Anybody else deal with food dilemmas?

13»

Replies

• wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    We don't keep junk food in the house, if I want a candy bar or cookies or ice cream or whatever I have to go out and buy 1 serving. A lot of time it's not worth the bother. Sometimes my husband and I go out for ice cream, so it's one serving, and not a half gallon of the stuff. Also saves space in the freezer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    millerjr5 wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    My guiding question would be, "How good is this pie?" because an amazing piece of apple pie is maybe worth having to reshuffle my calories or go for that extra workout. But if it's "meh", well, that's might be toss it or whatever.

Also, there's the option of "just a little bit, no really".

I need to work on the little bit part. It's hard because once I have some, I will just have a little more and before I know it, I ate it all lol.

What helps me moderate in this case is to have had dinner with protein and fiber first.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2021
    vanmep wrote: »
    I wish I could live like the people saying you should be able to keep snacks in your house and develop a healthy relationship with it. But as my husband says, “ if it’s in the house I might get some in my mouth.” I use my discipline for other situations but in my own house I prefer to avoid the situation of snacks whispering my name continuously 🤷‍♀️

It's perfectly fine to be an abstainer rather than a moderator :)

Many of us are a combination of both. For example, many things I can moderate, but foods like Oreos I know will call me and I just cannot bring them into the house.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-happiness-project/201210/are-you-abstainer-or-moderator
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    millerjr5 wrote: »
    Update.....I finished the pie. There was 1/2 of a pie left and I said F-it. Now I have a stomach ache this morning and I regret it but there is some good news from this.
    1. I don't have any left, so it is finally all gone.
    2. When I eat something that upsets my stomach, I tend to keep that feeling and will not eat that food again. When I was a kid, I loved Big Macs from Mcdonalds. When I was 12, I ate the dryest Big Mac you can imagine. It was so gross. Now when I see one, I think of that moment and how nasty it tasted. I am 42 and its been 30 years since I ate a big mac. I think this will have the same effect.

Now you know for next time LOL The human desire to get back on track is usually overcome pretty easily by the F-it mindset, especially when a piece of pie is sitting there. That's exactly is why I bin junk food at midnight on binge days and move on. What isn't there, can't be eaten. PS You'll probably have a piece of pie again. Tastes a lot better than Big Macs.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Huh! Looks like my peach pie has similarly disappeared! I am definitely not a moderator! :D

But seriously I am glad to put the holiday week behind me and get back on track. Onward!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    vanmep wrote: »
    I wish I could live like the people saying you should be able to keep snacks in your house and develop a healthy relationship with it. But as my husband says, “ if it’s in the house I might get some in my mouth.” I use my discipline for other situations but in my own house I prefer to avoid the situation of snacks whispering my name continuously 🤷‍♀️

Oh, I used to be like that. I even used to attend Overeater's Anonymous meetings in my twenties because my bingeing seemed to be out of control, and thought I was powerless over certain foods. Even still, if I'm anxious about something and there's cake or another trigger food I may go sneak some bites when no one is looking (a long-held habit of secret eating from years of restrict-binge cycles). I also will eat too many Triscuit mini crackers if I'm having a glass of wine and my inhibition is lowered. I didn't think I could keep things like a certain kind of chocolate chip cookie in the house without feeling like I needed to eat too many. I don't know exactly when it changed, but most of the time I'm not constantly thinking about eating a trigger food if it's in the house. You may get there too some day :)
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 157 Member
    wsusan162 wrote: »
    We don't keep junk food in the house, if I want a candy bar or cookies or ice cream or whatever I have to go out and buy 1 serving. A lot of time it's not worth the bother. Sometimes my husband and I go out for ice cream, so it's one serving, and not a half gallon of the stuff. Also saves space in the freezer.

That is a great idea!
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 157 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Huh! Looks like my peach pie has similarly disappeared! I am definitely not a moderator! :D

But seriously I am glad to put the holiday week behind me and get back on track. Onward!

Agreed!