• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I bookmarked it for later, thank you!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    1. Glad to see your back. I went through a year hiatus myself.
    2. You can experience hypertrophy a bit more efficiently if you lost muscle mass recently or untrained.
    3. Bumping up amount and quality of protien is a reasonable idea as we put on years. We simply aren't as efficient of utilizing protien as we grow towards advanced years.
    4. Define strength as it pertains to you. There are a million definitions of strength.
    5. Same benefit? Maybe, maybe not. There certainly benefits to be had but I wouldn't worry if it is the same. Rather are we adhering to training and are we achieving adaptations towards our goal.

You cutting yourbvolume(reps × sets) in more than half and adding intensity. We have to look at how you are measuring your exertion. You may or may not be getting adequate volume or appropriate intensity with any combo.

So again let's define our goal with a bit more detail and work from there.

I had missed this post earlier. Thank you for all the great points! My goal, as I mentioned earlier, is to be active and strong as I get older (and, let’s face it, sicker). Frankly, other than my cancer, I’ve never been healthier. I’m at a healthy weight, I don’t smoke or do drugs, I drink very little, I eat well, and I’m pretty active. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I feel great. I want to take advantage of this time to get as fit as possible, bc I know there will be times in the future that I won’t be able to climb a flight of stairs or walk around the block...until my next round of treatments, which will make me feel great again...etc. ad nauseam

As a person who has survived late stage cancer and deals with a progressive autoimmune disease I have some idea what you mean.

What equipment do you have access to?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    IMO, I go by feel with each client. It's really dependent on response by each individual. Some do okay with a 3x6 program, some by 5x5 and some 3x10. Whatever you pick, if you're PROGRESSIVE on it, then you're improving and getting stronger. I will echo Chieflrg's advice on bumping your protein because atrophy did set in and to get muscle back you need to feed it. I hope your recovery goes well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I had missed this post earlier. Thank you for all the great points! My goal, as I mentioned earlier, is to be active and strong as I get older (and, let’s face it, sicker). Frankly, other than my cancer, I’ve never been healthier. I’m at a healthy weight, I don’t smoke or do drugs, I drink very little, I eat well, and I’m pretty active. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I feel great. I want to take advantage of this time to get as fit as possible, bc I know there will be times in the future that I won’t be able to climb a flight of stairs or walk around the block...until my next round of treatments, which will make me feel great again...etc. ad nauseam

As a person who has survived late stage cancer and deals with a progressive autoimmune disease I have some idea what you mean.

What equipment do you have access to?

Treadmill, elliptical, big ball, bench, dumbbells (20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 5) I’m running 25 minutes on the treadmill (planning to go outdoors when it’s warmer) and 35-45 minutes of strength training
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, but have read books and follow those who are. I agree with others about cutting down the number of exercises you're doing and focusing more on progressive overload with more compound movements. It's definitely more bang for the buck, and when it comes to strength training more (in terms of types of exercises performed) is usually not better.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You absolutely can do that. It's called progressive overload.

My advice would be to get yourself a logbook (this can be a plain notebook) plan out your workouts and log the weight and reps each week. Once you have exceeded a rep range 10-12 (you manage to do 13-14 with that weight) then up the weight and just repeat that.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    luceegj wrote: »
    You absolutely can do that. It's called progressive overload.

My advice would be to get yourself a logbook (this can be a plain notebook) plan out your workouts and log the weight and reps each week. Once you have exceeded a rep range 10-12 (you manage to do 13-14 with that weight) then up the weight and just repeat that.

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Thanks! That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing since I started back in November. I can see my progress and track how long I’ve been doing a specific weight, how many reps, etc.

It’s a puzzle game, getting the most bang out of your buck. I’ve cut down on sets but increased weight & reps and incorporated compound exercises. I’m more efficient now (therefore less bored) and feeling stronger! Also my jeans are too big so that’s always a plus. Thanks again everyone! 😁💪