What’s your REAL reason for your fitness/ weight goals?

2»

Replies

• razrbak94
    razrbak94 Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2020
    Tired of seeing my dad's body when I look in the mirror.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I started out disabled with multiple health issues and my main goal was to strengthen my spine and be more mobile and not go further downhill. I've managed to get off diabetes meds and was doing great when I developed a new nerve condition. I can't do a lot of what I was doing at the beginning of the year, the condition I probably have it's common for people to lose use of their affected areas without movement and for me that's chest-down so I'm fighting for doing anything with my legs. I want to be as able-bodied as possible for as long as I can and STILL stay off diabetes medications while being on as little medication as possible for this condition.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I want plastic surgery to remove all the skin from my first weight loss. The plastic surgeon refused to meet with me until I was at a normal BMI (and I had to be nicotine free for 2 months). So I have worked and tracked for the last year and I am almost there! I plan on wearing a bikini this summer without a coverup and strutting my stuff all over the beach!

I can't wait to hear all your stoty. Keep us updated. Sounds like you have been on a wonderful journey!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I was a fat kid. I lost weight, b/c even as a kid, I knew I wouldn't be able to live a "normal life" if I was obese. My mother was obese and didn't have the self esteem and was riddled with too much body shame to do normal things like have a job.

I just wanted to be "normal."

Can you define normal?

Decide who you want to be, the version of you that brings contentment and joy and work towards that person.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited November 2020
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me it's aesthetics. Sure getting strong and healthy is great but it's always secondary. I'm not gaining weight for fun over here :p

Haven't you hit goal like 50 times already? You get anymore aesthetic and you will melt my phone.... 🔥
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I was a fat kid. I lost weight, b/c even as a kid, I knew I wouldn't be able to live a "normal life" if I was obese. My mother was obese and didn't have the self esteem and was riddled with too much body shame to do normal things like have a job.

I just wanted to be "normal."

Can you define normal?

Decide who you want to be, the version of you that brings contentment and joy and work towards that person.

Normal:
    -Shop for clothes at non-specialty sized stores
    -Not being constantly teased or ridiculed for my weight by peers, adults, and family members
    -Not being excluded from social and family events based on my weight
    -Not being told by others what I could or could not do based on my weight
    -Not suffer from crippling anxiety from constant verbal abuse from strangers about my weight
    -Not suffering from crippling body-shame inflicted by other people

I think the statement "decide who you want to be...and work toward that" really misses the mark. I think that you might be underestimating the level of abuse that obese people face.

Far too often, obese people are forced to mask their vulnerabilities in order to prevent mean-spirited people from exploiting those vulnerabilities.

Being fat is still the one of the few phyiscal features that is semi-socially acceptable to discriminate against and mock.

I've been obese and "normal sized." People treated me differently based on my weight...and that unequivocally had nothing to do with my attitude or personality. I have always been unabashedly myself...people have a bigger problem with loud-mouthed fat girls than with loud-mouthed fit girls.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me it's aesthetics. Sure getting strong and healthy is great but it's always secondary. I'm not gaining weight for fun over here :p

Haven't you hit goal like 50 times already? You get anymore aesthetic and you will melt my phone.... 🔥

Hahaha aww too kind ;)
    But ya I keep having babies I think I'm done so full steam ahead :)
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    @deputy_randolph I don't know you and you don't know me. If you say my statement misses the mark, I respect that.
    It was not intended to belittle or minimize the amount of trauma felt by those considered obese by others.

Is there another way forward considering you cannot control how others behave? The statement was really more about personal self worth and self acceptance. I am who I am now and this is the direction I want to go tomorrow.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,049 Member
    Exactly the same reasons as OP.I have low self esteem.

I lost 30lbs due to severe stress and undereating (something I never had an issue with ever before) and now I'm unstressed although Im firstly upset in the way I lost weight, I'm actually quite happy with how I look now and I feel very much better. And I still have 15lbs to lose.
    But I doubt I'll be posting a success story, I feel like a fraud for losing 30lbs because I didn't actively do anything to lose it. I just go so stressed an anxious I found it hard to eat.

Although now I'm unstressed I can eat again without any issues and I'll probably gain 30lbs by Xmas haha
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    @deputy_randolph I don't know you and you don't know me. If you say my statement misses the mark, I respect that.
    It was not intended to belittle or minimize the amount of trauma felt by those considered obese by others.

Is there another way forward considering you cannot control how others behave? The statement was really more about personal self worth and self acceptance. I am who I am now and this is the direction I want to go tomorrow.

The point is that, unfortunately, the self-worth of many obese people is damaged by the actions of others. Sometimes, obese people have to retreat from "normal" interactions as a self-protective measure. This retreat can be very limiting to living a "normal" life; things that "normal sized" people take for granted like the simple, such as going to a gym or the more complex, such as dating.

Traumatized people don't put themselves out there as often as others, because they anticipate further trauma. They don't put themselves out there in careers, or friendships, or relationships, or other areas. You can't control the actions of others, but you can control putting yourself out there for more rejection or abuse.

This is not normal or okay at all...but it happens all too often.