Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    9o1a9r8jzco4.jpg

Is that focaccia?

Nope--you just wrote that you grew up in Italy. Don't recognize pizza bianca?

Same thing. We in the north of Italy call it focaccia, in Rome they call it pizza bianca.

I'm in Rome, so I guess it's pizza bianca.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Milan in the 80s, focaccia was always dimpled so that it would a better hold a drizzle of olive oil on top and was always topped with lovely little crispy bits of rosemary and sometimes garlic..
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    When I lived in Milan in the 80s, focaccia was always dimpled so that it would a better hold a drizzle of olive oil on top and was always topped with lovely little crispy bits of rosemary and sometimes garlic..

There are different types. My favorite is with green olives. There are also different type of dough. In Milan is higher with lots of oil (that makes them so soft) and some salt. If you go to the deep South of Italy they are called schiacciata (translated as pressed). They are lower, with less oil, harder but with more salt.
    I've never had pizza bianca, but I'm sure it has some regional difference as well.
  • acpgee
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

There are different types. My favorite is with green olives. There are also different type of dough. In Milan is higher with lots of oil (that makes them so soft) and some salt. If you go to the deep South of Italy they are called schiacciata (translated as pressed). They are lower, with less oil, harder but with more salt.
    I've never had pizza bianca, but I'm sure it has some regional difference as well.

Now I am craving focaccia. I haven't made it in years. I once short circuited a food processor using it to knead my dough. But now that we have a bread machine I could probably figure out how to do the kneading and proving steps in that to reduce the amount of work. I loved the ones I remember from Milan drizzled with quite a lot olive oil infused with rosemary and garlic that invariably burnt a bit, topped with quite a lot of coarse salt. I will look up the version with olives.
  • TJordan7500
    TJordan7500 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love salads. I hate making them too. I try to use some of the leftovers from dinners to make them (roasted chicken, etc). Trying to have variety in salads is hard when you are allergic to fruits or veggies with seeds.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love salads. I hate making them too. I try to use some of the leftovers from dinners to make them (roasted chicken, etc). Trying to have variety in salads is hard when you are allergic to fruits or veggies with seeds.

Is it a real allergy or diverticulitis?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    k46ori3b36ne.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Salade nicoise. Alistair Little's recipe.
    rzf4x41ppuuc.jpeg

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I had the most wonderful salad in Mexico. I'm trying to replicate it, but can't remember what the vinaigrette contained.

There was a smear of goat cheese with chopped pecans on the bottom of the plate. Topped with beets and then arugula and tiny slices of jicama. there was a drizzle of balsamic on the plate, but the dressing wasn't as strong. I wish I would have asked, and the menu didn't really say. It was awesome.