Sore sternum

Hello I am new to this site and new to exercising. I have just started doing normal push ups this past week. I do a kickboxing class which I love. I did 101 push last Monday and about 40-50 push up everyday since then. I am out of shape and with the mask on breathing very heavy after a round. I left Saturday and since then my sternum has been tight and when I take a deep breath I can feel it in that area. Is this normal? And is there anything I can do to prevent it again and help speed the recovery like stretches? With everything going on in the world want to make sure this is not something serious.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2020
    General soreness yes. Especially when you go from untrained to probably a bit more than needed.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Can you call your physician? It may be nothing to worry about but I would call to be sure.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I hope it’s just soreness. The way to prevent it would be to alternate rest days and build up your volume more slowly.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Start slowly, and let it heal. also make sure your form is good. I tend to get pain around my lower sternum tip when doing dips in a corner when my form is not good, or when going on my racebike after a longer break. But my sternum is somewhat more flexible and the tissue around more sensitive than it should.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Sounds like your intercostals. Mine shouted at me for ages after doing a set of heavier than usual single arm kneeling shoulder presses.