him to have one day of blissful ignorance. He was working on it this afternoon, we'll see what happens. The annoying part is that it won't say what the problem is, it just keeps coming up "printing error". He even brought his printer up and tried it and got the same message. Have I ever mentioned how much I love technology?? :s Altho, without it I wouldn't be in contact with all of you lovely ladies!
    I must go, getting near bed time. Didn't sleep worth a darn last night, hoping that sheer exhaustion will kick in tonite....
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, livestream church, swooshed off burner grates then returned to ammonia to soak away decades of grease from the corners.
    Bonus: bicycle and helmet into car for donating.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, wipe down left side of Aunt Elsie’s stove with the last of the ammonia, shift burner grates to get last of gunk, hang out with repair guy, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    22 Find a new wat to tell someone you appreciate them: .

High heat spray paint requires temps of at least 50F. It never got above 45 in the garage so couldn’t spray paint the OSPHO’d back and underburner steel. AGAIN a lesson in timing and procrastination. The stove will work anyway, so that’s a project for the next warm dry day.

Allie – Halelujah! So happy to see you post! Rest well, let other people take care of you for a change and you’ll heal soon.
    Heather “… the uninsured cost of . . . surgery” Small wonder most US bankruptcies are due medical expen$e$. Glad that blocked toilet was only a bad dream!
    Welcome @jamisina66 in Jamie the Californian in Italy!
    Sheri in Oh Ooops!
    Michele safe travels.
    Katla no gas mask, open garage and boy are you right! Cleared my sinuses right up! Best was soaking the grease encrusted burner grates in plastic garbage bag overnight. Decades of burned on grease just swooshed right off. Soaking the stubborn corners another day and now I’m out of ammonia again. ;} Will son and DDIL share puppy pics?
    Barbie yes there are those who see this public health crisis as political. I feel for the businesses and their workers who’ve been hurt. But all it will take is for someone they love to die for them to understand. :cry:
    Pip you light us all up!
    Kelly “… usually angry about something else, in pain …” bingo. Grateful that his pain seems to be abating, he’s been much more active and even took the dogs down to the power line for the 3rd time since July. Have to remember to be thankful he’s more active, as it usually means more work for me ;) Sorry your birthday was so rough. Hope you can have a very merry un-birthday soon!
    Tracey loved hearing about you mother’s pink Pyrex bowl and your father’s not going anywhere without a jackknife in his pocket. Thanks for understanding! Does your treadle sewing machine work?
    Flea I have faith that the timing will work out. Your son may not think he is ready but when the puppy arrives it will help heal his heart. We are never ready to lose them, new ones don’t replace them, but do make it easier to face each day without them. As for your husband, good you can look at where his attitude comes from. Sometimes I find it hard to detach from Joe’s negativity. IMHO, you can’t MAKE someone happy, but sometimes they can sure make you miserable, if you let them. If I die before Joe, the widows will pounce, he’s a handsome guy. ;)
    Heather “… pluck up the courage to cancel …” exchange with SIL. Couragia! You can do this. Hope your sentimental DH goes along ;)
    Debbie love driving around looking at Christmas lights, one tradition I don’t have to adapt or give up this year.
    Rita :love the pic!
    Rebecca “…the connection between a little boy’s brain and to his …” “…part never came…” :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Fae that frosty photo tells me you need more layers ;)
    Terri what is a cricket stump? Thought Machka’s giant sculptures might have been cricket wickets, but to be honest I don’t know what those are either ;)
    Ginny “(did the job my way when he wasn’t there) yep. That’s another reason why I vacuum when he goes to town ;)
    Evelyn sounds like the “printer error” problem is not with your or DH’s printer, but with the file somehow Could your antivirus or ad blocking software be blocking something from the form? Can you either print it to a file, then print from that, or take a screenshot, paste it into a word document and print it from there?

Short on steps, need to get up and move. Craving international coffee crème caramel and cookies. Better to move.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 22, steps>5491=3653 so far vits=22 log=22 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=22 mfp=22 outside=19 up hill=18
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance=2 clean 30 mins=13.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=14 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited November 2020
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Terri what is a cricket stump? Thought Machka’s giant sculptures might have been cricket wickets, but to be honest I don’t know what those are either ;)
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

The wicket is the whole thing ... three stumps plus two bails on top.

There are two of them, one at either end of the pitch.

Does that clear it up for you. :)

Here's a photo ...

3mto51j5yzmo.png

M in Oz

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Love my pressure cooker, got the first when we married 54 years ago, used it for everything, from pork chops sterilising baby bottles. (That was a disaster of melted plastic) Another time the ceiling was covered in ham and lentil soup. When I replaced it after many years with a newer one it was a relief as design is different. Still use for bacon or ham joints, soup and veggies.

Kate UK ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    What would I do now without my Instant Pot. :o I use it nearly every day! I love that I don't have to watch it and it keeps my food warm for me. We eat a lot of stews/curries/tagines, but I also use it regularly to parboil potatoes, boil eggs, cook brown rice,and make yoghurt.
    Won't be using it today as we are having Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables with Feta. :D But I will have the frozen brown rice I cooked in it previously.

Waiting for the doctor to call. The receptionist actually called me to make a phone appointment with him. I had already been trying to get through for 30 minutes. Grrr! Their communication system is rubbish.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    The park I walked and ran in on our holiday in October ...

2c8ddd261uim.png

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    The doc rang, but had nothing much to say as one of the liver tests is not back yet. :# I will check it online after the 3rd. If it's normal I probably won't get a call. It's for ethanol - alcohol. The other liver test was completely normal.
    So iron is a bit out of kilter, but not terrible. Highish serum ferritin, lowish iron % serritin. Could be the after effects of a virus, could be familial, could be liver. We shall wait and see. He said he will retest ferritin in a few months if the liver test comes back normal.

Might go out for a stroll soon with DH. Bit grey, but not windy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Happy birthday KJ!
    Speedy recovery Allie and Lisa!
    Hugs to Beth!

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    edited November 2020
    Lisa I agree. DH has been suffering with kidney cancer for a few years now and it makes him cranky too. He does love to point out what I do wrong as a result. Sometimes it is something I can easily fix or change if not I have learned just to stay quiet and go on i.e. I learn to pick my battles carefully. I must admit having the other house to go to in the afternoon helps tremendously. People ask if there is plans to sell it. I look at it as my cabin in the city so my answer is NO! Fortunately the cost and upkeep are about what a nice trip would cost and since travel is out I find it is my savior during this tough time.

He barely tolerates Drew so it helps with that too. The other house has a fenced in yard and gives Drew room to roam. I do think the pit bull is gone now. I have not seen her in the yard for about a week now. Hard to say because I am trying not to spend much time in the back yard since I reported the dog.

I did meet some other nice neighbors whose little dog was attacked by a different pit bull and survived. They were quite happy that I reported the one behind me. The pit bull that attacked their dog was put down. That is what an owner risks if their dog hurts another animal or person. It is unfortunate that the breed gets a bad name they can be wonderful dogs if the owners handles and trains them correctly.
    :heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Exermom those are mini likes with a battery pack. There are two. One wrapped on the frame of the bike, the other on the wheels. That had the blinking, etc little program on it.

Auntiebk thx

grandmallie hope u r doing ok
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Faetta: We haven’t seen a hard frost yet. I think our respective elevations account for the difference. I live at 31 feet above sea level, on the banks of the Columbia River. I suspect your home is above 160 feet. I’d love to know whether I am even close to the right elevation for your home. :wink:

KJ: Tim needs to be more thoughtful. You work hard and deserve being treated on your birthday, and every Monday-Sunday. :flowerforyou:

Michele: We haven’t stayed in a hotel in a few years. Last year we traveled inside our state in our RV. We had a great time visiting DSIL and several lovely parks on the Oregon Coast. I’d love to do that again. Maybe it will be possible in 2021. We will see whether it can happen then. :ohwell:

Allie: So wonderful to see your posts!!! I hope healing goes well. :star:

Heather: Our husbands seem to have hip troubles in common. I hope yours is a bit luckier than mine. There is no surgical fix for DH and he has to take pain medications daily. :sad:

Kate UK: We had a clean patch above our kitchen stove when we took the pressure top off of the pressure cooker too early. We had a very clean spot in the kitchen ceiling above the stove and had to paint the whole ceiling. That was two houses ago when our son was just a baby. We still have that pressure cooker, but rarely use it. DH bought an Instant Pot a couple of years ago. It is essentially also a pressure cooker but we’re smarter now and haven’t repeated the removal of a pressure valve. :laugh:

Margaret: I’ve heard a saying that may apply—"There are no bad dogs. There are just bad owners.” Too many people who own pitbulls are terrible owners. :ohwell:

I have a trip to my new dentist this morning. This will include at least one filling and a good teeth cleaning. It has been a while since I’ve had good dental care. My previous dentist had health issues for a long time. It was impossible to get an appointment. He officially closed his practice this past summer.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Katla I am up in the hills at about 280 feet. Sometimes it is colder at the river which is 79 feet. I am on the other side of the Cascades and colder air hangs in here, even at the river. Also being at desert's edge adds another element in temperature differentials.

Barbara Whilst I picked up on your comment about my lack of layering o:) , in the photo I had on high waist full coverage panties, tight yoga cotton shorts, heavy leggings, and then heavyweight mom jeans. On top I had my full coverage bralette, new cotton tight fit chest warmer turtleneck/mask, then a heavy long-sleeve Carhartt work Tee, then my stretch thermal jacket, then my heavy insulated waterproof coat. One pair of thermal socks under a wool blend over hiking sock, and my thick sole Sketchers. I took off my heavy insulated gloves to set up my cell phone on a post to take the photo. I was actually sweating when I got home.

Fae having a domestic disagreement with Old Man Winter
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Old Man Winter was once again defied by Faetta. He cranked down the temperature to 31 degrees F knowing she would shiver, cower indoors, and repent of her scandalous ways. At least she would don leggings. Fae was poised and each move was precise. She was on a Caribbean beach far away from the chilling discipline of her seasonal Puritan captor. Old Man Winter hates female defiance. He is angry about Fae performing a few of her signature Fae She moves at 5 below zero last winter on her patio donned in a few woven strands of nylon spandex barely covering key features of her female anatomy. Old Man Winter knows Faetta is aging. "She can't keep up this nonsense much longer," he muses. Now on her 71st trip around old Sol, Fae has become proficient in defying old men and Winters is no exception.

Old Man Winter thinks he is so smart. He wet the sidewalks and pavement thinking old Fae would just go out sashaying like a model and then, whamo, slip and fall on the thin ice. Then she would be his mistress for months. Old Winters like many old men don't know the neurons in the female estrogen brain in such decision-making fire a bit different than the testosterone fogged brain. One quick check of a forward foot like a horse pawing to test footing, Faetta discovered Mr. Tricky Mans trap. She turned back toward her house and with one swift back kick like an angry outback kangaroo, caught old man Winters square in the cajones. Old Faetta once again unmasked old Winters exposing him for the cruel con master he is. Fae will walk later today and shake her booty while old man Winters nurses his bruised thawed anatomy.

Fae refusing to be denied her fitness walk
  • cityjaneLondon
    Went out for our walk. I'm not running right now because of my Gluteal Tendinopathy. The sun peeped out for us! :D The off shore wind farm was all lit up against the clouds. 7 swimmers, only two in wet suits, :o 3 paddleboarders, and 1 dog running in and out of the waves. We stopped off at the posh bakery to buy ricotta and spinach pies. Bought 4 because they freeze well. They are nice for a Saturday treat.
    Had a nap and now preparing veggies.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx and thinking of Allie. <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »

Heather: Our husbands seem to have hip troubles in common. I hope yours is a bit luckier than mine. There is no surgical fix for DH and he has to take pain medications daily. :sad:

I have a trip to my new dentist this morning. This will include at least one filling and a good teeth cleaning. It has been a while since I’ve had good dental care. My previous dentist had health issues for a long time. It was impossible to get an appointment. He officially closed his practice this past summer.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Hip surgeries are not always a cure either.My husband had both replaced, less than five years later, both failed, causing more damage than he had before the replacements so had to have them both replaced. He still has pain from the one that had the most damage.

I have a dentist appointment today too- have a new hygentist as the one I had has retired. VERY nervous-just cleaning but have had some rough ones in the past.
    The dentist also retired but his brother, whom I have seen in the past, is still there.
    I was surprised how fast I could get an appointment- I called Wed. and could have gone in on Friday. Picked today instead- they had many available each day.
    Just want it over with.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca