WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    SO...I have a question for you. What is your favorite room in your house, and why?- For me...it is my kitchen. For me, kitchens mean home, family, comfort. When invited to someone else's house, I feel most at ease sitting in their kitchen table. The most comfortable chair in the house is at the kitchen table. My memories of my parents are almost always of them in the kitchen or at the kitchen table. Hands down. I love a kitchen. Whether it is big and fancy and just the way I want it. Or small and something I can get by with.

KJ (Kelly)

There are actually two that tie for favourite right now:

1) Bedroom ... bed cave. Our bedroom is a small dark room which is just the way I want it for sleeping. All we've got in that room are our beds and night tables. And it's got a stack of books I want to get to eventually. I'm reading through them one at a time.

2) Dining room ... in a corner of our "tree house" open plan living space. It's where my current home office is set up and I can see the bay out the front. I would like it better (and it might move into first place) if I decluttered it, which is part of 2021's plan.

This is prior to being furnished with our stuff ...

wihfpbcwir9r.png

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Well Ladies,
    It has been productive and quiet here today. I just looked at the clock and realized it is bedtime! It seems like it stays dark for so long. As soon as it starts to get dark I am ready for bed normally. I hit a second wind tonight. ;)
    Have a great evening, night, or day!
    <3
    Kylia
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Heather - your zoom call with Bea sounds like ours with Michaela. We end up stopping our chats early as we can’t get her to sit and talk to us.

Pip - I love that quilt.

Kylia and Mrs Hoffer - I grew up with views like you have and didn’t appreciate it as much as I should have. I don’t have a view now that I like at all.

Mrs Hoffer - I have been reading my Mother’s diaries since Covid started, very sporadically. She mentions a rolling supper that seemed to be a monthly or quarterly thing with a church group. Appetizers were at one house, main at another and dessert at yet another. The houses were quite far away from one another when I think about it now.

Machka - I feel like rest is productive for me right now as everything I try to do aggravates my hip.
    I received a “new to us” sofa yesterday that my son in law and his friend delivered. It needed vacuumed before we started using so today I did that and Rodger and I managed to get the old couch out. It was a lot of work and I did too much. We moved the couch, the old dishwasher and an old office chair to the driveway and for $50 someone came to take it all to the dump.

I texted with my cousin some today. She is slowly opening up to me. She is anxious to get home, but I hope they keep her for a while yet.
    While I was texting her, my daughter mentioned in a text conversation with her that calling her Grandmother gives her anxiety as she doesn’t want to annoy her. My daughter told me she knows how silly that is. We agreed that we will call her Grandmother together and introduce the idea that she will call on her own at some point.

Right after my daughter told me this, my cousin told me she has to learn to share what’s going on with others.
    I realized that this is one of the drawbacks of texting and not actually talking on the phone. Sometimes when you are scared, struggling, whatever it is, just saying it out loud helps. Also the listener can hear if something is off. I told her that the next time she goes silent on my I’m calling her, that I’m telling her my plan now so she doesn’t panic when I call her out of the blue thinking something is seriously wrong. She laughed and agreed with me.

I’m so sorry I wasn’t picking up the phone sooner, I knew she was struggling because of all the health issues but she had seemed fine the last few weeks. It seems she was hiding it and putting on a brave face for all of us but drowning in her fears.

I will be paying closer attention now.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    Tomorrow, January 26, is Australia Day.

Australia Day is a controversial national day (see article) but nevertheless it is the day we celebrate Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-24/january-26-2021-capital-city-events-guide/13054922

So, a little bit about Australia:

The flag:
    72gsccym60p6.png

The country:
    fb8b3wssm6y8.png

A few Australia facts ... you have to scroll past some vacation ads, then there are some wildlife facts, more vacation ads, then Australian laws, and so on to the bottom of the page.
    https://www.experienceoz.com.au/en/australia-facts

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, livestream church, met Treas at fire hall, 24 mins Leslie Sansone.
    Bonus: 58! mins decluttering keyboard & filing, added Joe and myself to the vaccination waiting list, reconciled and entered 8 (March-Apr) call sheets into NFIRS.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call vet, can I bring Tumble in with Shadow for nails?, check to Cal-Ore, pick up Joe’s watch, Post Office trace missing filters, BiMart, Grocery Outlet, employer letters to Freddie’s, call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, End-February call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    24: Put away digital devices and focus on being in the moment: at some time today with Joe.

Day one of pouring down rain. Nearly an hour decluttering, filing organizing the mess on the keyboard. Down to one pile and one binder. What is it about flattish surfaces that attract paper???

Heather your dawn pictures are gorgeous, so beautiful… from the warm inside ;) Sleet? :noway: “Fart pot” ROTFLMAO!
    Lisa “surprise” cedars, LOL!
    Machka con VERY grats to you and your DH for the 50 k. All things considered that is an accomplishment in which you can take much pride. And Brava for hosting the 600 k for those 3 brave riders.
    KJ What is it about men’s selective hearing? SMH. So excited for your licensing!
    Julie 200 students! Wow. How long is the term?
    Barbie was going to start on our taxes now that I’ve unearthed some of the forms, but chose to focus on the FireHall grant prep work due to its sooner deadline. What you’ve said about decision fatigue resonates, and helps when I remember to simplify. ;)
    Seems impossible to me, like to Betsy, that January is nearly done. Haven’t done even one strength training session (SWSY or BB&B.) Won’t today either, too much running around. Tuesday before zoom chat for sure!
    Katla :cry: :rage::heartbreak: I must believe that poisoner came back as one of his victims, with full knowledge of what he was doing to himself. God forgive me but I’m that vindictive.
    Tracey what you said about kitchen parties and visiting. Mama and Papa used to take Sunday drives, many of which included a drop in visit unannounced. That would be awkward today. When we visited relatives in St. Louis, everyone always gathered in the kitchen, whether or not we were eating. Many warm memories of laughter and good times. Your insights about voice calls vs text are spot on. While I’m much more comfortable texting than talking on the phone, giving the gift of really listening is worth a little discomfort.
    Annie good to see you checking in. You have been in my thoughts.
    Teresa in OH, like what you said about Machka’s ABC challenge and winter doldrums.
    Meg so sorry for your loss. Hope the other cat edging up onto your bed provides some comfort.
    Pip so tell us the quilt’s story?
    Kylia thanks for sharing those dumplings ;)
    Ginny admire your persistence, and energy, to paint doors after a full workday.
    Dee con VERY grats for taking off those 4.9 lbs. Well done!

Church secretary announced that the hospital (next door) had online vaccine waiting list signups for the 65+ population. She offered to help any who aren’t comfortable online or don’t have reliable internet (a common problem in our remote rural county.) Signed both Joe and me up, likely won’t be called ‘til next month. Do I get Shingrix now assuming 2+ weeks before C-19 vax?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 23, weigh/wii: 24/12/36 steps>5592=4608 would have been worse if not for Leslie Sansone, vits=23 log=24 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=18 Tumble 5=21 Shadow 5=21 mfp=24 outside=24 up hill=21
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=3 dance=4 clean 60 mins=6.5 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4 1/24: 140!!!
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=13 play=19 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have heard from my cousin today, my fears were confirmed. I think she is sorry she survived and upset that her husband got to her in time. She is still in hospital and I hope he stays there until she gets the help she needs. I don’t think it had anything to do with her marriage, it seems it’s all her health issues that are not easing off.

If her brain is affected (you mentioned a calcium build-up), that could easily be affecting her judgement.

kymarai wrote: »
    Machka- I think it is wonderful that your husband rode that far. That is quite an accomplishment for both of you. As I have followed your journey since his accident, I have learned a few things that help with my husband. When he was 18, he wrapped his jeep around a tree. Needless to say this was the first trauma to his eyes. His head hit the tree fracturing his skull and damaging the optic nerve in what is now his “good” eye. Several things you have said help me better understand the brain trauma that I am sure is still part of our lives. So thank you!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio preparing for a busy week!

If you look up what each of the parts of the brain is responsible for, there are patterns. For example, my husband damaged his left temporal lobe and a little bit of his frontal lobe and I can see the language and emotional results of that damage.

M in Oz

n5na46hd387l.png

Understanding the Brain
    https://synapse.org.au/fact-sheet/understanding-the-brain/

Effects of Brain Injury
    https://synapse.org.au/understanding-brain-injury/effects-of-brain-injury/

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Tracey and Barbara - Bea is still 4 years old, and will be 5 in March. She does her best! :D The fart pot was actually quite funny, but it would be nice to get some sense out of her. I think the timing was wrong, near tea time after a tiring day. We wanted it earlier, but my son put it back because they wanted to take them all to the park in the sunshine. They were surreptitiously meeting up with one of Max's friends, "by accident ". It's not strictly allowed in lockdown. :o
    She did tell us that Nelly was eating scrambled egg and cheese on her puppy diet and wasn't allowed the biscuits she was eating. Only puppy treats. :D I didn't know they ate cheese!

Hoping my son will find a haggis at this late stage! Expecting him soon to drop it off at the door. I will have to go out to buy a swede (rutabaga), as that is the 'neeps' part of 'tatties and neeps' you have as an accompaniment. I also make the Hairy Bikers whisky sauce. We usually host a small dinner party, but not this year. Just us. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Icy fog this morning. Yuck. My positive thought....we are closer to Spring with each day!

Have a blessed day ladies!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3Kylia- Spring is coming! As of today, we have about 60 more minutes of daylight than we had a month ago! Every day from now until June adds about 2 minutes of daylight per day! Yea! <3

Michele- Check with your local Red Cross chapter! The Red Cross in Michigan and all of the certified trainers have really stepped up in helping people who need certification get certified. Tim (and other non-emergency workers) are able to get certified through zoom trainings. All emergency workers can watch videos, but need to certify in person.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Machka: I do end up cleaning (or at least wiping off the countertops) throughout the day, each time I go to the bathroom. As well as the kitchen sink too! If he's been there, there will be water everywhere! Lol.

Also, we have planted some pine trees along that area of the fence line.... they just take several years to grow large enough to really become much of a wind-breaker. But yes, a terrific idea. Maybe I'll mention to DH about planting a few more pines this spring.

Thanks for the interesting facts and pics (and links) about Australia! I love stuff like this - especially from people who know what they're talking about! Lol.

Tracey: I can remember doing those with our church as well as a kid. Our church called them "travelling suppers". Perhaps it was a 'thing' in the 70's ? We've talked with our little group of doing one of them, but with COVID it just hasn't happened yet.

I'm glad that you are talking with your cousin and she seems to be doing a little better. I too need to work more on picking up the phone and calling family and friends rather than texting all the time. It's just not as personal and I think people NEED that interaction more than we realize sometimes!

Kylia: it's icy fog here too…. I'm glad I'm wfh today and don't have to drive into Columbus in this mess! Stay safe!

Have a great day/evening/night everyone!
    ❤️ Teresa in OH
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    edited January 2021
    Heather,
    Enjoy Burns Night! I'm glad you can still celebrate with haggis, thanks to your son. What an amazing person you raised. :smiley: Glad you had some virtual time with the grands. My husband and I still resist it - simply too exhausting for words.

And speaking of husbands, mine could NOT find his truck key this morning, and we both looked everywhere, inside, outside, every room, looked behind and under dressers, etc., and found out I need to clean under a couple of things, but no joy on finding the key. Even checked with the cat, but she wasn't talking. So he was already an hour late, and just took my car, because he's got an extra key at work (it's a company truck) and planned to come home and swap it back out at noon.

Got a text from him about a half hour after he got to work--he found the key. In his pocket. The same one he checked a dozen times. Bless him, he really does not do well on Mondays...

For you walkers, and wannabe walkers, this is an example of at least a dozen articles I've seen of late citing the same studies: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/if-you-had-to-pick-one-healthy-habit-for-2021-here-s-your-best-choice-1.5852187 The stark reality is in this paragraph:
    "Researchers observed 4,840 participants over the age of 40 for a 10-year follow-up period. They found taking around 8,000 steps a day was linked with a 51 per cent lower risk of death from any cause compared with taking 4,000 steps. Taking 12,000 steps a day was linked with a 65 per cent lower risk than taking 4,000 steps a day."

Just saying...
    Later, my chickens,
    Lisa in AR
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited January 2021
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    DB now in ICU with Covid related pneumonia. Five more family members sick with Covid. All in CA. One is a firefighter who picked it up at work. At the moment I am glad I am not in CA.

Everyone take care Sue in WA

Sue: I'm still catching up on older posts, but how is your DB doing who had COVID related pneumonia? And your other family members? Is everyone doing better now?

❤️ Teresa in OH
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Went round to my local deli and found rutabaga, and cream for the sauce. They rarely have cream, so that was a plus. All set now. Beautiful day, but still ice on the paving stones.
    Yes, Lisa, he seems awfully fond of me, but I often wonder what I've done to deserve it. I was not a traditional 'mum'. :o He seemed to turn into a reasonable human being all by himself when he went to university. I was amazed.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💙💜🧡❤️💛💚🤎🖤