Anyone have a near miss with diabetes?

2»

Replies

• katiemcm1125
    katiemcm1125 Posts: 26 Member
    My dietitian told me that diabetes is not so much caused by weight, but by lack of exercise. I do want to lose weight, but I am really focused on exercising right now because I am pre-diabetic.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Interesting. Did he recommend any particular type of exercise?
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Just got the results of my blood test. I only just have diabetes (mild diabetes) and if I eat low fat, low sugar and low carbs for three months I can reverse it. I'm not sure how I can eat in a way that is filling/satisfying over that time, its going to be hard giving up bacon and cheese etc.

No need to give up bacon and other foods you like. I have been type 2 for years. I still eat anything I want as long as it’s with in my calorie count. My last A1C was 6. Doctors toss around “ pre diabetic “ like it’s going out of style. Watch what you eat, lose some weight and enjoy ! As long as your A1c is under 7 you are doing well
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited December 2020
    So glad you were tested cyaneverfat! It probably doesn't feel like it, but you really are one of the lucky ones. This kind of diabetes is so silently deadly. Having caught it early you have a good chance of avoiding some really nasty (life-changing) consequences. As I said - just suddenly losing your sight is only one of these.

It also is good that your experts think you can reverse your diabetes with a 12 week sharp-shock.

I've heard of this working really well. (Have you read Michael Mosley's Low Sugar Diet? His book explains many things about the condition and has some very inspiring case-studies of people who have done what you are doing. His book has some great recipes for losing weight fast but eating enjoyable food.)

Good news: Bacon won't mess with your blood sugar levels - and, unless you eat it raw, it isn't high fat or high calorie.

I have found:
    Full-fat cheeses are high in calories and do raise blood sugar a little in some people but not others. Although lower in calories, low-fat dairy products and even milk do usually raise blood sugar and are best avoided.

Be careful of your dietician. Not all are well-qualified and if they don't know your particular case, their advice might be unhelpful... or even dangerous.

Don't rely on internet advice like ours on here :) either.
    This is much too important.

You might find the first few days hard but usually, the new eating starts to leave you feeling good. Don't be afraid of a little hunger at first. (Drink lots of water - it helps as a distraction.)
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    So glad you were tested cyaneverfat! It probably doesn't feel like it, but you really are one of the lucky ones. This kind of diabetes is so silently deadly. Having caught it early you have a good chance of avoiding some really nasty (life-changing) consequences. As I said - just suddenly losing your sight is only one of these.

It also is good that your experts think you can reverse your diabetes with a 12 week sharp-shock.

I've heard of this working really well. (Have you read Michael Mosley's Low Sugar Diet? His book explains many things about the condition and has some very inspiring case-studies of people who have done what you are doing. His book has some great recipes for losing weight fast but eating enjoyable food.)

Good news: Bacon won't mess with your blood sugar levels - and, unless you eat it raw, it isn't high fat or high calorie.

I have found:
    Full-fat cheeses are high in calories and do raise blood sugar a little in some people but not others. Although lower in calories, low-fat dairy products and even milk do usually raise blood sugar and are best avoided.

Be careful of your dietician. Not all are well-qualified and if they don't know your particular case, their advice might be unhelpful... or even dangerous.

Don't rely on internet advice like ours on here :) either.
    This is much too important.

You might find the first few days hard but usually, the new eating starts to leave you feeling good. Don't be afraid of a little hunger at first. (Drink lots of water - it helps as a distraction.)

Thank you, very helpful :-)
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Beware. Your dietician is not basing their comments on science.
    Even the conservative charities around Diabetes have recently acknowledged that a low-carb, low calorie diet can CURE the condition for a huge percentage of patients.
    Check out diabetes charity websites.

Previously doctors had NO cure for diabetes just ever-escalating medicine and physical decline.

Find “The Fat Fiction” on streaming platforms to educate yourself about the mess we’re in with nutrition, and why obesity and diabetes are running riot in the West.
    Eye-opening and inspiring.

Good luck with it. Diabetes killed my dad and auntie. I am trying to avoid their fate, too. It’s important 💞
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    My dietitian told me that diabetes is not so much caused by weight, but by lack of exercise. I do want to lose weight, but I am really focused on exercising right now because I am pre-diabetic.

Please ask for scientific published studies and share them with us. If this is an opinion, it should be stated as such by your nutritionist. People can workout out tirelessly and never reduce their weight, and can even gain! The best weight management strategy is and always has been CICO. Please and thanks in advance for updating us.
  • jmbfit4me
    jmbfit4me Posts: 5 Member
    Hi all! I too am prediabetic...I have been for 6 years, but most of the time you can't tell when looking at my blood tests. When I found out, I was told to lose 10% of my weight at the time and to go low on carbs until my blood sugar came down. It worked. I'm still overweight (and working on it) but the prediabetes is in check...it's not going way and from what I know there is no 'cure'. But, it can be controlled with some healthy lifestyle changes...and both diet and exercise play a role. I've experimented with myself over the years and I've learned that I don't have to eliminate carbohydrates, but I do need to limit them ... and not eat too many in one sitting causing my blood sugar to spike (which usually causes me to feel extremely sluggish). I also try to choose everything as close to unrefined as possibile...but I'm lucky in that sense because I prefer wheat to white, for example and I love vegetables and legumes (which all play an important role in keeping my blood sugar level). However, I think the primary factor is exercise...when I don't, my body has trouble metabolizing the glucose which starts to accumulate in my blood and then my numbers go up...both blood sugar and weight. So, in my experience, a combination of both diet and exercise has helped me a lot.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!