Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Chemotherapy is Evil

13»

Replies

• Dogmom1978Dogmom1978 Member Posts: 1,277 Member Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    path7975 wrote: »
    As I said this was recommended 8 years ago & I think because some research suggests cancer feeds off sugar( becoming a fat burner for energy instead of sugar) so the less sugar in your body the better. Everyone needs to do their own research before making decisions that effects their well-being.

According to the Mayo Clinic: "All kinds of cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't make them grow faster. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't make them grow more slowly."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-causes/art-20044714#:~:text=All kinds of cells, including,make them grow more slowly.

^^^

Yep, I’m going to go with science. Should I get cancer and should I opt for chemo and should I survive and go into remission, I’m not going to then punish myself by going keto because some crackpot has decided cancer cells grow faster if you eat carbs.
  • airmidthehealerairmidthehealer Member Posts: 16 Member Member Posts: 16 Member
    I'm really sorry your father is ill and that the treatment hasn't worked (yet). I think generally the people who tout these things are trying to sell something and they are doing it to people who are so desperate they aren't able to think quite clearly. I mean that with all respect. It's just impossible to think 100% clearly when you're so worried about a family member or about yourself.

When I was struggling with fertility I was desperate for a family and I remember reading all sorts of alternative websites looking for some magic pill. It was the same idea (and probably the same people) making money off my desperation.

Doctors want to do good, but they also want to make money. If they could cure people with selling you a magic diet, they would. If a scientist were able to be the one who went down in history by curing cancer in repeated trials by advocating a special diet. Don't doubt for a second that they would do that. Whatever you do or don't believe about mainstream medicine, be as cynical as you can about it. They would do it if the could. But they have regulations and organizations they need to be accountable to. They can't make unfounded UNPROVABLE claims. If they could do it and repeat it. They would.

Wouldn't you want to be the doctor who proved you could cure cancer and be the one to sell the book that proved your work?

If a diet or a vitamin could cure this, someone would have done a trial and sold the book already. As simple as that. They'd be a billionaire and people would be done dying of cancer right now.

One person getting better while ALSO eating a special diet doesn't mean they got better because of that diet.

Probably far more people got sick and diet while eating the exact same thing.

Dr. Gerson has already done this. The Gerson Therapy advocates a particular (organic) diet, supplements and, oh yeah, coffee enemas.
  • airmidthehealerairmidthehealer Member Posts: 16 Member Member Posts: 16 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    My mother had uterine cancer. She didn’t know she had cancer and ignored the symptoms because she was scared. Her stomach got hard and bloated and she was sick literally everytime she ate. My dad finally dragged her to the doctor.

She had emergency surgery and they found the cancer had spread to her bowels and stomach. They were able to remove most of the cancer surgically. Then she had chemo to treat the rest.

The chemo almost killed her. In the end, it killed the cancer instead. She has been cancer free for over 8 months now and gets checked every 3 months. At 2 years cancer free her doctor told her she can switch to getting checked every 6 months.

Chemo sucks and whether or not someone wants to go through that is a highly personal choice. For me, I think it would depend on the odds of success. I would never try to suggest that someone not do chemo though and try some other unproven method. I also wouldn’t chastise them for it either.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. My mother developed ovarian cancer when I was 12, she was 50. No one knew she had cancer until she began bleeding, 20 years after menopause (she went through menopause very early). Four years later she died of stomach cancer. That was 1979, and having been a chemotherapy nurse, I can tell you that chemo has improved radically and so has our ability to control side effects, but it is far from perfect. Like Dogmom1978, I would not judge anyone for trying alternative treatment, chemotherapy or going straight to palliative care/hospice because this is such an intensely personal decision.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,291 Member Member Posts: 24,291 Member
    I'm really sorry your father is ill and that the treatment hasn't worked (yet). I think generally the people who tout these things are trying to sell something and they are doing it to people who are so desperate they aren't able to think quite clearly. I mean that with all respect. It's just impossible to think 100% clearly when you're so worried about a family member or about yourself.

When I was struggling with fertility I was desperate for a family and I remember reading all sorts of alternative websites looking for some magic pill. It was the same idea (and probably the same people) making money off my desperation.

Doctors want to do good, but they also want to make money. If they could cure people with selling you a magic diet, they would. If a scientist were able to be the one who went down in history by curing cancer in repeated trials by advocating a special diet. Don't doubt for a second that they would do that. Whatever you do or don't believe about mainstream medicine, be as cynical as you can about it. They would do it if the could. But they have regulations and organizations they need to be accountable to. They can't make unfounded UNPROVABLE claims. If they could do it and repeat it. They would.

Wouldn't you want to be the doctor who proved you could cure cancer and be the one to sell the book that proved your work?

If a diet or a vitamin could cure this, someone would have done a trial and sold the book already. As simple as that. They'd be a billionaire and people would be done dying of cancer right now.

One person getting better while ALSO eating a special diet doesn't mean they got better because of that diet.

Probably far more people got sick and diet while eating the exact same thing.

Dr. Gerson has already done this. The Gerson Therapy advocates a particular (organic) diet, supplements and, oh yeah, coffee enemas.

The one for which there are few clinical studies showing that it is helpful?
  • charmmethcharmmeth Member Posts: 628 Member Member Posts: 628 Member

ccrdragon wrote: »

And is total, absolute BS!

The one for which there are few clinical studies showing that it is helpful?

I rather think that the bull-*kitten*-ness and unhelpfulness were what @airmidthehealer was implying too.
    edited November 22
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I also find it incredibly offensive that some suggest survivors survived due to their will to live, because that suggests that the ones who did not survive somehow had less of a will or didn’t try hard enough.

This ^^^^^^! A few years ago, five of my good friends had cancer the same year. Three died; two are still with us though one will be back in hospital this coming week to see if she has developed another tumour. Another good friend's husband died of cancer this spring, All of them had a strong will to live.

Having said that, one of my friends who died very quickly might actually have lived a bit longer had he not had chemotherapy. He knoew - we all knew - that there was a pretty good chance of stopping the cancer with chemo and a small chance that he would react badly to the treatment. Sadly in his case it was the latter that proved to be the case. But in the case of the two friends who lived, chemo + other treatment has given them five years that would not have had otherwise. And one of my friends who died that year had been diagnosed several years before; he too was given considerable extra time by the treatment.

Whether to treat or not is always going to be a decision and that decision is based on statistical predictions in turn based on previous case histories. That does not determine how one individual responds.
  • nooshi713nooshi713 Member Posts: 4,251 Member Member Posts: 4,251 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I also find it incredibly offensive that some suggest survivors survived due to their will to live, because that suggests that the ones who did not survive somehow had less of a will or didn’t try hard enough.

This ^^^^^^! A few years ago, five of my good friends had cancer the same year. Three died; two are still with us though one will be back in hospital this coming week to see if she has developed another tumour. Another good friend's husband died of cancer this spring, All of them had a strong will to live.

Having said that, one of my friends who died very quickly might actually have lived a bit longer had he not had chemotherapy. He knoew - we all knew - that there was a pretty good chance of stopping the cancer with chemo and a small chance that he would react badly to the treatment. Sadly in his case it was the latter that proved to be the case. But in the case of the two friends who lived, chemo + other treatment has given them five years that would not have had otherwise. And one of my friends who died that year had been diagnosed several years before; he too was given considerable extra time by the treatment.

Whether to treat or not is always going to be a decision and that decision is based on statistical predictions in turn based on previous case histories. That does not determine how one individual responds.

Wow! That’s a lot of people with cancer at once. I’m very sorry for your loss. Cancer is a tough disease and I would not wish it on anyone.
    Wow! That’s a lot of people with cancer at once. I’m very sorry for your loss. Cancer is a tough disease and I would not wish it on anyone.

It was a horrific year, frankly. :( And like you say, I learned a lot about how tough it is on people, both those who have it and their families and friends.