MFP says 1410 calories to maintain.

13»

Replies

• prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Every body is different..I work out strenuosly 6x a week and don't eat back burned calories and if and only if I eat less than 1200... do I lose..it sucks..but it's my reality... age and thyroid have a lot to with my issues..so please people don't start in with I need to eat more..I did that (and all clean veggies and high lean protein yada, yada..) and gained..every body is different... find what works for you and go slow with your increments of up/down..because it takes time to really see how your body is truly responding...:flowerforyou:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    How did you arrive at the number 1410? Is it the same for everyone, no matter what their weight?

No, it will depend on height, weight, body composition, activity level, etc, so it will vary for each person. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    How did you arrive at the number 1410? Is it the same for everyone, no matter what their weight?

No, it will depend on height, weight, body composition, activity level, etc, so it will vary for each person. :)

All of that, plus age and for some people there can be hormonal factors as well.
  • I put your info into an online calculator and it said your maintance was 1607

http://slimband.com/tools-and-resources/bmr?gclid=CNb-5dzImbkCFUJlMgodi20Arg
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    I am also around 63 inches in height and I am 112lbs and MFP has set me at 1608 to maintain, however on my goals i have added in i do 3 30 min workouts a week which i do and usually my workouts are longer but i just have it added like this on MFP to ensure that is the least I can do, keeps me accountable really.

I found the 'in place of a road map' thread helped me massively working my figures when i was loosing and now when i maintaining, I usually eat between 1400-1600 calories per day and I seem to be maintaining fine since May. What I find is if some days are high 1600 or over they will always balance out with other days at the end of the week because there is days I won't eat that much. It is very different for everyone and i'm still very much in the frame of mind of calorie counting even though i've reached my desired weight but it still helps me a lot, maintaining is just as hard as weight loss really.

Right now i'm looking at it as eating around 1400-1500 on rest days and hitting that more on days where i do strength training or the likes, anyways best of luck with it...may take a while but you'll find what works for you. :)
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    I am on maintenance now with the same 1410 calories. Once my weight stabilized to 116, I found that I needed to keep the calories I eat to that number, although I do add some or all of my exercise allowance, especially on Zumba or high cardio days. Otherwise, I can gain if I go over.
    But each of us is different...Do a little experimenting, and find what works for you. Good luck, and congratulations for achieving maintenance status!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    I'm 64 inches and 115 lbs and my maintenance is 1950. With that said, I lift weights 5 days a week, but I don't do any cardio. I think you have to account for lean muscle mass and activity level when figuring maintenance. The best way to do it is to walk your calories up a little at a time after you've been in a deficit for a while and track your weight until you even out. Everyone is different and MFP is only an estimate.

THIS.

The more muscle you have, the more you will burn, the more you can eat.
    So I've changed my goals to lower body fat. I only do cardio (Zumba for fun), otherwise I lift heavy.

I'm 4'11". With lower body fat, I aim to be eating ~1700-1800 calories for maintenance.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    MFP tends to estimate really low for most people. I have to set it to "very active" to get it even close to what I actually need.

When I was 33 I would have said that too. I could eat ANYTHING at that point in my life. In fact, when I was nursing, I couldn't keep weight on and had to push myself not to loose too much.

Now I'm 54. The reason I gained the weight I had to lose is that my metabolism changed (first at 40, then again at 50). My eating didn't change (it may have gotten healthier), my activity levels went up, and I gained weight.

MFP now overestimates my calories, which is why I'm set to sedentary and why people on this forum make snide remarks about me 'depriving' myself at 1200 net calories when I was slowly losing. People's bodies differ. MFP uses a model. You need to find the model that fits your body and find healthy, filling, enjoyable, delicious food that fits your own body's needs.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    I am 5 foot 2 and no matter what my activity level is 1200 a day is always what it comes back to. I think, its a curse for short women! I figure I will always be around 1200 a day even after I start maintaining. So i exercise hard and yes, i do eat some of those calories back because its a treat and I worked hard for them and its the only way i can eat over 1200 a day! Good luck and its so worth it!

It will change--as it should once you switch to maintenance. I am 5'1" and maintaining at 100 lbs and my net calories according to MFP is 1450 (set to lightly active). My TDEE is between 1700 and 1800 depending on the calculator, which is actually in line with what MFP is giving me in terms of total calories.

For what it's worth, I definitely ate over 1200 total when I was losing (sometimes significantly more so).
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    I am 5 foot 2 and no matter what my activity level is 1200 a day is always what it comes back to. I think, its a curse for short women! I figure I will always be around 1200 a day even after I start maintaining. So i exercise hard and yes, i do eat some of those calories back because its a treat and I worked hard for them and its the only way i can eat over 1200 a day! Good luck and its so worth it!

It will change--as it should once you switch to maintenance. I am 5'1" and maintaining at 100 lbs and my net calories according to MFP is 1450 (set to lightly active). My TDEE is between 1700 and 1800 depending on the calculator, which is actually in line with what MFP is giving me in terms of total calories.

For what it's worth, I definitely ate over 1200 total when I was losing (sometimes significantly more so).

Thank you! Something to look forward too now!!!!!!!!! You have made my day!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    At 5'1" (61") and 100 pounds, my sedentary MFP maintenance level is 1330 calories. So, since I want to eat (and drink!), I have to earn it. Just another reason being short is a pain in the butt.