Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exercise/program defines BORING for you?

Options

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Nearly all exercise machines: stair stepper, rower, bike, etc. I think stationary bikes are the worst. I can't imagine doing a spin class.

I tolerate the treadmill because it's useful to have in the house and makes it easy for me to use every day. But I much prefer to walk outside when the weather allows for it. I enjoy lifting weights but hate doing crunches or other ab exercises. They feel like torture.
  • Jadiva18
    Jadiva18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What bores me is doing the same thing daily. Now I change it up, bike outside, yoga, pilates reformer, dance videos, elliptical. When it's different from the day before I am more inclined to exercise.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Anything in a gym that doesn't involve equipment I don't already have. I like machines and weights just fine, but overall I'm way more into 'play' for my cardio. Walk, run, canicross, dog agility, horseback riding, hiking, swimming, paddle-boarding. Things that, again, feel like PLAY to me.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Back in my school days I used to think I disliked running, but then I moved from the track to cross country and loved it.

Fast forward a couple decades, and my chief fitness love has become lifting. For a while I thought I disliked cardio (my knees wouldn't allow me to run much anymore), but then I realized I disliked STEADY cardio. Treadmill, bike, whatever... if you simply set a tempo or intensity and a timer, forget it. But if I'm constantly changing things up... jog a minute, walk a minute, raise the incline for a minute, go back to flat... then I'm ok with it. Not a true HIIT level of intensity change, but changing SOMETHING.

Which all told is very odd, as I'm the kind of person who prefers routine, doing the same things the same way day after day... it just makes me feel comfortable. (And drives my wife crazy, as she thrives on constant change of routine and environment.) But during my workout, change is the name of the game. Maybe that's why I love lifting so much... from minute to minute (even second to second) something is constantly changing, whether lifting to rest, going from BB bench press to DB press, chest one day and back another...
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    It isn’t so much “boring” that makes me avoid an exercise. Even when I wasn’t anywhere near as disabled as I am now. It has always been the company I was with.

Example: Hiking. If all someone wants to do is get to the top of the mountain as fast as possible, take a picture, and hike down? Count me out. (yes. I acknowledge this is what some people like, and that’s OK for them)
    But if someone wants to enjoy the rocks and trees? Maybe sit 3/4 of the way up for half an hour and listen to the birds? Maybe draw and write some haiku? I’ll happily accompany that person if they wish.

I can workout on my NuStep in my living room, and talk to my partner. To me that’s not boring. Or, if my partner or my husband isn’t around, I will push myself as hard as I can, making a game out of how fast I can pedal, and for how long.

Other people definitely would consider that boring. But, like golf, the real challenge is against yourself. And I do like that.
  • mistyrbell9588
    mistyrbell9588 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i hate doing exercise just for the sake of exercise. i like to be productive in my cardio, gardening or walking with my kids. i absolutely hate running or doing aerobic type of videos.
  • ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Anything that isn't weight lifting or hiking is a thing I don't enjoy.

I can run and cycle long distances but I'd really rather not, so I don't. Swimming is only good if there is a swim up bar. Gym classes don't do it for me because I'm not in control of the music. Yoga makes me fall asleep.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The gym bores me to tears.
    I'd rather exercise outside - or even at home.
    I just don't like being around people I don't know sweating on machinery 🤮
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I just realized I'm really bored when I stretch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So true!

I could do the negative drops for an Achilles repair protocol multi-times daily without too much issue, but trying to do desired stretches for HHT is so boring.
    I'd be kicked out of a yoga class likely for snoring.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I had a treadmill, walking on it bored me to no end.
  • Jcmhfp
    Jcmhfp Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Treading water warm ups - can't use an electric device as a distraction and watching the clock hands slowly wind around makes it all the worse.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i hate the treadmill (really its running i hate). and i have a sneaking suspicion that's what my doctor is going to relegate me to doing once he clears me for the gym again. because if it were anything other than walking, he'd let me do the elliptical- which i DO love (as long as i have music).

i couldnt get into yoga, either. that was MIND NUMBINGLY boring. i almost think i would rather try to.... run.
  • suzleigh1
    suzleigh1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. I do eight 5-minute stationary cycle rides per week during and after my workouts — 5 min is as much as I want to do. Pain wise, anything on my knees (broken kneecap several years ago).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    i hate the treadmill (really its running i hate). and i have a sneaking suspicion that's what my doctor is going to relegate me to doing once he clears me for the gym again. because if it were anything other than walking, he'd let me do the elliptical- which i DO love (as long as i have music).

i couldnt get into yoga, either. that was MIND NUMBINGLY boring. i almost think i would rather try to.... run.

You're not going to like to read this, but yoga can evolve into much more than mind-numbing. You just have to actually focus MORE. You have to focus more on letting go of your thoughts. It's actually pretty freak'n cool.

I used to think swimming laps was the most boring thing in this quadrant of the known Universe. I would think, "OH! Look! A black line! .... OH! Look! A black line!" Awful. But I did it anyway because it's a good activity. I have no idea when, how or why, but one day that black line became my friend. Always there. Always welcoming. Never judging. Just steady while I went back and forth and back and forth. I kind of got into the same state of mind I used to get when I practiced yoga more. Yes, it was always a challenge to use yoga to help let go of thoughts, but practicing made huge differences in many aspects of my life. It probably helps because of the way I swim. I use a dive mask and snorkel. Once I put my head in the water, I don't take it out of the water for a half hour or an hour or however many laps I'm thinking I'll swim. The outside world is kept out, and I can just geek out on feeling the water. Yoga was like that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

You're not going to like to read this, but yoga can evolve into much more than mind-numbing. You just have to actually focus MORE. You have to focus more on letting go of your thoughts. It's actually pretty freak'n cool.

I used to think swimming laps was the most boring thing in this quadrant of the known Universe. I would think, "OH! Look! A black line! .... OH! Look! A black line!" Awful. But I did it anyway because it's a good activity. I have no idea when, how or why, but one day that black line became my friend. Always there. Always welcoming. Never judging. Just steady while I went back and forth and back and forth. I kind of got into the same state of mind I used to get when I practiced yoga more. Yes, it was always a challenge to use yoga to help let go of thoughts, but practicing made huge differences in many aspects of my life. It probably helps because of the way I swim. I use a dive mask and snorkel. Once I put my head in the water, I don't take it out of the water for a half hour or an hour or however many laps I'm thinking I'll swim. The outside world is kept out, and I can just geek out on feeling the water. Yoga was like that.

yeah..... im not so good at turning my brain..... off. lol
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

yeah..... im not so good at turning my brain..... off. lol

That's the weird part about yoga. It's not turning the mind off, it's just adjusting focus. Totally interesting. In a way it's like running serious whitewater. Anything that's far away is irrelevant. For whitewater, it's maybe 100 feet or 500. For yoga it's your cranium.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,191 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Indoor cardio machines in a gym with strangers. Ugh.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find all "exercise" boring. But I like "activity" including intense activity. After I retired, I set out to get back in shape, but no "exercise" kept me engaged. I thought back to the time in my life I was in the best shape and it was in my 30's doing martial arts. So at 68, I got into Muay Thai kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I take seven classes a week. What I think it is for me is that it is always different, there is always a coach or a training partner pushing me and it requires the use of my brain as well as my body.

I am sore every day, but I am stoked about it. I have looked at estimates online and at my weight, it looks like I am burning about 6,500 calories a week. I still have to watch what I eat, of course.