Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Calorie Deficit and holding or gaining weight any thoughts on why?

13»

Replies

  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    I would guess a lot of what you're interpreting to be belly fat is actually loose skin with small lumps of fat pulling it down and making it more obvious. It might still retract some, given enough time.

    @Mithridites

    Not the case here. Very conversant with skinfold pinch test to identify fat layer...don't have access to proper calipers anymore but Its pretty obvious.
    there are two places where I do have loose skin (just) I was not that badly overweight. I can just lift theskin laye and its paper thin and quite different.

    thanks for taking the time to post

    cheers

    Andrew
  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    a simple pinch test is showing me that the fat layer around the belly and sides is quite a bit thicker than in other parts.

    But isnt that normal - don't most people have more fat on their belly than other parts of the body, even if at a healthy weight?

    since you are close to ideal weight, perhaps your issue is more re comp than more weight loss - ie strengthen your abdominal muscles so your belly is less flabby?

    Just a thought.

    @paperpudding

    Well it is a common sight today. Many years ago when I was young I lived in rural Africa. Then it was absolutely uncommon to see anyone, male or female, overweight. Even the old Grandma's that had come up in their youth by ox wagon were slimmer than today.

    well, sure - people in rural Africa probably had very little body fat anywhere, but still more on belly than anywhere else.

    and presumably they had a life of physical labour - so they wouldn't have a flabby belly but strong abdominal muscles.

    @paperpudding

    I believe we ate clean, unadulterated veggies and meat, our chickens were antibiotic free and full cream milk was very safe to consume. The air was lead free, and yes everyone walked far more than they do today even in the towns. There were no fast foods, sugar loaded drinks of every kind nor was there the blight of highly processed packaged food loaded with salt and sugars,The first imported fruit I saw was as a late teenager, Oranges from Israel, and lychees. If food was out of season, it was unavailable. It was a very different world believe me, and the effects of the poison we are being supplied in our food and drink is more to blame than exercise, farmers had tractors and workers, office workers still sat in chairs but climbed stairs more I guess.

    Cheers

    Andrew
  • saintor1saintor1 Member Posts: 320 Member Member Posts: 320 Member
    I am not happy that my weight loss has mysteriously stopped since the Holidays. I WAS losing weight last even if I drank (too much) all the fall. Then I turned Turkey dry.... no more weight loss in 12 days lol.... my log is duly maintained and I weight even food like the butter and peanut butter. I started doing cross-country ski everyday, it might be related... At the same time my waist is better, so I have no doubt that it will return... in the meanwhile it sucks, though.
  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    I disagree.

    I would say the effects of muscle strength and weight on people in rural Africa (or anywhere) was a result of amount of calories eaten and physical activity done.

    Not so called poison in foods or eating clean.

    @paperpudding

    On the subject of poison food, and eating clean we will have to agree to disagree.
  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I am not happy that my weight loss has mysteriously stopped since the Holidays. I WAS losing weight last even if I drank (too much) all the fall. Then I turned Turkey dry.... no more weight loss in 12 days lol.... my log is duly maintained and I weight even food like the butter and peanut butter. I started doing cross-country ski everyday, it might be related... At the same time my waist is better, so I have no doubt that it will return... in the meanwhile it sucks, though.

    @saintor1

    As a result of all the information that folks have kindly given me in this thread I am now focused on maintaining and refining my current food and drink strategy. My exercise will also get some refining. The scales are going to get a daily visit and the weight noted....no more!

    If I have a bit of excess water in there or a bit of fat under my skin so be it for now. Prime focus is good quality and quantity of food, rest and exercise to build my strength and we wait on the changes that will come.
  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    I disagree.

    I would say the effects of muscle strength and weight on people in rural Africa (or anywhere) was a result of amount of calories eaten and physical activity done.

    Not so called poison in foods or eating clean.

    @paperpudding

    On the subject of poison food, and eating clean we will have to agree to disagree.


    If you are claiming there are any poisons in our food or eating clean is the secret to weight - then science disagrees too.

    CICO.

    Universal truth.

    @paperpudding

    That assertion is clearly not anywhere near correct, basic research shows independent results that not only weight, but health and wellbeing which is inexorably linked. For the rest it seems that the ONLY science that disagrees, is bought, and vested interest science, or the kind of people that believe things like humankind is only 2000 years old. What is, and what people want it to be are two very different things. A diversity of opinion is good, but misleading information is just that.
  • saintor1saintor1 Member Posts: 320 Member Member Posts: 320 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »

    I have said this before and will say it again. What you say is too simple and too easy.


    True. We now know that your intake of calories is early in the day, there will be less absorption than if you take everything in the night for example. CICO is a good rule of thumb, but requires some nuances.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 6,298 Member Member Posts: 6,298 Member
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    I disagree.

    I would say the effects of muscle strength and weight on people in rural Africa (or anywhere) was a result of amount of calories eaten and physical activity done.

    Not so called poison in foods or eating clean.

    @paperpudding

    On the subject of poison food, and eating clean we will have to agree to disagree.


    If you are claiming there are any poisons in our food or eating clean is the secret to weight - then science disagrees too.

    CICO.

    Universal truth.

    @paperpudding

    That assertion is clearly not anywhere near correct, basic research shows independent results that not only weight, but health and wellbeing which is inexorably linked. For the rest it seems that the ONLY science that disagrees, is bought, and vested interest science, or the kind of people that believe things like humankind is only 2000 years old. What is, and what people want it to be are two very different things. A diversity of opinion is good, but misleading information is just that.


    The only science that disagrees that CICO is what counts for weight loss are vested interest or people believing earth is only 2000 years old ???

    oh dear. :*

  • maronesax1972maronesax1972 Member Posts: 238 Member Member Posts: 238 Member
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I am not happy that my weight loss has mysteriously stopped since the Holidays. I WAS losing weight last even if I drank (too much) all the fall. Then I turned Turkey dry.... no more weight loss in 12 days lol.... my log is duly maintained and I weight even food like the butter and peanut butter. I started doing cross-country ski everyday, it might be related... At the same time my waist is better, so I have no doubt that it will return... in the meanwhile it sucks, though.

    @saintor1

    As a result of all the information that folks have kindly given me in this thread I am now focused on maintaining and refining my current food and drink strategy. My exercise will also get some refining. The scales are going to get a daily visit and the weight noted....no more!

    If I have a bit of excess water in there or a bit of fat under my skin so be it for now. Prime focus is good quality and quantity of food, rest and exercise to build my strength and we wait on the changes that will come.

    Good luck with all of the doctors, scientists and nutritionists giving you advice on this thread!

    Agree. Eat good quality food. Know your TDEE and only target ~300 to ~500 calories less per day. When you eat too little, you actually slow your metabolism.
  • 4ajguthrie4ajguthrie Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    4ajguthrie wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I am not happy that my weight loss has mysteriously stopped since the Holidays. I WAS losing weight last even if I drank (too much) all the fall. Then I turned Turkey dry.... no more weight loss in 12 days lol.... my log is duly maintained and I weight even food like the butter and peanut butter. I started doing cross-country ski everyday, it might be related... At the same time my waist is better, so I have no doubt that it will return... in the meanwhile it sucks, though.

    @saintor1

    As a result of all the information that folks have kindly given me in this thread I am now focused on maintaining and refining my current food and drink strategy. My exercise will also get some refining. The scales are going to get a daily visit and the weight noted....no more!

    If I have a bit of excess water in there or a bit of fat under my skin so be it for now. Prime focus is good quality and quantity of food, rest and exercise to build my strength and we wait on the changes that will come.

    Good luck with all of the doctors, scientists and nutritionists giving you advice on this thread!

    Agree. Eat good quality food. Know your TDEE and only target ~300 to ~500 calories less per day. When you eat too little, you actually slow your metabolism.

    @maronesax1972

    Thanks,

    Andrew
Sign In or Register to comment.