Cut off for “not enough calories”

13»

Replies

• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    Why you losing weight? To look good or health? If it is for health remember weight is not the only thing that keeps you healthy. Food gives you nutrients: vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients. By targeting a very low calorie daily income you will have to restrict and eliminate some foods.
    Check on cronometer.com all the nutrients you are getting (it's a more complete spectrum of this app).
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2021
    The MFP calculator is VERY VERY inaccurate. First of all, work out your BMR then you want to take the BMR and x by (depending on how much you train per week):
    1-3 session a week - BMRx 1.375
    4-5 sessions a week -BMR x 1.55
    5-6 sessions a week BMR x1.725

This will give you your maintenance calories. I personally would then take 300 away from that for a cutting phase calories and 300 if you're in a gaining phase.

When it comes to your macros you want to be looking at a 40/40/ 20 split (Protein, Carbs, Fats ) Ensure you're eating sufficient protein from good sources. You then need to adjust your fats and carbs depending on how you're progressing.

I hope this helps.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    luceegj wrote: »
    The MFP calculator is VERY VERY inaccurate. First of all, work out your BMR then you want to take the BMR and x by (depending on how much you train per week):

This will give you your maintenance calories. I personally would then take 300 away from that for a cutting phase calories and 300 if you're in a gaining phase.

When it comes to your macros you want to be looking at a 40/40/ 20 split (Protein, Carbs, Fats ) Ensure you're eating sufficient protein from good sources. You then need to adjust your fats and carbs depending on how you're progressing.

I hope this helps.

Lucy
    LGX Coaching

"Session" is such a generic term, I don't know how it can be a guide to how many calories one needs. Are you talking about resistance training? Is cardio included?

Not to mention that it doesn't take into account the wildly differing activity levels between individuals outside of exercise (deskjob versus construction worker, lots of chores around the house or not etc.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Thank you. I was confused partly because I get a post saying my diary was under the calorie goal, so I thought that was a good thing. I lost a pound and a half last week so I’m not looking for or getting a rapid weight loss.

if you are using MFP method then you want to hit the goal they gave you every day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    luceegj wrote: »

I hope this helps.

Lucy
    LGX Coaching

"Session" is such a generic term, I don't know how it can be a guide to how many calories one needs. Are you talking about resistance training? Is cardio included?

sounds like a massively confusing formula..

why not just calculate TDEE and go from there..

but hey, I am a simple person ..
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    I've been doing fine with my method. I count calories every day. I exercise almost every day and count those calories (tending to count them as less rather than more, since many apps and websites overcount calories for exercise). I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I try to come out close to but under the calorie goal. I've lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks.