Calling all runners...

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sorry that this is probably more of a vent, but why do people think it's okay to comment on my run performance (or lack of) when I'm out on the bike/run/recreation trail? I was on my long run today and it already wasn't going well as I was having stomach issues before starting the run, and my shoe was rubbing me the wrong way and my heart rate was spiking.

A woman who was walking of all things, decided to comment to me that I'm moving faster than her and then later, a biker had to tell me something along the lines of keep at it or you'll get there or something like that.

I'm sure (or hoping) they were thinking they were doing well by giving me encouragement, but it only makes me feel worse because it just feels like pitty talk, like they think I'm going to just give up. It just draws attention to my many years of bad experiences with running.

But out of all this, I found out that I feel much more at peace when running the offshoot grass/dirt trails; my heart rate stays down, my legs don't hurt as much, I forget about everything else, and I don't constantly look at my Garmin to see how much longer my run segments is. I just get lost in the moment and go with the flow.

They saw you struggling and thought by offering some words of encouragement it would cheer you up and give you a boost to keep going.They thought they were doing a good thing. I think that's nice, and most people wouldn't mind. Personally i wouldn't do it, but that's just me, i don't do this sort of things.
    However yesterday, after having spent 2 days feeling crappy (fever, chills,headache) from having the COVID vaccine,before i went for my long run , i asked my husband to tell me i can do it, cause i felt i would probably give up half way and would have to walk the rest of the way home.He told me i could do it ,and off i went. Would i have done it anyway even if he hadn't told me?Yes .Did i feel better knowing he believed in me? yes i did..
    And i did consider stopping multiple times, but i'm so lazy that i didn't want to have to walk all that way back home (it was a chilly morning).
    So i'd say,if a comment is well meant, accept it and move on doing your thing. :smile:
  • lottiecatte
    lottiecatte Posts: 8 Member
    I just started running again for the first time since 2010 after a pretty horrific knee injury left me in permanent pain. Starting slowly but realising I was wrong when I thought I'd never run again is so thrilling!
  • DuchessDiona
    DuchessDiona Posts: 53 Member
    I just started running again for the first time since 2010 after a pretty horrific knee injury left me in permanent pain. Starting slowly but realising I was wrong when I thought I'd never run again is so thrilling!

Congrats! Happy for you!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sorry that this is probably more of a vent, but why do people think it's okay to comment on my run performance (or lack of) when I'm out on the bike/run/recreation trail? I was on my long run today and it already wasn't going well as I was having stomach issues before starting the run, and my shoe was rubbing me the wrong way and my heart rate was spiking.

A woman who was walking of all things, decided to comment to me that I'm moving faster than her and then later, a biker had to tell me something along the lines of keep at it or you'll get there or something like that.

I'm sure (or hoping) they were thinking they were doing well by giving me encouragement, but it only makes me feel worse because it just feels like pitty talk, like they think I'm going to just give up. It just draws attention to my many years of bad experiences with running.

But out of all this, I found out that I feel much more at peace when running the offshoot grass/dirt trails; my heart rate stays down, my legs don't hurt as much, I forget about everything else, and I don't constantly look at my Garmin to see how much longer my run segments is. I just get lost in the moment and go with the flow.

All I can say is that you better grow thicker skin if you ever run a long race because you will hear alot of that. I appreciate it, because at least they're noticing that I'm still in the race. I ran a trail Marathon in June and I had about 30 people, at least, makes comments. I don't take offence to it and I'm not embarrassed by myself, though, either. Sounds like it's your issue, not theirs. You could always ignore them if it bothers you so much.

Edited to add: These comments were from other runners, but add even more to that when you factor in the spectators' comments.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2021
    I've been in races and am quite used to people commenting/cheering/etc, and understand this, but this was a training run, not a race. I guess I was seeing it as being at the gym; I wouldn't go up to someone during their workout and start commenting to them about their workout. Maybe I need to get a treadmill to have my workout to myself, but I also like to be outside.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    @SwtHedgehog - If you've got a place to put a treadmill, and can afford it, absolutely I'd recommend it. Go do other outdoor things for the vitamin D. My treadmill is the best investment I've ever made! This winter the bearings in the roller went out, and I was DEVASTATED for the 3 weeks I waited for Amazon to deliver new bearings. I had to run out in the ice and snow! I was nearly hit by a car! I really enjoyed the temperature, though - surprisingly. I thought it might be too cold, but it turns out I have more tolerance for cold while exercising than I previously thought. The bearings from Amazon didn't last too long, and I wound up buying a replacement roller from Sole. But I've just bought another set of bearings, too - to have on hand, so I can quickly repair the roller, even if it's a short-term fix. It will last long enough to get another new roller!
  • nessashaste
    nessashaste Posts: 10 Member
    I usually run outside and it's been amazing for my immune system, i haven't been sick in years. But yeah, i've been at it for years and my body is used to it, still a good way to burn some calories. I'm slow runner and i usually run 7-10 km 3-5 times a week, more when i got time and less when it's really bad weather.

Running is awesome and it saved my life in many ways. Mentally i'm improved a lot too so it's not just physical.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Started running at the ripe old age of 43 March of this year (barely could run a 0.25 mile continuously) and did my first 10K in June and it was hot. Going to try for a half marathon in October... Longest run so far is just over 10K.. so got to step it up...
  • SwtHedgehog
    I love running outside in the winter; one of my favorite races is the St. Paul Securian Run the last weekend in January. I didn't make it this year because of Covid, but I'm looking forward to it next year.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I haven't raced in the winter, yet. The first race of the season is usually the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle, in Chicago - it's generally pretty chilly for standing around in the corrals, but I've always enjoyed the race itself. My last race of the season is usually a Turkey Trot - on Thanksgiving Day. The past few years, I've run in Palatine, because they host a 5 mile run - the longest distance I can find locally on Turkey Day, itself. I am disappointed in Roselle, who named their race "Exploding Turkey Trot" because it was intended to fund their 4th of July Fireworks - but renamed it after only a few years. Now it's the "Turkey Tango" which I just can't get excited about. Last year I ran a virtual 10k. It wasn't the same, at all.

I guess maybe I should look for some winter races. Something that I can do packet pickup the day before and not stand around before the race for too long...
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member

@SwtHedgehog Reading this the entire time I thought that was helpful. I know I’ve offered “supportive” comments to other runners and have always considered them coming from a positive place. It’s entirely up to the listener on if it’s positive or not. I guess my thought is that it’s nice to see people out there working (some days they are having great days, other days not) but as long as they are making effort they are winning. I know when I’m struggling on a run it’s nice to hear a supportive comment from someone else working at their goals. They could be faster, slower, sprinting, walking, it’s just nice to hear them saying positive things. Hopefully you can find a place to run that supports you.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021

They saw you struggling and thought by offering some words of encouragement it would cheer you up and give you a boost to keep going.They thought they were doing a good thing. I think that's nice, and most people wouldn't mind. Personally i wouldn't do it, but that's just me, i don't do this sort of things.
    However yesterday, after having spent 2 days feeling crappy (fever, chills,headache) from having the COVID vaccine,before i went for my long run , i asked my husband to tell me i can do it, cause i felt i would probably give up half way and would have to walk the rest of the way home.He told me i could do it ,and off i went. Would i have done it anyway even if he hadn't told me?Yes .Did i feel better knowing he believed in me? yes i did..
    And i did consider stopping multiple times, but i'm so lazy that i didn't want to have to walk all that way back home (it was a chilly morning).
    So i'd say,if a comment is well meant, accept it and move on doing your thing. :smile:
    @jennypapage 💯 agree with this
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    @lottiecatte congrats. Enjoy every mile of it 😁😁

• MikeRunsDaily2021
    dethstar77 wrote: »
    Started running at the ripe old age of 43 March of this year (barely could run a 0.25 mile continuously) and did my first 10K in June and it was hot. Going to try for a half marathon in October... Longest run so far is just over 10K.. so got to step it up...

@dethstar77 that’s awesome. Congrats on your progress and keep at it 👍🏻👍🏻😁😁
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    I love running outside in the winter; one of my favorite races is the St. Paul Securian Run the last weekend in January. I didn't make it this year because of Covid, but I'm looking forward to it next year.
    @SwtHedgehog That’s cool, I almost tried that race two years ago 😁😁
  • SwtHedgehog

It's a fun race, and too be superficial, the race packet is awesome. Before the race, you get your bib and shirt (always very nice). After the race, you get a bag and go down the line, like Halloween.
    The only thing I still haven't figured out is the chili samples before the race. I have never had any, it just feels like a bad idea.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021

It's a fun race, and too be superficial, the race packet is awesome. Before the race, you get your bib and shirt (always very nice). After the race, you get a bag and go down the line, like Halloween.
    The only thing I still haven't figured out is the chili samples before the race. I have never had any, it just feels like a bad idea.

@SwtHedgehog that’s awesome. Very good sounding race. Want chilli before the races??? 🤣🤣🤣 I don’t think so 🤣🤣🤣

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

During the Pittsburgh Marathon a few years ago my knee had enough by mile 18 and I was forced to run/walk (mostly walk) the last 8 miles. It took me as long to finish the last 6 as it did to run the first 18 (and they were slower than normal). Now I'm used to finishing races in the top 10-15% of the pack. This day I was nearly last. As I was making my way thru the streets I heard all kinds of 'encouragement'. All it really did was piss me off. This was the worst run/race of my life and all I could do was smile and nod.

This year after dealing with injury and lack of motivation, I ran a mile race in my home turf. I must have heard people shouting my name 50 times over that mile. I loved it. The encouragement made me faster. I'm sure of it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is 'it depends'. It depends on the situation how encouraging words are taken. Sometimes they really can help while other times they don't. The problem is that random strangers do not know what kind of day your having.

I'll keep giving out encouragement and nodding when others give it too me. At the end of the day I think it helps more than anything. It builds the community
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    I’m coming up to two years after fracturing my patella and I’m still pacing pretty strong. I was so lucky it didn’t end up being too serious.

1fulhbixz1sq.png

Couple days ago.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    I’m coming up to two years after fracturing my patella and I’m still pacing pretty strong. I was so lucky it didn’t end up being too serious.

1fulhbixz1sq.png

Couple days ago.
    @amorfati601070 I’d say that’sa great pace 👍🏻👍🏻