WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    On our holiday in October, we got to pat a Wombat!

6cj6uaki6ohm.png
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    SuziQ Good to see you back. 1400 to catch up on is a bunch.

Barbara Those are my heavy stretch relaxed mom jeans. They get stretched and don't recover much until they are washed. I usually wear the same pair for two days. After about a mile of walking, they don't look very nice, but they are super comfortable, warm. and nice for walking. The photo was after two days wear and about 6 miles.

Really foggy with ice crystals in the air this morning. Glad I no longer have to drive on ice and over foggy passes with low visibility and crazy drivers that don't understand their 4 wheel drive doesn't stop as good as it goes on snow and ice.

Fae thinking about moving to Florida
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello again.

I am going to do my best to catch up with everyone and will probably miss some updates. This is not at all intentional. I have missed everyone and have thought about each of you during the past few weeks.
    Fae – Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a good year and your new decade is fabulous.

Luci – My eating has been off the rails lately too. It was good to see your post and glad you survived Zeta.

Heather – I love your 70th birthday picture. You look so happy and so in your element!

Flea – Your trip to Kauai sounds wonderful. A great way for you and hubby to relax, recharge, and spend some quality time together.

Katla – I hope you donated the candy to the food bank. And, while I completely agree with you regarding nutrition there are many children who would love to have a sweet treat. My boss is involved with the Junior League and every year they hold a cereal drive with two other organizations one which concentrates on seniors. The gal coordinating the cereal drive stated the seniors love the cereal drive. It’s the only time during the year they get sweet cereals that bring them back to their childhoods.

Tracey – Hope all is OK with your MIL and/or there is a course of action. Love the pictures of the Halloween scavenger hunt.

Terri – I love your longer hair. If you’re anything like me I love my short hair because it takes no time to style and I can wash and go. I am currently growing mine out a little for a longer, short cut which is scheduled for December 5th.

Lisa – So glad to hear you are slowly on the mend. A hair cut can work wonders on one’s soul.

Santa – I have a very dear friend who is a Santa. He does parties and works in various stores. What is funny is he never was a kid person. He is in several Netflix shows too. The latest is “Holidate” where he is the Santa in the last 5-8 minutes. Here is a picture of him that I had taken off of the screen while watching the movie.
    jpsxqpo4f1ff.png

Thanksgiving – Originally a very small group of us were going to gather at my house for an outdoor meal. With the numbers tripling every week here in Florida we all decided it would be best to forgo our dinner. When we made the decision I picked up two Cornish hens and will make a very small meal for myself. Two hens will allow for one day of leftovers which will be perfect for me.

Ginny – Happy belated birthday. I hope you’re getting out of the covid-funk.

Michele – What a lovely way to make someone’s day. Steve will certainly have stories told about him as long as the waiter lives.

Kim – As far as the camp leaders are concerned – Karma is a B and comes back with a vengeance. You have such a big heart. Dylan is very fortunate to have met you.

Heather – As I read the progress of the Christmas cake my mouth begins to water!

Debbie – Hope dad had a wonderful birthday.

I am up to page 10 – yes, just page 10 with 60 more to go. I am still catching up and will post again.

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) Jake has been understandably concerned about the huge spread of the virus last week and has decided that we should shelter even more than we already do. I showed him how we can order groceries for pick up using the QFC app on my phone and that seemed to be a good plan for him. Unfortunately meat and ice cream seem to be a problem so the plan is that we will go to Costco this morning and be poised to walk in the minute they open the doors for senior hours. He will get meat and ice cream and I'll get a few other things and we'll check out our carts separately. We probably have enough food and supplies to last us until long after Christmas but with life so uncertain, I am easily encouraged to buy more.

:) I will venture out at the end of the week to pick up some library books at curbside pick up.

:) I have a sign on my refrigerator that says, "We already have everything we need".

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to catch y'all up on me. I posted a long PSA directed to all but specifically for Michele a couple of days ago, but hit something that make it go poof!, got mad and gave up. Do y'all remember my hurt pinky finger from TWO MONTHS AGO? Well, now that a lot of the swelling has gone down it is obvious that something is just not right, so I took my self to the orthopedist. Major joint dislocation at the first joint up from my hand. It would have been an easy fix if I had gone in when it happened, but now I am facing surgery to put it right with a pin, then more surgery to remove the pin, then physical therapy to regain use of the finger. Moral of this story: Get your injuries examined in a timely manner.

Beth, I cannot imagine the level of frustration and anger that you are experiencing. Good for getting your son out of that place for now. It sounds like they definitely need to face up to the consequences of their neglect.

Allie, praying for a successful recuperation and plan going forward with your heart (and your kidney issue).

Kim, good for you and your desire to do the right thing as well.

Suzi, good luck with catching up. Been there, done that, more times than I want to admit.

I'm trying to get my house in order for Thanksgiving and then as soon as Thursday is over (sorry, can't do it before - I just can't) get the house decorated for Christmas before my surgery on Dec 3. That is super early still in my usual tradition, but I'm afraid my finger will be too painful afterwards. It's going to be a scale-backed version for sure. The only ones coming for Thanksgiving are our daughter, her husband and two kids, and our son. We will social distance. The way my house is laid out, we can eat 6 feet apart by household and still talk. My parents and my siblings were not invited this year. I will deliver take-out plates to my parents' house in the late afternoon with enough for my brother and his family if they want to share. I will wear a mask to deliver. my husband plans to wear a mask the whole time our kids are in the house. I'm probably not going to do that since I will be cooking and cleaning up. If he had his way, we would have canceled he whole meal, but I couldn't do it. Our daughter and her family have been self-isolating for a week. Our son has been to work, but he will wear his mask and keep his distance. It is worth the risk to me.

Well, I've procrastinated the dusting enough. I hate, hate, hate dusting and vacuuming. I'm very seriously planning to get a house cleaner. I think it will make our lives so much easier. All I need is someone to dust, vacuum, damp mop and clean the bathrooms every two weeks. We are neat people. I love organizing and tidying, but I hate cleaning.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ Cornish hens with Stovetop dressing, green beans, and jelled cranberry is what I have done the last several years.

Hugs Fae
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    )
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Work has been crazy over the past month or so and is expected to be even busy as the year draws to an end. I am off this week (glory be) and am taking the day to catch up with you while binge watching several shows I have recorded over the past few months. While I write I am watching “The Undoing”. I hope it is as good as it appeared in the trailers (Nicole Kidman – how can one go wrong).

Heather – What a lovely picture of you while eating the delicious looking pizza. Love the pictures of the grands at Devil’s *kitten*.

Machka/Fae – I love Tevas and have been wearing them for years. I spend most of the year in sandals. I love the face I can dirty them up and then just rinse them off. I also love the support and feel they wear well.

Fae – Love the story about Javier and his new job. It’s amazing how we can touch on so many lives and not even know it. I am glad he looked you up and provided an update.

Pip – Love the picture of Kirby and Yogi. They both have the same posture. LOL!

RVRita – Sorry to hear you were not feeling well and having Colitis attacks. Sending positive thoughts that you’re feeling better. Long ago my friends and I agreed not to give each other holiday gifts. We will either meet up with each other or spend some time catching up on the phone. It has relieved all of us. If we want to buy a gift for some one we just buy it and give it.

Breakfast – Like many if I eat first thing in the morning I am hungry all day. I usually eat breakfast about 5 hours after waking. It works well for me and I find I am better able to manage my eating throughout the day.

Cathy – Your grandson’s card made me laugh. I would hold on to that one and leave it for him in an envelope market not to be opened until his 68th! Happy belated birthday to you.

Lanette – I love the Lady’s Detective Agency series and have re-read them a couple of times. It has been a few years I must revisit them.

Rebecca – Hoping hubby’s test results are good ones. I decorate for myself – it always lifts my spirits and I love the memories of each decoration. Athena is growing up so quickly! She is adorable.

Tracey – Like you I find it difficult to cook after a long day at work even though I am still remote. I make/prep a few meals over the weekend so I do not have to think about cooking during the week.

Katla – According to your quick I am older than dirt. LOL!

Allie – Prayers DD’s treatment is successful.

Michele – I find it incredibly rude people talk on the phone while they are checking out (or even in the store). It’s not only disrespectful of the checkout person it makes the wait in line longer for those behind the one involved in their own world. Not sure when certain behaviors have become okay….it seems people are becoming more self-centered as time moves on.

Ginny – Happy belated birthday!!

JanetR – Happy belated birthday!!

Tracey – Sending prayers to your mom. Praying all is okay with her.

Signing off for now – up to page 20! I am making progress.

Best to all,
    SuziQ – SFL
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Yes, me again. I will get caught up today if it’s the last thing I do. I only have 50 or so more pages to read. 😊

Katla – So glad you have been able to get back to your yoga practice. It sounds like you’re over the moon being able to get back on to the mat again.

KJ – Thank you for giving us an update on Suebdew.

Tracey – Oh, the snow! I shiver thinking about it. It’s finally in the 70s here and I am wearing light, long-sleeved shirts in the mornings. I am so spoiled here!! What a cute stocking! You’re so creative.

Debbie – So happy for you and the time you were able to spend with your parents. What a salve you must be for them.

Rebecca – My friend (as mentioned in a previous post) was the Santa in the last scene of "Holidate". Believe it or not the filming took place almost two years ago.

Popcorn Ceilings – Shortly after Charlie died I had the popcorn ceilings removed and then texturized. It was the best investment I made in the house. It no longer feels dated! I am glad I hired professionals to do it. It would have been a very long process, if I had decided to do it myself.

Dr. Katie – Love the before and after pictures. What a difference. You look wonderful.

Carol – Thank you for the scam reminder. I never answer my phone, if I do not recognize the number. Very smart not to press one and then go to the source to be sure nothing is going on.

Vicki – I am happy you had a nice vacation with your DH. I am so sorry to hear about your SIL. So very young.

Purses and Shopping Carts – Even with the new protocols grocery carts are loaded, seriously loaded with germs and viruses. I never allow my purse to touch one. I typically wear a cross-body purse when I carry one so I am hands free and not worrying about someone grabbing my purse.

Page 30 – Only 40 more to go!! Signing off for now. I am still hoping to get caught up by the end of the day. “The Undoing” is good even though I am half paying attention to it. 😊

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    SuziQ: I am pleased to see your post. I hope to see you here more often. :star:

Machka: Your photo is the first I’ve seen of a Wombat. It has a cute face. Are they herbivores, omnivores or carnivores? Welcome creatures or pests? :huh:

Barbie: We have not been inside a Costco since the Covid Virus descended on us. Our nearest Costco is more than 30 miles from here through a narrow, windy pass. It is located in an area with much higher levels of Covid virus cases. Our membership is not going to waste. I share it with our daughter in law, who lives in VA. She uses it regularly. Last I heard, my daughter shares a membership with her MIL. :star:

Dr. Katie: I am so sorry that you need surgery on your hand. Is it the dominant hand? I hope that all goes well and you heal quickly. :flowerforyou:

Fae: We are planning on Prime Rib for Thanksgiving Day this year. We shopped a long while ago and have had it waiting in our freezer. We regularly buy turkey thighs. A whole turkey is too much for two people. Cornish Game hens are a great idea. We have two in our freezer right now. We found them on a meat sale at a local grocery store. :smiley:

SuziQ: Me, too! Being older than dirt is not a bad thing. It is proof of living well. :wink:

DH has always been a meat shopper. He put himself through college as a meat cutter in grocery stores. Our freezers are usually well stocked, but the CoVid virus has put him into hoarding mode. As long as we have electricity our frozen meats will be safe to thaw and eat.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Barbara, my computer was refusing to acknowledge the existence of any printer. I'm not sure what hubby did, but now there is a copy of my printer on my computer and that's what I use to print. The frustrating part is/was that I had been able to use my printer just fine, even after I got the new computer, and then all of a sudden it was a no-go. But it's fixed now, for now anyway! lol
    Only when I have to actually carry papers into a meeting or something will I print to paper. Machka, I'm a little old school and like to be able to print stuff out. I never did print out the paperwork for the rebate, but I do have the confirmation number written down so will be able to access it if necessary. I also print out recipes and patterns, so not having a printer was a pain. I'm much happier when all my technology works! lol
    Today was a bit of a lazy day, not sure why but I woke up with a screaming headache, took sinus medication and it went away eventually. Anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to look into making some 3D masks that a friend was talking about. I found the pattern, had to go down to hubby's computer and print it out, along with the directions, but the bottom line is, I made one, I love it! My glasses don't fog up! At least they didn't when I was trying it, and I even tried to make them fog! So I made two more and have cut out enough fabric to make four more. I will post photos when I'm done. Hopefully will get them done tomorrow. After I go to my core strength class, of course! I see my chiropractor tomorrow afternoon, that's going to be a good thing, she has certainly had her work cut out for her with me lately, not sure what's going on, delayed stress probably. I suspect there's a LOT of that going on!
    Anyway, that's it for me for today. Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

I look forward to seeing the masks- always looking for a different pattern to try/any upgrades that work better.
    I am still making masks but not as many as I was. I need to get a few pair of slippers made then back to masks- want to make some Christma ones- have the fabric. I made some pretty fall colored ones and gave one to my eye dr and one to my hygentist -they were happy to get them.(brown/yellow/orange plaid with shinny gold. Not a lot of gold, just enough sparkle)

Debbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Barbara ... so glad Joe appreciates your efforts! Somehow it makes things easier to do when we know our efforts are not unnoticed.

Lisa ... we are glad my son is finding his voice also. It's difficult when, in the wrong situation, speaking up can cause backlash ... both mental and physical.

DrKatiebug ... So sorry there is a moral to your finger story and praying the surgery takes care of the problem.

SuziQ! ... so glad to see you! You've been missed.

Allie ... if you're reading, I'm still praying for a speedy recovery. Rest well; heal completely.

Good news: my husband's echocardiogram shows no heart issues that would cause Afib ... just one of those people that experiences them. He's fine at the moment. Will keep an eye on it.

Somewhere I read it's "Try it Tuesday." So today I'm trying a new recipe ... Vegan Pumpkin Bread. While my son doesn't follow a vegan diet, he is allergic to eggs, so we'll see if this recipe is a keeper.

As we wait out my son's "exposure to an exposure," I am not going into work. My pastor/boss was very sympathetic this time around. ;) Might have something to do with all the Covid cases now showing up around us. Our governor will soon be putting our county on lockdown. We expect it tomorrow. I shopped heavily at the beginning of last week and picked up an order curbside from Walmart that was humongous. My freezer is full and I seriously don't think I have to go shopping again until Christmas except for things like milk and eggs and there's Instantcart for that!

Beth near Buffalo
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @auntiebk "Wondering if Joe’s irritation with my clinging to stuff associated with Mama and Papa, could be because he didn’t have those good associations? Hmm. In any case, when my initial, kneejerk reaction to his attitude was snippy, “Thank you, Barbara for donating two of Mama and Papa’s chairs”"... I find that often people don't like to be in their in-laws stuff or in "old stuff". it's so personal. I was not a mad fiend of having my significant other's family's stuff in great quantities. In little doses it seems normal but if it takes a lot of space it can feel like there's little space for new ideas of furniture etc. One can't generalise though.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Kelly I'm a teacher. no problem forgetting. We are so numerous.

@Allie So glad to hear you are doing well!