Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Premium?

Zadviv2Zadviv2 Member Posts: 18 Member Member Posts: 18 Member
So to anyone who has premium. Is it wort the money? What are the benefits you have found? I'm not on any specific diet. I count calories & try getting my exercise in. Would it still be beneficial? The only pluse I'm seeing is add free & im just not sure its worth it. What's you're thinking on the matter?

Replies

• CipherZeroCipherZero Member Posts: 1,416 Member Member Posts: 1,416 Member
    100% not worth it unless you have a demonstrable need for premium features.
  • claireychn074claireychn074 Member, Premium Posts: 381 Member Member, Premium Posts: 381 Member
    I only have premium because my internet is slow and phone signal sometime weak, so all the ads used to stop MFP from loading. Being ad free means I can actually use the site!
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,074 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,074 Member
    It offers more detailed control over macro goals, varied calorie goals by day, and other things that might be beneficial for someone with medical or athletic needs for that.

I believe it has more content in the "plans" and "workout routines" part of the phone/tablet apps.

I think it keeps your diary data longer (I believe you only get something like 2 years history in free MFP).

The new net carbs feature is only in premium.

That's a few differences I can think of.

The decision's going to be individual, based on personal needs. I suspect most people using the free version happily, in basic ways, wouldn't have a big reason to switch.
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member Posts: 3,952 Member Member Posts: 3,952 Member
    They are always offering free trials. Why don't you try it for a month (or three if you get that offer) and see for yourself?

I did a three-month trial. The ad-free was nice. So was being able to download a bunch of data, which I did before the free trial ended. Different ways to divvy up macros was nice enough, but not really a big deal; if I were trying to hit a certain number of grams protein each day (not a percentage), it MIGHT be beneficial; I can still see how many grams I have even if the colors don't change.

When the free trial was almost over, I cancelled. I've thought about doing another trial, but so far haven't.

Just try it. It's free. Then tell us what YOU think about it. And if you don't like it, just turn it off before the trial is over.
  • ritzvinritzvin Member, Premium Posts: 2,764 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,764 Member
    Zadviv2 wrote: »
    So to anyone who has premium. Is it wort the money? What are the benefits you have found? I'm not on any specific diet. I count calories & try getting my exercise in. Would it still be beneficial? The only pluse I'm seeing is add free & im just not sure its worth it. What's you're thinking on the matter?

If you haven't tried to change a particular setting and couldn't because it's premium only (and don't mind ads), then you wouldn't see any benefit.
  • ritzvinritzvin Member, Premium Posts: 2,764 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,764 Member
    I do have my protein and fat set to gram minimums, and have my exercise calories applied 100% to carbs to not change those numbers. Which are premium.

The premium settings are all visible to everyone with a note that you need premium to change if you don't have it.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,310 Member Member Posts: 24,310 Member
    I feel like this is less a "debate" question and more of an issue of looking at the specific features and seeing if YOU would find them value-added. I'd never pay for any of the premium features because I know they wouldn't be useful to me. That doesn't mean that others can't find them useful.
  • BruceappleBruceapple Member, Premium Posts: 2,016 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,016 Member
    Add free it does not crawl or lock up
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 38,204 Member Member Posts: 38,204 Member
    I've been hanging around here since November 2012...I personally don't see anything offered in premium that would make me want to go premium...plus, this site is glitchy as hell and has been for the 8 years I've been here and I think I'd be pissed if I was paying. When these glitches and crashes happen I just say, "oh well...it's free"

My internet also rocks, so I don't have any problems with adds and loading the site, etc. I can have three people in my house on a zoom meeting at the same time while we're streaming on the t.v. and I can't even tell.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 22,708 Member Member Posts: 22,708 Member
    I've had a mostly ad-free internet experience for @ 15 years.

If the best argument for Premium is lack of ads, that is a sad, sad argument.
    edited November 16
  • charmmethcharmmeth Member Posts: 635 Member Member Posts: 635 Member
    I have been wondering about getting premium just to support mfp, not for the additional features. I am aware of what it costs to store the amount of data mfp must generate, and I think it's amazing that they give us this service for free.
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,388 Member Member Posts: 1,388 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I have been wondering about getting premium just to support mfp, not for the additional features. I am aware of what it costs to store the amount of data mfp must generate, and I think it's amazing that they give us this service for free.

*cynical hat on* MFP is not a non-profit organisation, I'm going to guess that they get quite a bit of revenue from ads from the 'free' members here :smirk:

That being said, I remember reading about MFP being sold: https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/30/under-armour-to-sell-myfitnesspal-for-345-million-after-acquiring-it-in-2015-for-475-million/
    So perhaps it isn't as profitable as it was. But a new owner might bring about all kinds of changes, including the different types of memberships.
    edited November 18