Do You Think There's Age Limit On Certain Clothes ?

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think people should wear what they want, HOWEVER, in practical terms there are limits because what you choose to wear sends a message to others about who you are, and people do judge you based on that. I will admit I judge people all the time based on how they dress, and I know they do the same to me. Certain styles just cream "trying too hard" or "trashy".

I'm not going to wear things clearly aimed at teenagers or things a cheap hooker would pick. My skirts are almost all form fitting and above the knee, some several inches above the knee...but I will not wear a neon colored/ loud print super tight short skirt that rides up my butt. I do wear skinny jeans...in a dark wash that can be dressed up...but not the ones that come with rips and streaks and other gimmicks. I do wear nice t-shirts, but don't wear logo t-shirts (unless it is a free one I will run in).

Women in their late 30s, 40's and older can wear these things if they want...but if they do they should just be conscious of how people might perceive them. If they're okay with it, then good for them.

One note on juniors clothes: I am not the typical pear shape many women are. I have relatively narrow hips with a medium waist. I have trouble buying adult jeans that fit correctly...if the waist fits, the hips will almost certainly be too large and look terrible. If I buy to fit the hips, the waist will be very tight. I do buy junior sized jeans. Not the ones that look "juniory". The simple ones that look like ones sold in the women's departments. They fit better if you are built like me!!! I've also bought some skirts in juniors for the same reason. Not everything in that department looks like it is targeted at teenagers.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Jen12143 wrote: »
    @TheRoadDog I have an 8 year old daughter and I drill into her head that the only opinion that matters is hers, while at the same time teaching her to respect herself. It's a tough balance, especially when females are our worst enemies. Seems it's always a competition at who is the tallest, prettiest, skinniest, etc. Just have to have thick skin!
    Good for you. Women are the hardest on each other. I have three daughters and I notice that whenever two of them are together, the third one is always the topic of conversation. Doesn't matter which two.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Age limit? Nah. The contents of my closet run the gamut from Forever 21 to Ann Taylor. If it fits and is flattering and I like it, I don't then go through a fourth mental process of "am I too old to wear this?"

My husband was recently wondering if he dressed too "young" with his cargo shorts and chucks. (I laughed at him and said NO - I like his casual look). So this isn't strictly a women's discussion.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I would understand kids and thongs / stripper heels
    But how about adults in forever21 / aero, low rise jeans and prom dresses ?

Someone is jealous.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    I feel that no one over the age of six should wear tights as pants. That's a horrible look no matter how great your body.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Why does everyone get so hung up on what other people are wearing? Life is way too short to spend it all judging and being condescending toward other people's choices simply because you don't agree with them.

I don't give a *kitten* what other people wear as it has no effect on me or what I am doing. I've always dressed unconventionally and I've always dressed in a way that somehow "offends" people who don't "get it" as though there were some hidden message in the way I dress as opposed to "I dress this way because I like to".

What I wear now most days is based on comfort, but my "dress up" is not your atypical fancy dress as I find it to be boring and not indicative of my personality. However, that doesn't mean I am not aware of how to dress for certain events or "fit the part" when I need to.

There is also no article of clothing that is "off limits" to other people. If it fits and you like it, then go for it. Again, life is too damn short to be hung up on this *kitten*.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    I wouldn't shop @ F21, but not because I can't rock their clothes. I just don't do cheap.

if only we were all so lucky. :noway:

I'm about 4 years too late, but I hate when people make remarks like this. If someone is able to purchase nicer, more quality items, there's a fair chance luck doesn't have a thing to do with it. I imagine they, like me, worked for it. I didn't get "lucky", (no silver spoon for me), but I have worked my *kitten* off so that I can enjoy nice things.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I'm middle aged, I shop for my own clothes, I buy what I like with my own money. I wear what I want, when I want, wherever I want. "The Fashion Police" can keep their opinions to themselves or be prepared for me to be equally critical of their clothing choices. Life is too short to care about anyone else's opinions about what I wear, I'll live my life as I choose.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    I generally never wear anything more than 20 years old, with a couple of notable exceptions. When it comes to underwear and socks, generally five years is the max. Dress clothes are classic, so never go out of style, but 20 years is usually the max there, before they wear out.

I spend a lot of time in either shorts and tee shirts, or jeans and polos, and they can last as long as ten years, depending on brand and quality. Duluth Trading Co. makes jeans that last FOREVER!

I have a couple of vintage tee shirts from way back when that I will never let go of...one from July 28, 1973 (friend me if you know the significance of that date!) and one from 1982 from KFAT radio in Gilroy CA (friend me if you remember KFAT!)

So yeah, there is an age limit on certain clothes...
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    While people can appreciate or dislike something someone is wearing based on fit, color, etc., it’s none of our business what anyone else wears, just like it’s no one else’s business what we wear. If that older lady in her cut off shorts is happy, go for it, no one’s forcing me to stare at her butt. I can just look elsewhere.

As to the memes and that “poorly dressed.com”, yikes, now *that* is in poor taste and really a low-class thing to do.

what are you wearing?

I'm wearing a pair of dark wash blue jeans that are honestly getting a little baggy around the waist (woo), had to wear a belt today. Paired with a 3/4 length sleeve button-down blouse (cream colored) with a fitted, black blazer and a pair of flats - but as soon as I'm in for the night (need to walk the dog one more time before bed) I'm going to change into my comfy leggings and an oversized tee shirt (loungewear). Why do you ask? What are you wearing?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Is 37 too young to start sporting a mumu?
    Asking for a friend.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Men have it easier in this regard. My 70-year-old dad and 7-year-old son could wear the same golf shirt and cargo shorts combination and neither one would look inappropriately dressed. I, on the other hand, would look silly dressed like a middle schooler (although the "in" look among middle schoolers here now are those awful Simply Southern tee shirts that are the opposite of my personal aesthetic.)

I have items in my closet from Forever21...and last week I just bought my first purchase from Chico's (which I think means I am officially old). There is no mall store that I would rule out, but my wardrobe is carefully curated. I would say the majority of items in a store like Forever21, Charlotte Russe, or Aeropostale are going to be too "young" for me...just as much of what I'd find at Talbots or Chicos is to "mature" for my taste. Still, I could find things to buy in any of those places...whether it's a very "of-the-moment" trendy piece not worth spending much on since it will be passé by next season in one of the "fast fashion" juniors-oriented stores, or a classic basic piece that fills a necessary void in my wardrobe.

Last summer I bought a couple of rompers. I hemmed and hawed about whether I was too old to get away with wearing them, but decided that they looked cute for the park or the beach, or a casual brunch. I certainly wouldn't put them on to go to the opera. It's just a matter of dressing appropriately for the occasion. I held off for a few years on the ripped jeans look, until they became so ubiquitous that it was easier to find jeans that were distressed than not. Living in Florida, I wear shorts all the time...but I have figured out that a 4" inseam is my sweet spot. Shorter than 3" feels a little too young for me, and longer than 5" is just unflattering to my legs.

When I was younger, I imagined my 40something self would dress much more conservatively than I actually do now. On the other hand, I often look at the clothes in the stores that cater to teenaged girls and think if I had a daughter, I would never let her out of the house in that. My local mall is filled with stores selling (what I would consider) club wear for 22-year-olds. I am amazed that they stay in business with such a niche market. It's not that the clothes are too sophisticated/sexy for teenagers or too youthful/sexy for the over-30s. It's just that there are so few times and places that these clothes are actually appropriate. They aren't school clothes, or work clothes, or casual hanging around during the day clothes. These are clothes for a Saturday night at 10 pm. Period.

Please excuse my dissertation. In conclusion, here is an image of those Simply Southern tees that I just don't get, but are all the rage among 12-year-old girls here.

6078-DEFAULT-l.jpg
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    While people can appreciate or dislike something someone is wearing based on fit, color, etc., it’s none of our business what anyone else wears, just like it’s no one else’s business what we wear. If that older lady in her cut off shorts is happy, go for it, no one’s forcing me to stare at her butt. I can just look elsewhere.

As to the memes and that “poorly dressed.com”, yikes, now *that* is in poor taste and really a low-class thing to do.

what are you wearing?

I'm wearing a pair of dark wash blue jeans that are honestly getting a little baggy around the waist (woo), had to wear a belt today. Paired with a 3/4 length sleeve button-down blouse (cream colored) with a fitted, black blazer and a pair of flats - but as soon as I'm in for the night (need to walk the dog one more time before bed) I'm going to change into my comfy leggings and an oversized tee shirt (loungewear). Why do you ask? What are you wearing?

More important question: WHY resurrect a FOUR year old thread?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member

what are you wearing?

today...

plain black crew neck t-shirt

dark wash jeans

red vans
  • Motorsheen
    I would have posted sooner but I was pulling my thong out of my 40 year old butt crack

this thread somehow needs more photographs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    What does it matter? I try to focus on myself, not other people. If it bothers you, don't look.
    Sometimes you can't help it. There have been many times I've gone to events with my wife and a lot of the "dancers" (over 60 females mostly) are wearing skirts the length of a cheerleaders uniform. If they are out their dancing on the floor, it's hard not to notice.
    But all in all, it's up to the person. Personally I think there is clothing that's designed to enhance that person figure in their current state.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    WhatAnAss wrote: »
    I say if you like it..AND IT FITS YOU...then go for it. Age has nothing to do with your style.
    Well yeah it does. No one would let their daughter wear skimpy outfits to school if they were in first grade up to at least high school.
    If it's an ADULT, then hey whatever floats your boat. But don't always expect compliments.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Motorsheen
    BZAH10 wrote: »

what are you wearing?

More important question: WHY resurrect a FOUR year old thread?

Why not? I wasn't on this site four years ago, does that mean I can't comment? I'd rather necro a thread with opinions in it than to post an entirely new thread...

More than a dozen people have responded, so clearly it's interesting and engaging enough that people want to share their opinions.

fair enough

next question: Your bones, just how lazy are they?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    41T4SIv7GxL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg