Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Feedback re calories added for exercise/workouts

angel1776angel1776 Member Posts: 15 Member Member Posts: 15 Member
Hi all,

I have started to add my exercise r3egime on and as before, it shows up in your food diary as how many more calories you can have for that day, due to exercise. What I'm not keen on, is that immediately adds it to your daily calories available left. Could it be put into a box below, so that you know that they are there, if you are the type that then uses them, but not auto-added please?

My example: I had 774 calories still left. I added my exercise, but still want to keep my daily calorie intake at a glance. However, now it's showing that I've earned another 780 odd calories, so now my daily available is showing as still another 2100 odd calories. I know it does show how many you've actually used, but I think it would be nicer to have separate and you can click to add, if you do indeed use some exercise calories?

Your thoughts?

Ta. :)

Replies

• durdendurden Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 409 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 409 MFP Staff
    We offer the ability to toggle off exercise calories as a Premium feature. You can do this by going to your Goals page on our website, then under exercise goals turning exercise calories to "Off".
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,218 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,218 Member
    angel1776 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have started to add my exercise r3egime on and as before, it shows up in your food diary as how many more calories you can have for that day, due to exercise. What I'm not keen on, is that immediately adds it to your daily calories available left. Could it be put into a box below, so that you know that they are there, if you are the type that then uses them, but not auto-added please?

My example: I had 774 calories still left. I added my exercise, but still want to keep my daily calorie intake at a glance. However, now it's showing that I've earned another 780 odd calories, so now my daily available is showing as still another 2100 odd calories. I know it does show how many you've actually used, but I think it would be nicer to have separate and you can click to add, if you do indeed use some exercise calories?

Your thoughts?

Ta. :)

It adds to your calorie intake because that is how the tool is meant to be used, unlike the TDEE method, MFP uses the NEAT method which means any exercise you do is not factored into your calorie goal. If it didn't automatically add to the goal, most users probably wouldn't realise they're meant to eat them back and would be netting below the amount that's considered safe for getting adequate nutrition.

I am a bit confused by the numbers you gave too - if you had 774 and then earned 780 calories, your leftover calories would be 1554 not 2100+

If are using another method to arrive to your calorie goal and you're not on Premium and you are manually adding your exercise, you can just add the calorie for the exercise as 1 calorie, that way it won't increase your calorie goal but you will still have a record of exercise done. But I will reiterate that this is not how MFP is intended to work, it is mean to work like this:

gnfo7b3ujhbu.jpg

• cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 30,744 Member Member Posts: 30,744 Member
    You can also just make yourself a note in the Notes section at the bottom of the Exercise page or the bottom of the FOOD page. There are little boxes for notes.

Alternately you could "Track additional measurements" separate from the food and exercise journals by adding a new measurement here by going to MY HOME > Check in > Track Additional Measurements:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

If you do it this way you'll have a Report generated.

So you already have the capability to track it without it being part of a deducted number. You don't have to pay for Premium.