Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Chemotherapy is Evil

Replies

• AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,063 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,063 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    My mother had uterine cancer. She didn’t know she had cancer and ignored the symptoms because she was scared. Her stomach got hard and bloated and she was sick literally everytime she ate. My dad finally dragged her to the doctor.

That hits close home. My mom has just been diagnosed with uterine cancer. Her symptoms started before Covid-19 and it took her till now to get it checked out.

The doctors are optimistic that it hasn't spread yet. Depending on what they find during surgery, radiation therapy might be needed. Chemo seemes unlikely at the moment. The doctors' strategy is obviously conservative at this point and my mom was (pleasantly) surprised that chemo wasn't on the table (yet). If they change their mind, I'm sure she'll listen to their explanations though, before making her decision.

Maybe you already know this, but for the more common cancers, there are very structured protocols for when to recommend chemo or not (though of course the patient can decide to go against medical recommendations), and whether/which other treatments may be beneficial and appropriate. It depends on things like the type/subtype of cancer, how far the cancer has spread, what the actual cancer cells look like microscopically (there are criteria and grading numbers for these), sometimes how the cancer cells look at a genetic or biochemical level, and more. The protocols are developed by consensus groups (for example, https://www.nccn.org/).
  • mburgess458mburgess458 Member, Premium Posts: 475 Member Member, Premium Posts: 475 Member
    I will see if I can find it, but I remember reading something a few years ago where they studied what doctors (and specifically oncologists I think) do when they themselves get cancer. The point of the study was that doctors are much more likely than non-doctors to refuse chemo when the chances of success are very low. When the chances of success were decent they went with chemo. I don't think they found any that refused chemo and instead used only non-medical treatments if there was an effective chemo therapy available.

Point being that the experts on the subject use chemo when it has been proven to have a good chance of success (everyone's definition of "good chance" is different). A lot of non-doctors understandably will try whatever is out there to give them a 1 in a million chance of surviving. Doctors know the physical costs of chemo and tend to choose quality of life over a tiny chance of survival and the side effects of chemo.

My mom was diagnosed with lymphoma about 10 years ago. Chemo put it in remission and she is still alive and cancer free. Chemo also aged her a ton and some of the side effects never went away (like she has nerve issues with her feet and can barely do stairs). I think she made the right decision to have chemo. Doctors had a lot of data on how likely chemo was to help, non-medical people did NOT have similar data on non-western approaches.
  • path7975path7975 Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    As I said this was recommended 8 years ago & I think because some research suggests cancer feeds off sugar( becoming a fat burner for energy instead of sugar) so the less sugar in your body the better. Everyone needs to do their own research before making decisions that effects their well-being.
  • __Di____Di__ Member Posts: 1,603 Member Member Posts: 1,603 Member
    I keep hearing all these stories of people who successfully defeated cancer by following ketogenic diets or by taking natural medicine. The common theme among them is that chemotherapy is evil and that cancer is a disease that is meant to keep corporations rich.

What do you guys think of these thoughts and cases?

Wondering because my dad undergoes chemotherapy every month, but his cancer keeps coming back... Which leads me to wonder: has anyone here ever successfully beaten cancer or know a family member or friend who has? I'm interested in hearing your stories.

Yes, my mum had breast cancer and had an operation followed by Chemotherapy resulting in her overcoming it, so I do not think Chemotherapy is evil at all. She was in her 70s at the time. All very well for some people to say Chemo is bad, but they aren't the ones walking in the footsteps of the person concerned.
  • silverpl2525silverpl2525 Member Posts: 113 Member Member Posts: 113 Member
    Every type of cancer is different in prognosis. Also, it really depends on whether or not it is caught in an early stage, or whether it has spread. Some cancers respond very well to surgery, chemo, and/or radiation. Others simply don't, and nothing can stop someone from dying from those types of cancer.

There have been several cancers in my family and I live life in this strange mindset...wanting to cherish the present moment because I don't know if I'll get some disease that will kill me fast, and wanting to make plans for retirement, assuming I will live to a ripe old age. I have some kind of deep-seated fear of cancer after witnessing it in my loved ones, and I do all I can to live as healthy as I can. If I ever get cancer, if the odds seem good to me that conventional treatments will help, I'll do it. If I'm told that chemo/radiation will only extend my life for a few months, I'd rather not do that and instead go into more palliative care.

Hugs to anyone who has had a life-threatening illness, or been there with a friend or family member who has had one. <3